It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where the hell did ISIS come from?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
And why can't I find any references to it prior to June 2014?

Pointers please.

Thank you.
edit on 7/11/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Pointers please.

Thank yuo.

They splintered from Al-Qaeda. Just a more radical group with more radical ideas.

Been around since roughly 2004...

Source
edit on 7/11/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Pointers please.

Thank yuo.

A classic case of someone took their eye of the ball.

2nd

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

So this splintering was announced in June 2014?

Al Quada are mercenaries, so what, they decided to self-fund? Organize themselves differently and rebrand?

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Me? Yeah I musta blinked.

This smells fishy. That's all.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
double post...my ATS is falling apart.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Pointers please.

Thank you.

Because they only formed in June after getting financial aid from the west

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
dp... seems mine is falling apart too
edit on 11-7-2014 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
just check Islamic State of Iraq and Al Qaida in Iraq - it's their origins.

recently (last year or so) they started rebranding and working on their PR, making T-shirts, slogans, growing beards and so on...

finally, with all due help from the West they launched their intelligence operations.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: sosobad

So still mercenaries

I just can't get over how some people are gobbling this up.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

a reply to: sosobad

So still mercenaries

I just can't get over how some people are gobbling this up.

No not mercenaries, terrorists that were funded in Syria to topple Assad backed by western money.

edit on 11-7-2014 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Link to source for history of ISIS.

Source

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
here it is more specifically.

In April 2013, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi released an audio statement in which he announced that Al-Nusra Front (Jabhat al-Nusra) had been established, financed and supported by the Islamic State of Iraq. Al-Baghdadi declared that the two groups were merging under the name "Islamic State of Iraq and Al-Sham."

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

They have been around for quite a while,

I make a point of following a number of terrorist groups around the world (Its like a hobby, quite sad really)

like others have said they are basically a splinter group of Al-Qa'ida In Iraq so you can track their heritage through that group which is very well known. They are NOT however Al-Qa'ida or a "branch" of Al-Qa'ida they have grown into something new that is not controlled by Al-Qa'ida or any affiliated groups.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Thank you. I really did look but didn't know that name.

Earliest entry Apr 2007? But it's kind of generic and sort of ISI at that time?

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
They formed roughly 10 years ago, in response to the coalition invasion of Iraq. The reason why you haven't heard much about 'ISIS', it because they have had numerous changes during their short history - only implementing that name last year. Their new name is now 'IS', or Islamic State.

I don't think they were ever an official representative of Al Qaeda, but they were extremely close with them. It was only this year, that Al Qaeda severed all ties to ISIS in response to growing anger in their representation, and ideologies, regarding Islam and jihad.

link   
They needed a new boogie man. These people aren't even muslims. They kill Sunni holy men, desecrate graves of their own prophets, etc. All religious Holy Books are barbaric. Not just Islam. The Old Testament was a bloodbath. The New testament was slightly less horrific, but ends in the destruction of mankind precipitated by christ and his armies who will destroy the non believers. Sounds kind of like Islam. There are crazies of EVERY ideology. All it takes is a few deluded individuals to take some circumstance as a sign from god. Or people that are just militant enough about what they believe to take extreme measures in support of their cause. ISIS is being run by someone with a lot of logistics and pull. The iraqi army should have been able to stomp them into the ground. Instead they let them take tanks, helicopters, etc all without firing any shots. This ISIS is nothing more Middle Eastern Mercenaries. Not terrorists. Think Blackwater. Everytime the world needs a new boogieman one appears.
edit on 11-7-2014 by rustyclutch because: sp

link   

Thank you. I really did look but didn't know that name.

Earliest entry Apr 2007? But it's kind of generic and sort of ISI at that time?

The problem is that these groups change their name all the time, ISIS recently changed its name to simply the "Islamic State".

makes it quite confusing at times.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yeah a few weeks ago I checked the list of know terrorist organizations and they weren't on it and now I can't find the list again. It's just a bit frustrating not even knowing what to look for. But I think a lot of this really is fishy.

Anyone who hires an al Queda merc or is or was one (you can tell by now I'm fairly convinced a lot of them are just multinational mercenaries?) could be considered a splinter group.

Have the authorities had any luck tracing their funding?

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Very confusing. Yet people need to know I think. And as you've said, it's not easy to find things unless you're on top of it all the time.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: rustyclutch
Yep. New boogeyman was my gut reaction. But it's probably going to work. Sigh....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join