It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shark spotted in Canadian Great Lakes (shark week promo)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: sh1fty
Bullsharks are the most dangerous sharks. They thrive in fresh water & produce the most testosterone of any animal on this planet making them super aggressive. They also enjoy swimming in shallow water.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
ever watch river monsters, Jeremy Wade catches them in rivers and lakes all over the world. i like this show.

here is a search page.

river monsters sharks in fresh water

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This cannot be true I just bought this sticker for my truck, at least I haven't applied it yet. Maybe get my money back...lol

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Here's a Video of some Land locked Bull Sharks in Australia. A number of years ago the Nearby river burst it's banks and the Shark/Sharks got stranded in the Lake on the Golf Course. They are breeding and getting on just fine.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
ever watch river monsters, Jeremy Wade catches them in rivers and lakes all over the world. i like this show.

I remember an episode where he investigates two guys swimming across a lake at night 90 miles inland from Miami. Only one of the guys made it to the other side. Presumed drowned but his dad searched the lake by boat and found his son. Killed by a bull shark.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The YouTube commentators refuse to believe this could be real. Typical sheep of course. If i knew more about sharks I'd set them all straight

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I'd say there are many bull sharks in places that you would least expect them. I encountered one when I was fishing in NJ years ago. That's when I became aware of bull sharks being able to live in rivers and lakes. It was an eerie feeling seeing that thing swim by. Hillbillies do not like sharks or alligators. lol

I live near one of the biggest man-made lakes in the eastern US. Although sharks or alligators cannot get here naturally, I'm surprised that some nut hasn't brought alligators or sharks here and turned them loose. I consider it a terrorist act, or even attempted murder, should they do so. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I keep a watchful eye when at the lake. I saw Jaws at an impressionable age....

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Man, I would go get myself a chunk of meat, a rope, make a chain leader, and a really big hook and start shark fishing if I was in that area. That would be one fun trip.

yeah, bull sharks can and do invade rivers and lakes, and they can go as far inland as the depth of water will allow.
Which wouldn't have to be that deep. About the only thing that would stop them is waterfalls, and maybe heavy rapids.

Would love to catch one!
edit on 11-7-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: earthblaze

i can't remember the season or episode number, but on the trivia questions they ask before commercial breaks on his show. they asked how far the longest report of a bull shark in fresh water was.

the answer was 2200 mile up the amazon in peru .

i did a search and found this.

It has been joked that the only guaranteed way to avoid shark attack is a life-sentence at Leavenworth. No dangerous shark (of the piscine variety, at least) has thus far been reported from Kansas. But, astonishing as it may seem, the large, toothy, and definitely dangerous Bull Shark (Carcharhinus leucas) has been reported as much as 2,360 miles (3,800 kilometres) up the Mississippi River — near the community of Alton, Illinois. Even more remarkable, the Bull Shark has been recorded 2,610 miles (4,200 kilometres) up the Amazon River — actually in the foothills of the Peruvian Andes, which must surely rank as one of the most unexpected places to find a shark.

Fresh Waters: Unexpected Haunts Bull Shark

if you read the whole thing and scroll down it has a map that show location of confirmed reports.
edit on 11-7-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

i remember when jaws first came out, i was up late watching johnny carson and he had rules for swimming in shark infested waters.

rule one was to use the buddy system when swimming, that way when the shark attacks, you can give him your buddy

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Fresh water lake. Full of sharks.

Lake Nicaragua

From Wikipedia.

Lake Nicaragua, despite being a freshwater lake, has sawfish, tarpon, and sharks.[2] Initially, scientists thought the sharks in the lake belonged to an endemic species, the Lake Nicaragua Shark (Carcharhinus nicaraguensis). In 1961, following comparisons of specimens, the Lake Nicaragua Shark was synonymized with the widespread Bull shark (C. leucas),[4] a species also known for entering freshwater elsewhere around the world.[5] It had been presumed that the sharks were trapped within the lake, but this was found to be incorrect in the late 1960s, when it was discovered that they were able to jump along the rapids of the San Juan River (which connects Lake Nicaragua and the Caribbean Sea), almost like salmon.[6] As evidence of these movements, bull sharks tagged inside the lake have later been caught in the open ocean (and vice versa), with some taking as little as 7–11 days to complete the journey.[4] Numerous other species of fish live in the lake, including at least 16 species of endemic cichlids.[7] A non-native cichlid, a tilapia, is used widely in aquaculture within the lake. Owing to the large amount of waste they produce, and the risk of introducing diseases to which the native fish species have no resistance, they are potentially a serious threat to the lake's ecosystem.[8]
edit on 11-7-2014 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I'm going to go out on a limb and buck the trend. The face looked wrong to me. I'm going to say small Greenland Shark. They have been known to swim upriver into the St. Lawrence, and they don't know a whole lot about them. It's possible they can go like bull sharks.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
The dorsal fin is wrong and so is the coloration.
compare the two vids. it's a bull shark

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

I did, and it just didn't look quite right for a bull shark. Definitely a shark.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I wonder if Bull Sharks have evolved over the years to prefer to give Birth in fresh water with little or no predators.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Over the years there have been bull sharks found in Traverse Bay Michigan....usually the stories stay local due to tourism.
If I can find them, I'll post them. TOTALLY put me off swimming in the great lakes.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
It happens:

weirdnj.com...

That was the inspiration for Jaws. 2 of those attacks were over 10 miles up the creek, so to speak.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
isn't their a cryptid of some sort in Lake Ontario? Maybe the shark is the culprit?

I've known about freshwater sharks for some time, but didn't think they were that far up their.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

i think it be might be thinking jaws III, that was the one where the shark went into the water park. 2 was all in the ocean.

most of jaws II was filmed down the road from my house, on Navarre Beach,the holiday inn scenes where they had the grand opening, was filmed at the Navarre's Holiday Inn "Holidome". the pool that was there i use to swim in. we use to skip school and rent a room there and hang out on the beach and at the pool. that one got destroyed during hurricane Ivan but they are gonna build a new and it's supposed to open if 2015. i remember that many of us kids got mad cause they used extras from gulf breeze high school instead of the middle or other end of the county. the grand opening scene at the dome had a high school band playing that about 30 members were from gulf breeze high school band.some of it was filmed in destin fl.

man i want to go back in time to high school.

edit on 11-7-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The tooth line looks like a Bull shark. They're kinda unique in that respect. Not surprising. Lot's of ocean going traffic on the lakes. Maybe it trailed a ship into the lakes because they were throwing a lot of garbage over the side. Sharks are like that. I didn't say they were "good" ships, just ocean going insurance claims waiting to happen! What's that you say? throwing garbage over the side is illegal? They'll feel right at home then. We also have a guy who makes rules and laws and CHANGES exisitng laws with a cell phone and a pen. That's illigal too! Nobody cares!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join