It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis Lover Loses Job After Being First to Buy Legal Pot in Spokane

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck
Seems like entrapment to me, and it would be if it was anyone else doing that to him but his employer. Shame on Kodiak Security Services!

Entrapment would have been if they gave him the doobie.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: totallackey
Well in some places like Colorado, peoples rights actually trump "the rules" it seems. When "the rules" try to trump people's rights that way, "the rules" should be slapped down.

If your job wants to test you for impairment on the job fine. They should not however, be able to test if you decided to get impaired on your days off and dismiss you for it. It is simply none of their business what you do on your own time.

edit on Fri, 11 Jul 2014 10:13:13 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71
a reply to: NthOther

That is a tough question.
Technically they can do this. Wal mart is known for firing medical MJ employees for being open about it. They can still drug test you and not hire you due to company policy.

The state may be legal, however, it is still illegal under federal law, so they can do it.

is it right?

if you are in a position where you can screw up and harm others on the job, then yes, otherwise, IMO, No.
However,until it is legal from a federal standpoint, employers can do this.

It has nothing to do with federal law. It has to do with class protection. Pot smokers are not a protected class so just like an employer can fire you for wearing a blue shirt they can fire you for smoking pot. Even if pot is legalized on a federal level, employers can still terminate your employment just because they don't like you or any other legal reason. Until pot smokers are made a protected class under your states civil rights law you can be fired for it.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: damwel
Hate to burst your bubble, but civil rights are for everyone, not just "protected classes".

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Your analysis is correct, but we've run into another "Head v. Heart" issues.

TKDRL, and others, are sympathetic to a man losing a job in this economy, and I agree, it is a tough break. I understand some of the upset displayed, and it speaks well for their empathy for others.

Unfortunately, they forget to consult their head, allowing only the heart to speak. First, it is perfectly legal to fire people, as occurred in this state. In going from "Legalize Pot," they are skipping over "Legalize the Law." Second, as was pointed out, people are fired for doing things which they do on their own time, away from work, and it happens many times daily. Any outrage expressed here? I don't see that very much. Third, employment is an agreement between employer and employee. No one thinks it's forever. The employee can leave for any reason he wants, any time he wants. Only the employee has that right? Sorry, no. What happened to the ideas of Fairness and Freedom of Choice?

I understand that there is a high-profile movement based on the position that "If I don't like the law, I don't have to enforce it," but playing with our laws that way is very dangerous and could lead to some places to which we may not want to go.

It's really irritating when the head overrules the heart, but it happens, and we shouldn't just brush it aside when it does.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Unfortunately there are those out there that still think Cannabis is worse than being drunk.

That being said...If you are employed and want some cannabis, dont do it when the TV cameras are at the weed shop.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Truth to tell ive been baked most of my life since 18yrs old.....
On the job or off......
The whole campaign against this drug is fraught with total lies and misdirection.....
The truth is that it does NOT do the same things as other drugs....and can be taken like cigarettes at any time without making the user a zombie.....
All the hype about it is pure bullship. period....im 68 yrs old and take it every day for back pain......the government lied so much about it the truth has been totally obscured.
edit on 11-7-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling
I am all for legalization but to say that the effects are the same as a cig is false it slows your reaction time down, if you where my employee and I found out that you are high on work hours I would fire you, after work I would join you but work is work and I pay my employees to be 100% on the ball.

Remember people marijuana smokers respond to "hey stupid" 10 seconds later.

edit on 11-7-2014 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Seriously???

There are drug policies enacted regardless of the State based law. Federal Law still outlaws Pot.

This person made a choice, having signed the acceptance of adhering to the policies outlined by the company they worked for. They violated that policy and now they were fired.

What is the issue here.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Washington is an "At Will" state regarding employment. That means employers can fire employees for any reason as long as it's not based upon race, color, national origin, disability, religion, sex, marital status, or age discrimination.

There is no law stating that Washington employers cannot fire smokers, tokers or alcoholics.

If a person wants to indulge in smoking pot, then it would be in their best interest to find an employer who really doesn't mind. Just don't be surprised if pickings are slim.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
So if cananis was used for a medical treatment would the employee have different rights? I'm sure it varies by State.

In the end it is a mind altering substance so common sense should be applied. If someone is doing security at a company and gets high when they leave work, but at no other time, does this impact their ability to do their job? Does getting drunk the night before impact work performance? Yes - it definitely can. If they have a glass of wine can it? No.

If it's put into the same class as alcohol and tabacco it needs to be treated like that. No one wants an alcoholic flying their plane since alcoholism can create a dry drunk scenario. Because it can be an addictive substance it can be problematic. If used responsibly I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue (someone who has a bit one evening on vacation).

Making the drug legal isn't a license to be stoned all the time, no more than being drunk all the time is ok. It should work the other way too - if it does not impact ones work performance, and they are not using at work it shouldn't be an issue. It depends on the job and the level of use, as with any mind altering substance.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952

Unfortunately, they forget to consult their head, allowing only the heart to speak.

It's really irritating when the head overrules the heart, but it happens, and we shouldn't just brush it aside when it does.

So... which is it? Are we too stupid or too compassionate? Both?

In any case, there's obviously something wrong with us for wanting society to stop treating cannabis users like second-class (or worse) citizens.

What silly tripe we spew.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
>>
The truth is that it does NOT do the same things as other drugs....and can be taken like cigarettes at any time without making the user a zombie.....
>>

It's a effing hallucinogen. Now tell me you drive a car or work a job or operate machinery when you're high out of your frickin' mind? Good riddance.

I am just waiting for a justification that it's ok to drive a car while people are stoned believing they're orbiting Saturn.

Some of the MJ advocates INDEED seem not to be concerned driving a car while stoned since allegedly MJ is "not so much different than a cigarette". Give me a break....you know that this comparison is utterly ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Both.

Individuals have the right to partake in legal substances in their off time.

Employers have the right to maintain a substance free work place.

To make it fair, they should test for active THC vs trace THC like they do in CO for DUI screening. However, this employer is for security services. Much like a CDL driver, security personnel are held to a different degree of standards then regular employees. Due to his position in security it makes sense that his employer would have different rules than an average company.

He couldn't be drunk on the job, so he can't be high on the job. This is where the difference between active TCH (11-OH-THC) and inactive THC (11-COOH-THC) comes into play, and it is a critical difference.

The liver oxidizes 11-OH-THC using enzymes and alters the substance into 11-COOH-THC. 11-OH-THC is psycho-altering (actively high); but only remains in that state until the liver metabolizes it naturally (approx. 3 hours). This is how long most "highs" last similar to a drunken state.

11-COOH-THC (after metabolized by liver and oxidized) has no effect on the mind, but remains in the system in trace amounts for up to 60 days. This is the substance that shows up 30 days later in blood/urine tests used by 99% of employers.

God Bless,

edit on 11-7-2014 by ElohimJD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed

It's a effing hallucinogen. Now tell me you drive a car or work a job or operate machinery when you're high out of your frickin' mind? Good riddance.

Marijuana is NOT a hallucinogen.

Get your facts straight. Ignorance is the biggest problem in this whole thing, IMHO.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman

Seriously???

There are drug policies enacted regardless of the State based law. Federal Law still outlaws Pot.

This person made a choice, having signed the acceptance of adhering to the policies outlined by the company they worked for. They violated that policy and now they were fired.

What is the issue here.

yup macman....I agree with you on this.....until the company's policy changes, or fed law prohibits being fired for it, he is at the mercy of the employer
edit on 11-7-2014 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Now, I don't agree with laws making it illegal for an adult to smoke pot.
But.......................the company, regardless if Federal law changes, should hold the ability to say it is against policy.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
False. I am a smoker. I have worked for companies that will not hire you, and will terminate you if they find out you are a smoker.

bizactions.com...,751&type=2

Some states have "smoker protection" laws - most do not.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed

Marijuana is NOT a hallucinogen.

Get your facts straight. Ignorance is the biggest problem in this whole thing, IMHO.

well you may not think so but medical science does. not as strong as mushrooms,peyote and other plants, or man made hallucinogens

just one of many sources that say so.

Marijuana, L.S.D., and PCP Marijuana and hashish, two substances derived from the hemp plant (Cannabis sativa), are also considered natural hallucinogens, although their potency (power) is very low when compared to others. Marijuana (also called grass, pot, tea, weed, or reefer), a green herb from the flower of the hemp plant, is considered a mild hallucinogen. Hashish is marijuana in a more potent, concentrated form. Both drugs are usually smoked. Their effects include a feeling of relaxation, faster heart rate, the sensation that time is passing more slowly, and a greater sense of hearing, taste, touch, and smell. Even the most potent of these naturally occurring hallucinogens is not nearly as powerful and unpredictable as the synthetic hallucinogen L.S.D., which is chemically derived from ergot, a parasitic fungus (a fungus that lives in or on a host, deriving benefits from the host while injuring it) that grows on rye and other grains. L.S.D. became well known in the 1960s, when many people sought spiritual enlightenment through the use of drugs.
Hallucinogens

edit on 11-7-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

and just one more link. this from a stoner page.
What Makes Marijuana a ‘Psychoactive’ Substance?
edit on 11-7-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
Hate to burst your bubble, but civil rights are for everyone, not just "protected classes".

Pot was just legalized for two stated in 2014. This year. And all of the sudden you think pot smokers are "being kept down by the man?"

It's people like you that will make the legalization go away. Nobody owes you anything. This whole process is going to take a lot of time to get sorted out.

As a potential employer, I want sharp folks working with me. I personally wouldn't care what you did with your off time, but if you came in high, I'd fire you real quick and in a hurry.

Be happy for the win. It's a big one. But it's a battle and you have not yet won the war.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join