It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14,000 Draft Notices Sent to Men Born in 1800s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I will bet they will blame this on Bush.

No, the United States isn't trying to build a military force of centenarians.
It just seems that way after the Selective Service System mistakenly sent notices to more than 14,000 Pennsylvania men born between 1893 and 1897, ordering them to register for the nation's military draft and warning that failure to do so is "punishable by a fine and imprisonment."

You just can't make this stuff up...LOL

www.breitbart.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Must be in preparation for the resurrection of the dead.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Well, I guess since ACORN can register them to vote, I guess the Selective Service System can get em to sign up for the draft....

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: nighthawk1954
I will bet they will blame this on Bush.

This error happened in Pennsylvania. It has nothing to do with the federal government.

The glitch, it turns out, originated with the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation during a transfer of nearly 400,000 records to the Selective Service. A clerk working with the state’s database failed to select the century, producing records for males born between 1993 and 1997 — and for those born a century earlier, PennDOT spokeswoman Jan McKnight said Thursday.

Source

OMG! A human being made a mistake! Call the authorities!

edit on 7/11/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

If I remember it right... Selective Service registration has no upper age limit.
It just says once you turn 18 you have to register ... if you follow the letter of the law then sure these old dudes should have sign up too...

not that any branch would take them but they would still have to be in the system

edit on 11-7-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
These obviously were a mistake but lets keep in mind that it is not a draft notice. The US does not have a draft right now. These were notices to register in case a draft is initiated. All three of my son's got letters telling them they had to register. Every male has to register when they reach 18 . This however is not a draft. None of my son's entered the service. They are not fugitives of the law. The draft was discontinued shortly after the end of the Vietnam conflict. A draft notice says you must report for duty on a certain date or go to jail.

eeply to: nighthawk1954

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
So how many of those gentleman do you think might still be alive . How many people between the ages of 117 and 121 do you know?

a reply to: HardCorps

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
But the authorities are humans too. Ut oh ...

reply to: Benevolent Heretic

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Back in the day. . . .

I never signed up for selective service. I went straight in right after I graduated high school. I thought, "What's the point?"

Funny enough, I did get a letter a couple of years later.

Sent to SRA _______ at my APO address, telling me that if I didn't sign up, I could face penalties, fines. . .yadda yadda.

My first shirt and I thought it hilarious!

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Back in the day. . . .

I never signed up for selective service. I went straight in right after I graduated high school. I thought, "What's the point?"

Funny enough, I did get a letter a couple of years later.

Sent to SRA _______ at my APO address, telling me that if I didn't sign up, I could face penalties, fines. . .yadda yadda.

My first shirt and I thought it hilarious!

Beez, I got the same thing on my first tour in Vietnam. I sent them an invitation to deliver any further correspondence to me in person. You know, no one came or reply...lol! The NCO's in my platoon got a lot of laughs that the Lieutenant was getting drafted. They were always telling everyone that I was only 12 years old.

This story doesn't surprise me at all.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

If I remember it right... Selective Service registration has no upper age limit.
It just says once you turn 18 you have to register ... if you follow the letter of the law then sure these old dudes should have sign up too...

not that any branch would take them but they would still have to be in the system

Isn't it a requirement for Student loans and grants, Social Security payments, Medicaid, etc?

That was the only reason I signed up. Draft card is probably decomposed by now.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I registered at 18 then when I got out after 8 years in the Marine Corps I received another letter telling me that I needed to register again.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Just like beezzer I too was in the Corps when I got my letter that I had to register.

Mine was a bit of a different case though.
See I was seventeen and a high school senior with I signed up for the Marine Reserves.
fact is I did my boot the summer before I started my last year of high school and only signed up so they'd help pay for college.

Yes your right in that not registering for selective service will exclude you from student loans and other government programs. I knew one kid who suffered from cerebral palsy and could hardly walk... they still made him register.

While that may be a requirement for grown men, there still is an age limit. once you pass 38 the military will not take a person without prior service... And I don't think being a doughboy during WWI counts

new topics

top topics

join