It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do ATS allow fraud advertisements ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Like these:

Small disk space
Fix Windows errors
Your PC is about to crash
Install updates for your computer, one important update is selected

Those are only about to trick users to click the advertisement with unknown outcome ...

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Torre

What 'AD' just curious so I don't get scammed.

Edit - Are they on the page or pop-ups? The Pop-up ads are your problem generated by your browser and the settings or programs you've installed.

edit on 11-7-2014 by minusinfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: minusinfinity

It is those blinking ads all over the page I referred to ...
With the text I mentioned in my post, or is those ads just directed to me?
I hope not.

I am talking about ads displayed on the page main page, not pop-ups.

edit on 2014/7/11 by Torre because: Spelling

edit on 2014/7/11 by Torre because: Claryfying

edit on 2014/7/11 by Torre because: Claryfying again

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

It's not only you.

I just close them but that doesn't answer your question which is a good freaking question.

Edit - I thought you meant the annoying pop-ups. I don't pay attention to the other ads. I think they use them to generate $$$$$.

edit on 11-7-2014 by minusinfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Ah yes, they are indeed ads directed at you.

ATS does not serve the same ads to everybody, the ad networks serve you ads based on your viewing habits and the websites that you visit.

I would suggest clearing all your jazz and stuff

ETA: I"M planning a vacation so I have ads from travel networks and liquor stores funny enough. Nothing like you describe tho.

~Tenth
edit on 7/11/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Well, if ATS wants to be able to provide this service to us, they need advertisers. That is how it works. There is a lot of money involved in running a site like this and of course the owners should be making something for all the time they took to create the site.

Just filter out the crap with your mind. Focus on the content of the threads and posts. You can do it.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Ok, so I just have to remove all cookies stored on my computer, or is it some other functionality that controls those ads ?

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Well, if ATS wants to be able to provide this service to us, they need advertisers. That is how it works. There is a lot of money involved in running a site like this and of course the owners should be making something for all the time they took to create the site.

Just filter out the crap with your mind. Focus on the content of the threads and posts. You can do it.

Yes, I can do it, but those blinking, flashing, unintelligent ads gets on my nerve ...
I guess I have to live with it ...

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

No! Not everyone GETS these at ATS! Imnot now...never have...its you guys and some settings on some or all of your devices.

"...those blinking, flashing, unintelligent ads gets on my nerve ... I guess I have to live with it ..."

Well, you dont have to live with it. Nor BLAME ATS for "doing it to us"...because IF they WERE..we would ALL be having these issues. And not all of us are. Think about that...not whether Im right or worng...but WHY ISNT everyone...all of us...each member...EVERYBODY...have these issues?

We are NOT> So you guys all keep linking and "li

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

No! Not everyone GETS these at ATS! Im not now...never have...its you guys and some settings on some or all of your devices.

"...those blinking, flashing, unintelligent ads gets on my nerve ... I guess I have to live with it ..."

Well, you dont have to live with it. Nor BLAME ATS for "doing it to us"...because IF they WERE...we would ALL be having these issues. And not all of us are. Think about that...not whether Im right or worng...but WHY ISNT everyone...all of us...each member...EVERYBODY...have these issues?

So if its not ALL of us...its not ATS fault. You all just KEEP linking and "liking" things on line...that multiplies and multiplies friends and friends of friends and companies to their friends and those companies...etc...and on forever.

No wonder you all have issues. And that shows when you say things like..."Why does ATS have to...?" ..and "I wish ATS would stop putting....". Please.

With all the linking to twitter and FB and other "feeds" and likes etc...you STILL dont get the fact that most of this comes your way because of something attributable to something or someone-someplace and all their friends and links etc...you are visiting or have linked to?
edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

You can clear your cookies and your cache, but what you truly want is your browser to send DO NOT TRACK requests to the websites you visit.

Whichever browser you use, most likely has a setting that enables/disables this. It won't solve the problem 100%, but it will lessen the likely hood of getting the same ads served to you over and over again.

Especially the junky ones.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Jazz lol
Made me right chortle that.
Anyhow yeah clear your cookies etc blah blah history just don't press the red button.
edit on 11-7-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

(post by SlapTheGinkels removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Ah yes, they are indeed ads directed at you.

ATS does not serve the same ads to everybody, the ad networks serve you ads based on your viewing habits and the websites that you visit.

I would suggest clearing all your jazz and stuff

ETA: I"M planning a vacation so I have ads from travel networks and liquor stores funny enough. Nothing like you describe tho.

~Tenth

Yes, much of it is keyworded, it is a bane and is Google being eternally nosy and for people just browsing their forums whatever, can be a torture, and the secondary is that 'relevant' stuff, (not necessarily) can end up in your e-mails so then there is a need to block those e-mails. I suspect also that there is data collection outside of all that can include medical history that also ends up in Emails. You can use Disc cleanup daily to clear all temporary files, but what that does is only to free computer space, the keywording has been done and dusted then the clutter starts all over again.
As yet I don't see much of a solution, especially since Google is busy doing deals with other servers who may at one time had spammy E-mail blockers in place.
There is much more going with Google, they are currently complying with online data blocking by request from individuals, (you might see this at the bottom of their search engine) even though that data had been there for some time. Just think, that name could be anybody, but the relevant data could be about anything.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Whichever browser you use, most likely has a setting that enables/disables this.

~Tenth

I just checked that and realized that I hadn't selected DO NOT TRACK in Firefox.
I have now, thanks for your advise.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

A lot of money to run this website? You can register the .com name and get a website on a server for about $80 a year. Are they paying their mods or are they volunteer? I doubt that it is costing very much to run this web site, seriously.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

You can register the .com name and get a website on a server for about $80 a year.

Um . . . I doubt this site is sitting on an 80 dollar a year shared server. My server runs just shy of 800 a year and I don't have anywhere near the traffic or content they have.

edit on 11-7-2014 by imwilliam because: removed stutter

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Are you KIDDING ME?

You don't think that a website which serves MILLIONS of viewers isn't expensive to run?

LOL

It costs thousands of dollars a month to run ATS. On a slow month. Servers, ad service, management ETC.

No staff member is payed, we do this for free on our own time.

But if you think it's inexpensive to run ATS, then you would be wrong.

Mind you ATS is NOT just a website, it's part of The Above Network.

As a side note, I run a Valve Gaming Internet Cafe VPN server at my home and pay more than 1000$ a month for hosting and bandwidth.

~Tenth

edit on 7/11/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
if it wasnt for ats adverts i wouldnt be a stay at home mom making $2000 a week with an amazing 6 pack.
thankyou ats

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I can believe that it could be that expensive, but seriously, do ad links and pop-ups pay for all that?

You must have a sugar daddy paying for the network.

I suppose it could be a write off or money washing scheme.

If ATS does make money from this website, they should write a how to book and sell it for even more money. Somehow I was hoping that this website wasn't about the money, I'm probably wrong though.
edit on 11-7-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join