It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Journalists Hospitalized After Eating the 'XXX Hot Chilli Burger'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: theantediluvian

After taking one bite he decided the burger was too spicy to eat anymore and was physically ok after drinking lots of milk.
Mr Barratt took a bite and minutes later suffered severe stomach pains which increased. He lost the feeling in his hands, his legs were shaking and his eyes rolled back in his head.
And within two hours Mr Hendy was suffering similar problems, following his colleague to hospital.
Mr Barratt said: “It was hard to walk. I needed to drink milk to neutralise the burning, which was hard because I was hyperventilating so much my hands had seized up.
Mr Hendy said: “I was in so much pain I was telling people I felt like I was dying.

Sissies.

After watching Man versus Food with my Indian buddy we and our wives went to Brick Lane in Manhattan, home of the world's hottest curry, Phaal, which is prepared with a gas mask.

If you finish it you get a free beer and a certificate.

I ate mine, and when my friend got half way through and bombed out, I ate his. I demanded, and got, two free beers.

He is forever known by his wife as a phaal-ure.

I saw that episode!

I wouldn't do it, but it sure looked delicious!

Your lucky to live in an area where you have such a selection of cultural food!

I'm jealous!

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
So i guess the ghost chili eating contest is a no go for him huh?

No, I grow them and he refuses to eat them. The hottest he goes now is my habaneros and scotch bonnets.

You grow scotch bonnets? You don't happen to make your own Jamaican jerk sauce do you? Definitely one of my favorites!

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
So i guess the ghost chili eating contest is a no go for him huh?

No, I grow them and he refuses to eat them. The hottest he goes now is my habaneros and scotch bonnets.

You grow scotch bonnets? You don't happen to make your own Jamaican jerk sauce do you? Definitely one of my favorites!

I have a recipe for Jamaican Oxtails that uses scotch bonnets! It is delicious!

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

A cheese and bacon burger with a sliced up scotch bonnet and BBQ sauce is one hella tasty burger!!!! +1
Hot enough to get a burn without going too far on a lunch break.

edit on b3333320 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Yeah, we're only 15 minutes from NYC so that was an easy call after watching that episode.

There's always an open invite on Augie's porch for adult beverages and good chow.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

As a former chef I try to make everything myself.

I have prepared it but my wife's good friend is from Jamaica and her mom makes insanely good jerk. So, at that point, why bother.

Her oxtail and roti is killer too.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Kind of funny. I wouldn't even take a bite of something labeled as XXX hot. I suppose the "hot" kind of overloaded the sensors in the cells and he lost feeling in his hands. Icy hot does the same thing, that is why they put it on when the muscles are sore, it burns first and shuts down the pain sensors from overload.

Eating something extremely hot can raise the heart rate, expand the blood vessels, and doing so make you lightheaded and even get the spins. Nitrogen compounds also increase insulin production. High insulin can make you constipated.

Milk neutralizes hot. I guess the albumin or the calcium can tie to the nitrogen...not really sure though, no article addresses the exact reaction. I asked my son in law what neutralizes hot peppers and he told me milk so I looked it up. He is Guatemalan so he was raised with hot food.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Dude, Phaals are eaten for fun over here in the UK and i've polished off many of them too - there are probably a thousand curry houses here that sell them. I doubt they are the merest fraction of that Devil Burger.

ETA: the reason for the gas-mask would be that when you chuck chilli, ginger and garlic (etc etc) in to really hot oil you do get clouds of gas. i filled a gf's kitchen and adjoining lounge with noxious white gas (from cooking, arf) that way when over-enthusiastically making curry one time. I've never been tear gassed, but it was probably pretty much the same.

edit on 11-7-2014 by skalla because: (no reason given)

2nd ETA: i just read that you are a former chef, so i guess the above explanation was unnecessary .. the clouds of tear gas i made were part scotch-bonnet too. i managed to eat the beast though.
edit on 11-7-2014 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The hottest I've tried is the Trinidad Scorpion. It was hotter any ghost pepper I've had. I have no desire for anything hotter. It's hard believe he sells this to the public.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Well it's raised the profile of his business world wide! But you'd have to be completely nuts to try eat that thing imo.... i proper love spicy food, but symptoms of heart attacks or panic attacks dont really appeal to me, and i cant imagine how freaking mental it would be when you finish digesting it and the toilet calls. Yowzers.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
Dude, Phaals are eaten for fun over here in the UK and i've polished off many of them too - there are probably a thousand curry houses here that sell them. I doubt they are the merest fraction of that Devil Burger.

The one I had at Brick Lane tasted like the sauce was adulterated with capsaicin extract which I'm fairly sure is not the traditional way to prepare it. Frankly, I think they prepare more for a stunt than because it tastes good.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I agree, it's not about taste at all; more about being a bit drunk and making a big mouthed chum shut up and pay for your scran.

Obvs curries vary widely from place to place, but i've had Jalfrezi's that were hotter than any Phaal, and way tastier too. They may have burned but i simply could not stop cramming them down as i dripped sweat down my bald head and om-nommed myself into oblivion.

Thats enough, seriously, i'm gonna have to go do some cooking now as i'm salivating.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
Thats enough, seriously, i'm gonna have to go do some cooking now as i'm salivating.

Same here. We're hooking up with my friends cousin later. He can make a mean vindaloo.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
A little of subject but there's a plant in Morocco that produces a chemical similar to capsaicin called Resiniferatoxin with an est. SHU of 16,000,000,000. They think it'd take about 40g to kill you.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Josephus
A little of subject but there's a plant in Morocco that produces a chemical similar to capsaicin called Resiniferatoxin with an est. SHU of 16,000,000,000. They think it'd take about 40g to kill you.

Holy cow! Drop one of those off in a jar of pickles. How much burn can one feel before the nervous system shuts down? I want one. en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 12-7-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
What a waste of good food.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join