It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

482-pound halibut caught in Southeast Alaska

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

What appears to be the largest halibut caught in the Pacific Ocean in at least a decade has been landed in the Alaska Panhandle port of Gustavus, but it will not be a world record. Seventy-seven-year-old Jack McGuire from Anaheim, Calif., lost the opportunity for the sport-fishing record book when his 482-pound halibut was shot and then harpooned before it was pulled aboard the charter boat Icy Rose.

www.adn.com...

So because he shot it, which is common when fishing halis, he cannot claim it as a record. Has to be gaffed or netted.
Biggest one I ever got was only 70 pounds, but great eating. Biggest one my friends have ever caught is around (at most) 230 pounds, this thing is a whopper!

Maybe I should have posted this in the crypto forum,,

edit on 11-7-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
That's a lot of evening meals ... I hope that's what he intends to do with it.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Hopefully. When they get over 150 they can have worms and parasites.
-Believe it or not the cheeks are the best part. Think (with this specimen) of a half pound scallop. Same taste, same texture, Hopefully he is able to eat more than just that

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: canucks555

My first full time job was as a seafood product manager and if people saw the amount of huge parasites that lived in seafood they may never eat fish again.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Holy cow.

Soy sauce..check
Wasabi.... check
Tempura.....check
Rice...check

200 guest....no this baby is mine!

Thanks for the find. I figure they are bottom feeders. But wow! Never have I seen one this big.
I caught an 80 pound Sturgeon once in San Francisco bay. But this takes the cake.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
When we were in Juneau, my stepfather asked about buying a big halibut hanging on the dock. It was about that size. It would have cost us close to a thousand bucks back in 75 to buy it and have it all cut up and frozen so we could haul it back with us. He bought about fifty lbs of Salmon and some other mixed fish filets instead. It was quite a bit of work to haul those back in coolers in the camper, it took lots of ice for the five day trip. We took the ferry from Juneau to Prince Rupert. That was neat, saw lots of porpoises and a few whales and seals. The fish was still froze solid when we got back.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: canucks555

Damn!!!!

I had spittle running down the corner of my mouth and then you guys had to ruin it with the parasite talk!!!!

But seriously, as an old fresh water fisherman myself, when filleting the fish, can't you feel the parasites as little bumps in the flesh?

That question was for the ex fish monger.......

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
That's a halibut of a fish!

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

-Believe it or not the cheeks are the best part. Think (with this specimen) of a half pound scallop. Same taste, same texture, Hopefully he is able to eat more than just that

Yeah, I get it. And unlike big freshwater cats, I'll bet there's no way to tank these bad boys and clean 'em out.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

When I lived in Seward, once a week we'd go down to the cannery and get a lunch sack full of halibut cheeks for fifty cents. That's a feast I really miss!
Living inland, people rave about the 'great' fish different restaurants have; they have no idea what fish really tastes like!

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Was fishing off Homer last year and caught one 25 pounder, and another in the low 30s - even at those weights the fish are work to reel in, from the bottom all the way up it's like pulling a flat rock. Anyway, had them shipped home and we ate well for about month after. This is a monster though. Wow!

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Jason88

20s to 30s are the best for eating. We call them chickens, mmmm now I'm getting hungry...

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Wow-- that's one big fish!

Rebel 5

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Oh man, he looks delicious.

Moderately priced, halibut is something we like quite a bit.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Now, now, you live inland, you just have to know how to get and fix the freshwater kind. Some of the freshwater fish can get pretty darn tasty if you know what you're doing.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

That is a really nice halibut. Not very good eating at that size, but still, you do not see those "barn doors" around anymore.

The biggest I have ever caught ran in the 60 pound range, but really good eating.

Anyways,
s&f!

Can't wait to get back to southeast ak and do some fishing. This stuff makes me really homesick.

Peace!
edit on 11-7-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

My first full time job was as a seafood product manager and if people saw the amount of huge parasites that lived in seafood they may never eat fish again.

I second this ! While in Alaska i worked for a prosessing
Company during the salmon season ....

You wont believe the amount of tape worms i seen come out of salmon ....

At least 1 out of 3 salmon had parasites of some sort....

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
seems like such a waste would they even
have the ability to store that on recreational fishing boat ?
how long before it starts to turn ?
he strikes me as the sort to stuff it and
stick it on the wall of one of his many houses
still that is one hell of a fish , i bet he was sore after.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I have no problem with Big Game Fish and mounting them when you please. But, dont you think it would be better to leave that one or the next Big One to spread his seed?? (unless this one is a Girl, ohhh wait, would that be considered Fem)lol

Either way, release the Big Ones you all catch because maybe at some point soon there will be no Big Ones to Catch.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=18136958]hoochymama23[/post

it is just seems a shame its not surprising fish at the bottom of the ocean anymore!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join