It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where the hell did ISIS come from?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Anyone who hires an al Queda merc or is or was one (you can tell by now I'm fairly convinced a lot of them are just multinational mercenaries?) could be considered a splinter group.

Have the authorities had any luck tracing their funding?

I agree with your assertions about these types of terrorists being mercenaries. A majority of Syrian rebels came from other threatres of war. There were a bunch of extremists who travelled from their home countries to fight in Libya, before heading off to Syria, and now, Iraq.

I heard that the US government considers ISIS to be worth somewhere around $2 billion. Most of the money comes from private donors and black market dealings. ISIS also recently seized close to $500 million last month when they took Mosul....others believe they are directly sponsored by Saudi Arabia and Qatar.
edit on 11-7-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
U.S. Period.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Private donors. Ugh. That's a LOT of money. But it's probably going to be a hundredfold ROI for someone, eh?

Bin Laden sorta kinda even started as a mercenary...er CIA asset.

Saudi Arabia again. Double ugh. And to think Saudi probably has nukes too. The elephant in the room.

An "investment" in the future brought to us by our favorite neocons?

edit on 7/11/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Yeah. I'm pretty sure some of these people have been getting training like navy seals and green berets get. Probably by some of our very own ex special forces. It's impossible to believe that people we have supposedly been bombing into the stone ages developed the training and logistical support to accomplish what they have on their own. Making moves like that requires the help of no less than a regional power, if not a super power.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity
U.S. Period.

Nah, i don't think so. I think ISIS is the real deal.

Their current activities are so contrary to the allied goals in the Middle-East, that i can't see any reason for a direct Western backing of ISIS. If there is a state sponsor, i would bet that it is Saudi Arabia...

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

IS...ISI...ISIS...and a lot of people are saying ISIL.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: rustyclutch

Yeah. I'm pretty sure some of these people have been getting training like navy seals and green berets get. Probably by some of our very own ex special forces. It's impossible to believe that people we have supposedly been bombing into the stone ages developed the training and logistical support to accomplish what they have on their own. Making moves like that requires the help of no less than a regional power, if not a super power.

Definitely. The US and UK were in Libya, using their special forces to train the rebels...who then went on to Syria, where the US is also training the rebels (albeit, in Jordan). With many defectors, ISIS likely has numerous western trained militants among its ranks. It wouldn't surprise me if those who were militarily trained, are now capable of passing their knowledge onto ISIS' new recruits. Scary stuff to think about...
edit on 11-7-2014 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

IS...ISI...ISIS...and a lot of people are saying ISIL.

Yeah, so many name changes, haha.

I believe ISIL was just the alternative translation for ISIS.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Have the authorities had any luck tracing their funding?

Good question, as the above member has said some estimates state that they could have up to $2 billion in funds.

How they come by this is obviously a huge question.

Good old fashioned looting counts for quite a bit such as walking into the banks of Iraq's second largest city and looting the vaults.

Then you have charities, lots of Charities throughout the world giving to Syrian rebel groups and chunks of that cash ends up going to groups like Al-Nusra and ISIS. its possible that money given by western states to the Syrian National Council has found its way into ISIS in other words its possible the west has been inadvertently funding them.

Next big one will come from rich private backers who sympathise with the ideology and aims of ISIS

There is also some criminal elements such as smuggling and they control some oil fields.

But all this cash is very difficult to trace thanks to the Hawala system of banking that these groups take advantage of.

basically they have turned themselves into the worlds best financed terrorist origination in the world and their operating costs are probably actually quite low.
edit on 11-7-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

You could be right but the U.S. loves unrest. I think a lot of countries have their fingers in the pie.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
"How did 'Islamic State' proclaim caliphate?"
www.al-monitor.com...

ISIS, which now calls itself the Islamic State, was established in 2006 following an agreement by jihadist factions for an alliance dubbed back then as Hilf al-Mutayyibin after the death of its first leader, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who founded the Tawhid and Jihad group in 2004. The latter had stepped up his operations in Iraq until his death in 2006, which prompted Abu Omar al-Baghdadi to pledge allegiance to him.

It seems that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi and Omar al-Baghdadi were "friends", lol. At the very least.. al-Baghdadi swore allegiance to him.

This is all before the United States imprisoned him for several years at Camp Bucca in Iraq.

Baghdadi had been arrested in February 2004 along with several others in the western Sunni-dominated city of Fallujah and was held at the military’s Camp Bucca in southern Iraq until he was released in December of that year, the Pentagon said.

www.miamiherald.com...
edit on 7/11/2014 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

basically they have turned themselves into the worlds best financed terrorist origination in the world and their operating costs are probably actually quite low.

Bullets are cheap and abundant in that area of the world I would imagine. You could basically say they acquired everything as they went along. Someone was feeding these people some amazing intel. Someone with satellites and drones I would imagine.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I have a friend who is Kurdish, one of the ethnic groups caught up in all of this. There community has been politically dispossessed for some time caught between Iran, Syria and Iraq, then the whole Sunni, Shea and other communities having their issues.

The main different ethnic communities having their own state with an overriding national body is one possibility for the region.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
I have a friend who is Kurdish, one of the ethnic groups caught up in all of this. There community has been politically dispossessed for some time caught between Iran, Syria and Iraq, then the whole Sunni, Shea and other communities having their issues.

The main different ethnic communities having their own state with an overriding national body is one possibility for the region.

That is really the broader issue. These people that we describe as barbarians are really people who were dispossed of their land and autonomy. Europeans drew up most of their borders and that is where most of the violence stems from. A lot of these groups of people live in areas where the minority party somehow rules. Like syria, or iraq under sadaam. Situations like that are going to lead to some problems. Only a small percentage of these people are radical extremists, and most of those extremists have good reason to be upset about the way they are living.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

And why can't I find any references to it prior to June 2014?

Pointers please.

Thank you.

To put it simply then, you haven't actually been paying any attention to what has been happening in the Middle East for years and if you genuinely cannot find anything about ISIS prior to June 2014, you're not looking properly, if at all.

Sorry if this seems snarky, but this isn't the first thread about "where did ISIS come from, I haven't heard of them before this month so that must mean it is a Western plot" bollocks thread.

ISIS (ISIL) have been fighting in Syria under that name for at least 2 years (they have released 2 annual reports, one for 2012 and one for 2013). Prior to that, they were AQ in Iraq, but after their defeat went dark for a while until Syria happened. They were supposed to merge with Al Nusra in Syria, but that fell through and the AQ leadership have since denounced them as too extreme even for them.

As for the funding - it isn't the West giving them cash, it is rich Saudi's and Qatari's.

All of the above is easily available on the webs, if you care to look properly.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Guess you don't follow what's doin in Syria? The Islamic State of Iraq and Levant along with Al Nusra are all the rage there. They were the two big hitters in Syria fighting Assad and all of his supporters, which means civilians.

ISIS was once apart of Al Qaeda but were disowned for being too extreme. Can you believe that? Too extreme for Al Qaeda!

But don't be fooled, ISIS and Al Qaeda will never break up.

edit on 11-7-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

And why can't I find any references to it prior to June 2014?

Pointers please.

Thank you.

It's probably because they changed their name from what they were originally known as: ISIL to ISIS.

en.wikipedia.org...

I know the tin-foil crowd are convinced this is some new plot you know, like a polar vortex even though that has been around for decades.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

See earlier posts. The acronym doesn't really work for search engines.

Has nothing to do with paying attention. It's a new acronym and new scare word.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Levant.

And no, I had to take a forced break during Syria, which might explain away at least a few months.

You don't find the recent emphasis on ISIS in the media and from the neoconian angle a bit odd?

a reply to: opethPA
Yeah...I have a better handle on it now...thanks to (most of) you all.

No worries...I'll be caught up in no time. This is why I love this place.
edit on 7/11/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
They're sub-contractors. They work for the House of Saud. Follow the money. IT's REALLY easy !

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join