It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Moon Months and Quakes? Are we in for a swarm?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Ok, so I just posted a thread about the latest quake off the Fukushima coast and decided to look at any recent CME's just to check. What came up was numerous articles about the Super Moons coming this month with the first being tomorrow, 7/12/14.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Spaceweather reports:

THREE SUPERMOONS IN A ROW: Get ready for moonlight. The next three full moons are perigee "supermoons," as much as 14% closer and 30% brighter than other full moons of the year. The show begins with the full Moon of July 12th. Get the full story and a video from Science@NASA.

So the moon is 14% closer than normal for the next 3 full moons...

Now call me crazy but wouldn't that affect the pull on the Earth, essentially causing a higher possibility of quakes?

Wonder if this is related to the 6.8 that was so shallow in Japan today.

And if the moon being this close DOES cause more quakes, I am wondering if they will all be shallow since it is essentially a force outside pulling at the Earth.

Guess I can only really wait and see if the frequency upticks in the next 3 full moon cycles.

Article on Supermoons

The scientific term for the phenomenon is "perigee moon." Full Moons vary in size because of the oval shape of the Moon's orbit. The Moon follows an elliptical path around Earth with one side ("perigee") about 50,000 km closer than the other ("apogee"). Full Moons that occur on the perigee side of the Moon's orbit seem extra big and bright.
This coincidence happens three times in 2014. On July 12th and Sept 9th the Moon becomes full on the same day as perigee. On August 10th it becomes full during the same hour as perigee—arguably making it an extra-super Moon."

edit on 7/11/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

WOW this is good to know---I've had to ask my husband the last couple nights if he thought the moon looks brighter. Fascinating idea about the correlation---been reading a lot about solar weather and earthquakes too.

link   
Now, call me crazy, but the Tohoku 9.0 quake occurred just days before the Supermoon in 2011..... That is a bit unsettling to me. Could these Supermoons actually cause these quakes? Any quake experts out there have any knowledge on this subject at all? I mean I know the moon affects the tides, so I can only imagine it can cause EQ's if close enough.

link   
The moon impacts our tides so yes. The moons influence would probably just accentuate anything that is already underway. I'm not sure it causes earthquakes directly but it would affect anything liquid so therefore indirectly. It affects people so thanks for the heads up on this. It might explain why so many cops have been out. Seeing them like crazy.
edit on 11-7-2014 by Dianec because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dianec
The moon impacts our tides so yes. The moons influence would probably just accentuate anything that is already underway. I'm not sure it causes earthquakes directly but it would affect anything liquid so therefore indirectly. It affects people so thanks for the heads up on this. It might explain why so many cops have been out. Seeing them like crazy.

Well...we will have one each month starting tomorrow for the next 3 months apparently. Will be curious to see if there are any more quakes than usual on/near these dates, or any larger than usual.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The Moon being at perigee is not unusual. In fact, it has happened once every 28-29 days since... forever.

What makes this unusual (or, rather, "not common") is that the Moon's orbital perigee happens to coincide with it's full phase, which makes it appear bigger and brighter than "normal". But it isn't any closer than it normally would be at that point in it's orbit.

Although, with us fracturing the bejeezus out of the crust so we can power all of our useless gadgets, we may start seeing increased seismic activity when the Moon gets close.

But I'm no planetary geologist.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

So you said the moon doesn't get closer but then it does. It makes sense that it wouldn't actually get closer but wouldn't it appearing closer also mean it could pull differently on liquid?

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Three months in a row sounds prophetic for some reason so I'll need to look that up. I will for sure be outside looking at this beauty.

I appreciate your thread about Fukushima. I am at the point of thinking maybe we need to sacrifice the pacific to save the planet but that is just a nutty way to think. It's just the thought of that thing taking out life on earth that is hard to wrap my head around. We are completely living on the edge, and are probably the closest to an extinction level event as we have ever been. If there truly was a super moon before the 2011 quake it's something to keep an eye on (although there isn't a darn thing we can do about it if it happens).

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
So I will just go ahead and put a prediction in here of another really large quake hitting Mexico in the next week.

Maybe Guerrero or just off the coast.....7+ I am thinking.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dianec

So you said the moon doesn't get closer but then it does. It makes sense that it wouldn't actually get closer but wouldn't it appearing closer also mean it could pull differently on liquid?

Uhm. No.

The Moon follows an elliptical orbit, so sometimes it's closer and sometimes it's further away. This is normal.

The Moon's appearance has nothing to do with it's gravitational pull on water (or anything, for that matter).

But again, I don't have a bunch of letters after my name, so I could be all wet.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Thank you for clarifying. A bit after posting I realized what you meant so should have edited.

Its full at the same time it is closest to earth. Full moons affect anything with water more than a half moon (as an example), so to have it be closest to earth when full for sure would have an impact.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
People who study quakes are always pointing out research that 'proves' there is no correlation between solar activity and quakes.

People who study statistics say there is no correlation between solar activity and health problems, increases in violent crimes, strange animal behavior, mental health issues, etc....
But the people who work at the layman's level will tell you different.
Dispatchers know they are more than likely going to be swamped with 911 calls starting up to three days before a full moon, climaxing on the full moon, and then tapering off for one-three days.

Emergency room personal know they are in for an extra busy time....
Nursing homes know that the most fragile are likely to journey on.....

Heart attacks, domestic abuse, lost pets, testy people.....I've been observing the effect since it was first brought to my attention as a young teenager.
Our bodies are 95% water, so I have a hard time NOT believing that solar activity has an affect on its' function.

Scientists are too close-minded for there own good sometimes.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

amazing insight, relevant to every forum here, I think. Thanks for articulating that.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: kismetpair927

WOW this is good to know---I've had to ask my husband the last couple nights if he thought the moon looks brighter. Fascinating idea about the correlation---been reading a lot about solar weather and earthquakes too.

I also thought the moon the last few nights looked bigger and brighter.

Rebel 5

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Dianec

I actually don't believe the reflection of the sun on the moon makes any difference in its gravitational pull. The moon is fully there whether we see it or not...ex: new moon is completely in shadow. The gravity of the moons orbit effects the tides. The light effect is more of a solar effect that can be quite effective in agriculture planting but can cause embalance with chemicals in brains due to influx of light during needed rem down times.

Therefore, there may not be any significance in gravitional pulls due to it being a full moon, but it will have the same pull as any other time it has been closer to earth, even when it was not visible due to the earths shadow.

I think the chance of it effecting humans will be grater than its effect on earthquakes, therefore.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
People who study quakes are always pointing out research that 'proves' there is no correlation between solar activity and quakes.

People who study statistics say there is no correlation between solar activity and health problems, increases in violent crimes, strange animal behavior, mental health issues, etc....
But the people who work at the layman's level will tell you different.
Dispatchers know they are more than likely going to be swamped with 911 calls starting up to three days before a full moon, climaxing on the full moon, and then tapering off for one-three days.

Emergency room personal know they are in for an extra busy time....
Nursing homes know that the most fragile are likely to journey on.....

Heart attacks, domestic abuse, lost pets, testy people.....I've been observing the effect since it was first brought to my attention as a young teenager.
Our bodies are 95% water, so I have a hard time NOT believing that solar activity has an affect on its' function.

Scientists are too close-minded for there own good sometimes.

May be one of the best posts I have ever seen on ATS.....

My only question would be is this behavior learned because of this statement or is it innate and truly influenced by the moon.

Is/are there any cases documented of more chaos happening during full moons in ancient history to suggest this is not just learned, but genetically ingrained?
edit on 7/11/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Didn't they just find a large ocean in the middle of the earth?

From Time magazine: time.com...
"a team of geologists led by Steven Jacobsen from Northwestern University have found a vast body of water, three times the size of any ocean, located near earth’s core. "

I would guess this would move around too during the full moon? So we have a liquid foundation under the plates moving around during the full moon?

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I agree that (logically) it does not make sense that this moon would have an impact on tides anymore than the other full moons based in illumination. That would impact our behavior (not only affecting us as any full moon but altering circadian rhythms). My thinking was more in line with it being fully aligned with the sun while also being closest to earth.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
There is no correlation between the orbital distance of the Moon and the incidence of earthquakes.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Daughter2

Howdy,
I'm a soon to be senior in a geology program. There has long been a hypothesized body of fluid (magma) underneath the crust. This is evident by the seismic study of the Earth. (*edit for clarity*There exists a boundary between the crust and the mantle marked by what appears to be a compositional change commonly called the Moho, less commonly the Mohorovičić discontinuity, with obvious reasoning to shorten to Moho...) See, P-waves can travel through liquid and solid media, but S-waves can only propagate through solids. If there were was bodies of liquid beneath the Earth, the seismology would reflect this. It doesn't. That article is indeed correct that there is a vast supply of "water" in the mantle. This water is "Molecular Water," in that it is actually "-OH" molecules incorporated into the structure of the minerals present, in this case ringwoodite and it's chemical variants (each with its own name). The water isn't an ocean, if any actual water exists, the evidence is that it is likely small traces along grain boundaries. Indeed, the article refers to this molecular hydroxide in ringwoodite.

Now, the idea of the lunar influence on the planet is something, for strange reasons, I've recently discussed elsewhere. I'm not a physicist, or even a real scientist yet, so again take this with a grain of salt... But, it seems to me that one could quite easily model the behavior of Earth in response to the moon by way of Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation. (Of important note is that the formula is most dependent upon distance between the two masses, not the masses themselves...)
en.wikipedia.org...
Now, as for the "lunar effect" theory, I've been interested in it since learning of it, but apparently there have been studies that do no support an effect other than sleep quality, possibly due to light. Wikipedia cites some studies, but in all honesty, I haven't check them specifically out...
en.wikipedia.org...
Regards,
Hydeman
edit on 12-7-2014 by hydeman11 because: edit for clarity

top topics

<<   2 >>

join