It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fire and Forget: DARPA successfully tests revolutionary self-guiding bullet (VIDEO)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This looks neat but at the same time its scary..

US military research agency DARPA says it is homing in on its long-term ambition of producing self-guided bullets, after staging a test in which a sniper was able to shoot at a target at a radically wrong angle, and yet still hit it perfectly

What do you think ATS ?

Positive step forward towards the future or negative?

Let me know what you think!

Humbly

LSH

rt.com...
edit on 0215053172175th by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Watching the vid it would appear the bullet loses most of its velocity while turning!

What use is a bullet that tickles?

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Pretty cool. I remember watching a story about this about 10 or so years ago. where they did the exact same thing with a .50 using a movable nose cone on the bullet. It wasn't nearly as maneuverable as this thing is. And it was trying to adjust it's flight so that it would land in between the chinks of armor on various light armor vehicles. It worked perfectly then. I bet they've had a working version of something like this for a while now.

And although it's pretty cool. It's damned scary.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Nothing a fifty cal can do is going to tickle.

That's a round you could use as a melee weapon. You could punch it through a skull if you had to, with only the use of main strength, let alone via any method of propelled guidance.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Makes me feel slightly relieved that if WW3 is on the way, this is yet another advantage we have over our potential enemies. I'm certainly no expert but, in my eyes a 50. cal is precision artillery, and with the added bonus of a guided system you could take out small and difficult targets and infrastructure or capabilities in a manner that would hardly be noticeable compared to say shelling or shooting a missle at the target. With the goal of making something virtually useless though everything could appear intact. the LRAD, Railgun, and now this... I have to say DARPA may be evil but damn the engineering is so impressive.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Obviously a cure to miss some poor shiite coming out through his bedroom door, or perhaps walking past a building that's about to get hit by a rocket or armoured drone... not
I mean, do these things have someones name on it? IGB's (intelligently guided bullets) It's fecking hilarious, has nobody heard of a mirror even, like how do you deploy them..from a heat source, a shadowy figure round the block and then you shoot yourself up the arse, or someone elses.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: hxc408
Makes me feel slightly relieved that if WW3 is on the way, this is yet another advantage we have over our potential enemies. I'm certainly no expert but, in my eyes a 50. cal is precision artillery, and with the added bonus of a guided system you could take out small and difficult targets and infrastructure or capabilities in a manner that would hardly be noticeable compared to say shelling or shooting a missle at the target. With the goal of making something virtually useless though everything could appear intact. the LRAD, Railgun, and now this... I have to say DARPA may be evil but damn the engineering is so impressive.

One spent round recoverd and your opponent will soon be producing the same bullet , just saying....

The advantage will be short lived

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: hxc408

I sincerely hope that is a tongue-in-cheek post, I really do.
edit on 11-7-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy
Well the portion about being relieved should WW3 arise was not true. But otherwise the rest of what I said I meant. Why? I said I wasn't an expert if I was mistaken about the capabilities. But other than that I find the technology to be incredible. Why would that be tongue in cheek?

One spent round recoverd and your opponent will soon be producing the same bullet , just saying....

I'm pretty sure the round would be blown to all hell especially since I would imagine DARPA clearly isn't stupid. Especially if it's an explosive round. And clearly these bullets would only be used in certain situations, its not like every 50 cal is going to replace their standard rounds for these.
edit on 11-7-2014 by hxc408 because: More to questions to answer

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LightningStrikesHere

Positive or negative ????

Let me see.

Is the invention designed to improve to modern day life of human beings? No?

Okay, is the invention designed to prevent the negative impact human beings have on the environment ? No?

Okay, is the invention designed to prolong human life ? No?

Okay, is the device designed to harm or maim another life? Yes?

Well there's your #ing answer.

No, any device created for the destruction of another living thing is a #ing negative jack ass.

Always a #ing negative. Until we learn to get a long as a species we are in existence a #ing failure. Until we learn to get along with our planet, and the species that reside on it we are a #ing failure.

This doesn't mean we all need to eat algae, just as long as we don't eat; kill, or farm something into extinction.

We are a #ing parasite, all of our creations up until this point only support such a trait.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: VoidHawk

Nothing a fifty cal can do is going to tickle.

That's a round you could use as a melee weapon. You could punch it through a skull if you had to, with only the use of main strength, let alone via any method of propelled guidance.

Agreed, although void has a point in some respect. Now this video from just last year,

Then this report, also from just last year,
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie vetoes a ban on 50 calibre weapons only months after trying to ban it.

thinkprogress.org...
OMG, DARPA was able to shackle him, even though the standard weapon, bad enough as it is, can be easily adapted to the 'new' technology, only to make Chris Christie's original fears a zillion times worse?

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hijinx

Positive or negative ????

Let me see.

Is the invention designed to improve to modern day life of human beings? No?

Okay, is the invention designed to prevent the negative impact human beings have on the environment ? No?

Okay, is the invention designed to prolong human life ? No?

Okay, is the device designed to harm or maim another life? Yes?

Well there's your #ing answer.

No, any device created for the destruction of another living thing is a #ing negative jack ass.

Always a #ing negative. Until we learn to get a long as a species we are in existence a #ing failure. Until we learn to get along with our planet, and the species that reside on it we are a #ing failure.

This doesn't mean we all need to eat algae, just as long as we don't eat; kill, or farm something into extinction.

We are a #ing parasite, all of our creations up until this point only support such a trait.

Firstly don't insult me its not needed .

Secondly , I fully agree with what you are saying .

I left my opinion open on this thread until now because I didn't want people addressing me .

I wanted to get a general idea of how people felt about this .

Thanks for being rude about it !

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
The round itself is explosive I take it?
This is one step closer to a" bullet with your name on it...."
DARPA would dearly love to develop such" hunting rounds" no doubt....

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Here you go somewhat of an explanation as to how it works.

Here's a nice little news report about it also...

Bullet technology at it's finest.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
one set closer to the Smartgun from the Aliens movie,
Vasquez: "Lets rock!!!!"

--
awesome thread, Military technology always ever expanding.

I don't see this as basic arms room issue, but more for like small elite units.

IMO, another technology that china will try to hack its way towards.
S&F

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

This looks neat but at the same time its scary..

It's only scary if it is aimed at you, but that scare won't last long if it is aimed at you.

Positive step forward towards the future or negative?

Positive and negative

Positive:

It helps for shooting the enemy when they are around walls , or vehicles , or wherever they hide.

It also helps hep time a sniper has to loiter in the area.

Negative:

Something fails before getting to it's target

The enemy finds one and copies it's design

I know there is more, but these two seemed to work here.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

IMO, another technology that china will try to hack its way towards.
S&F

And what will stop an enemy thats pulling it from their buddies and making one themselves.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Again, I would have to say that this is pure FECES! All these toys you're developing and nothing great to show for. Instead of investing too much into sophisticated toys that don't work, you should invest in your own people who are suffering from unemployment, homelessness, hunger, highest crime rate in decades, and the worst - FECES!!!

There are serial poo-flingers running amok in the USA manufacturing FEAR (FECES?), to win your hearts and minds.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: phfaty

Again, I would have to say that this is pure FECES! All these toys you're developing and nothing great to show for. Instead of investing too much into sophisticated toys that don't work, you should invest in your own people who are suffering from unemployment, homelessness, hunger, highest crime rate in decades, and the worst - FECES!!!

There are serial poo-flingers running amok in the USA manufacturing FEAR (FECES?), to win your hearts and minds.

Preach on brotha !

top topics

join