It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trigger-Happy Albuquerque Police Department to Buy 350+ AR-15s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
What could possibly go wrong?

APD to buy 350-plus AR-15 rifles

New Mexico's largest police department, mired in controversy over the use of excessive force, is about to supply military-style weapons to officers using taxpayer money.

The investigative team at KOB Eyewitness News 4 learned that Albuquerque Police awarded a bid to a local vendor for the purchase of AR-15 rifles -- the type of gun used to kill James Boyd in the foothills in March.

This is the "controversy" the department is neck-deep in:

Mayhem Erupts in Albuquerque: Police Website Goes Down

Albuquerque Police Still an Issue: Protesters Take Over City Council Meeting

DOJ Releases Blistering Report on Conduct of Albuquerque Police Department

Albuquerque Police Promote Officer Who Burned Off Homeless Man's Ear

Et. al.

This is becoming comedy for sadists.

"You're asking for trouble, in my opinion," Peter Simonson, Executive Director of the ACLU of New Mexico said.

Simonson was unaware of the department's purchasing plans until KOB contacted him. He thought APD was moving away from using high-powered weapons after the Department of Justice said APD officers have a "pattern and practice" of using excessive and deadly force.

Look at this hand over here so's ya don't see this other one.

"The rifles were ordered as replacements for officers' authorized personally-owned rifles. They are being issued only to officers who are qualified to carry rifles and do not represent an increase in the number of rifles carried by APD officers."

Nonetheless, there now 350+ more military-style rifles in the hands of a police department that has proven itself to be abusive and irresponsible. Now they have one for home and one for work.

I feel safer already.

edit on 7/11/14 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther
With their track record, as a gun manufacturer I'd be very wary about supplying guns to these thugs. I know money reigns, but the Albuquerque PD is one gang that really makes me nervous.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   

What could possibly go wrong?

350 with a contract for 50 more = $400K.
Optics? Another $200K?

The citizens of Albuquerque should be righteously POd. Local government is sanctioning an escalation. I can't guess why they just didn't go full-tilt with M4s.
edit on 1172014 by Snarl because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

350 with a contract for 50 more = $400K.
Optics? Another $200K?

Right?

"We're going to use even more of your own money to oppress you, beat you, burn your ears off and shoot you."

Talk about arrogance.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   

The article points out, right at the bottom, that the rifles are AR-15 variant rifles, not the military grade M-16 rifle. These are the same as any civilian could go out and purchase. These, therefore, are not military style rifles.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   

I wouldn't call it arrogance. I'd call it smugness. They believe so much that they're actually helping people that anyone who stands in the way is a threat.

It's a sickness that is spreading.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

The article points out, right at the bottom, that the rifles are AR-15 variant rifles, not the military grade M-16 rifle. These are the same as any civilian could go out and purchase. These, therefore, are not military style rifles.

Style. After the manner of.

I suppose the type of rifle doesn't particularly matter much anyway. It's the slap in the face represented by beefing up an armory used by belligerent state stooges who've already stepped way over the line--typical cocky behavior of those seeking to a build a police state to keep us chattel in line.

It's a big middle finger to the people of Albuquerque in any case.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Just about every firearm out there has a basis, whether in design or style, in a military weapon.
That doesn't really matter here.
How can any thinking person that is not evil believe that putting that many more rifles in the hands of this crew is a positive move.
How many personnel are in the APD anyway?

They should be disarmed.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
All this stuff the AQPD is on the hook for is exactly the same stuff the anti's go on crying about background checks for.

If I had a long and documented record of beating, assaulting, murdering, harassing, and hostile racism you think I should have a gun?

How about 350+ of them?

But cops. The glorious and sanctified 'only ones' with their carve-outs and exceptions.

It's okay when a cop is a psychopath. It's perfectly fine when an entire department is loaded with lunatics on record. They're speeeshill. We can trust them. And if they happen to violate your rights or your life it's because you deserved it.

Because cops.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   

if the only tool you have is a hammer then every job becomes a nail and thats what going on with the pig police in the USA.

They pull a gun and anyone over anything with some BS about "He might have a gun" well a rock from Mars might fall on my head made from Gold and if they are so concerned about being shoot at then how come they are not waring bullet proof vests 24/7

The police are not on the side of the public and are nothing more in most cases than tax collectors and thugs for hire by our dear leaders and banksters.

Our police offer the same type of protection as the Mafia and they can stick this so called war on terror in the bin because it is the public who has become the target and now we need to throw phones and computers away at airports if the battery does not have a full change which is a wet dream come true for the likes of Intel and Samsung.

Free post back to your home address for these devices when offered is just sugar on the pill and will soon be dropped when people are forced to play along with the new rules and in any case the acts of a terrorists should not result in us all living in a jail.

Problem-Reaction-Soloution

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
With any luck those 350 rifles are going to be badly needed. To defend themselves from the Citizens of Albuquerque ......

It is just going to take the right guys family member to be hurt of killed by one of those thugs and being a cop there could become deadly quickly, rightfully so.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mamatus

It is just going to take the right guys family member to be hurt of killed by one of those thugs and being a cop there could become deadly quickly, rightfully so.

It would be interesting to see how a cop would react to his own son/daughter being beaten down for no apparent reason by another cop in real time.

Half of me believes the cop would simply join in the beating, unfortunately.

new topics

top topics

join