It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine Who Smiled After His Limbs Were Blown Off Pushes Medical Science

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Marine Who Smiled After His Limbs Were Blown Off Pushes Medical Science

You don’t have to look far to find heroes among us – many already know someone who is fighting for our lives. Heroes are real – they’re soldiers.

US Marine Gunnery Sergeant Brian Meyer was a bomb technician in Afghanistan. In 2001, his life changed forever when an explosive device Meyer was defusing exploded prematurely. Only 29 years old, the Marine was nearly killed by the blast. The explosion took his right hand, his right leg just above the knee, and three fingers off his left hand.

Meyer was lucky to even have survived, so when a fellow soldier took a photo of the Sergeant while he was receiving treatment on the battlefield, he smiled – an expression that was just as inspiring as it was heartbreaking given the circumstances. Meyer knew that his defiance in the face of death would motivate his comrades to keep going.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The integrity and strength of character this guy has is just unbelievable. I don't know who he is or where he is going in life, but he is incredible. You're an inspiration, dude!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

You're an inspiration, dude!

He truly is!

I am going to try to remember this photo when I feel like I am having a bad day. It will help me keep things in perspective.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

He truly is!

I am going to try to remember this photo when I feel like I am having a bad day. It will help me keep things in perspective.

I don't get it ! And I know I'm I'm gonna get a backlash but surely he wasn't any good at his job else it wouldn't have gone off !
Hat off for him for been brave but no one forced him to to do his job !
If he was fixing a fuse board and got an electric shock and lost limbs would he be a hero?
Why are soldiers Heroes when they fail !
What about the soldiers who do there job properly !

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

He truly is!

Wow.... I don't really have much to add other than this really makes you re-think your own personal circumstances, and renews my appreciation for what I have, and the problems I don't have.

S&F OP.

~Namaste

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Denoli

I personally know Brian, he's an awesome dude and he was plenty good at his job.

It's disappointing when people run their mouths about things when they obviously have no idea what they're talking about.
Try just walking around in Afghanistan for a few months let alone digging bombs out of the ground and see how many limbs you come back with.
edit on 10-7-2014 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli

He truly is!

I don't get it ! And I know I'm I'm gonna get a backlash but surely he wasn't any good at his job else it wouldn't have gone off !
If he was fixing a fuse board and got an electric shock and lost limbs would he be a hero?

Bomb defusing is not an exact science. Are you crazy? "surely he wasnt very good at his job"..... Ya like the race car driver that dies in a crash right? Or the fireman that dies in a building collapse? How about a window washer that just happened to be on the wrong side of the building when the 80 MPH gust of wind came in out of nowhere? Do you see where this is headed?

He is doing one of the hardest jobs on earth, because he has the ability to do so, and it needs to be done. Or do you lack any kind of understanding about civic pride and service? Do you only understand greed then?

Soldiers like firemen etc... are heroes because they put themselves in harms so that the rest of the populous doesnt have to, either because they physically or mentally cant, or they just lack the mental state required to put others, even those one doesnt know above themselves.

It is called community service, you should try it, it is good for the soul.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I have done community service and felt good doing it but is the window cleaner A hero for dying ? No he was doing a job .
And we're u do a job u know the risks !
What about miners who die ?
Are they heroes ? No
It's about risk assessments !
And preventative measures !
Not just # I thought u said the red one !
edit on 10-7-2014 by Denoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

He truly is!

Soldiers are heroes because they got their limbs blown off instead of some terrorist loading up a truck full of explosives and blowing off all of yours, or worse yet, your friends and families. He failed at nothing, and you fail to see the forest from the trees my friend.

He didn't fail. He did his job properly and was probably damn good at it, otherwise it might have been a few dozen other soldiers missing limbs or dead.

A window cleaner isn't protecting people and neither is an electrician in most cases.

I'm rather floored that you would look at things that way, but to each his own.

~Namaste

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DenoliHe is a hero for rising above, he is a hero for having the strength to come back from the brink of death with a smile on his face, he is a hero for inspiring children fighting for their lives in hospital beds, he is a hero for making that sacrifice so you,your family,your loved ones don't have to.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I don't think you get the point of Denoli's comment. I agree that this guy is brave and has incredible integrity and courage. But why celebrate...note?...this event any more...or less... than any other occupational injury? I believe Denoli's comment is made in regards to denying ignorance to the occupation this man chose. Not being ignorant of the dangers that man chose to face by joining the military and going on tour to the biggest crap hole in the world. I am sure he joined with altruistic notions, however how is someone who has little to no interest/experience in what the US military does, feel any emotions/thoughts beyond, "that sucks, but good for him for trucking on!"?

I don't see occupationally injured people as hero's, but I do see them as inspirations for innovation and improvement and examples of the fragility of life.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
One of my best friends has been back and forth to camp bastion and if it was a Brit who did it would he be classed as a hero !
No ! He's had some bad advice !
Or a bad decision somewhere along the lines! Yes there doing a service but so does everyone who works ! I don't get the bs about military personnel who go to kill people and end up on the wrong end of the # there doing themselves .
Double standards I say !
If you kick a wasps nest and get stung it's your own fault ! And don't play the hero bs !
Admire him ! Yes I do
Admire the milkman who delivery milk to the pensioners ! Yes I do
Admire the guys who take time out to train young kids at sports who could fall into the drug trap ! Yes I do Heroes !
Nope
edit on 10-7-2014 by Denoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Your last comment- that he's a hero for doing what he did so you and others don't have to? That is a bunch of brainwashed propaganda if I ever heard it. Believe what you want, but you can't admit that there was a good reason to put troops in Afghanistan or Iraq... Or anywhere for that matter. It just continues on the age old idiotic mentality of us vs them. And to what end? So you occupy a country...then what? Sorry if you...or anyone else takes offence to these comments, but I am here to deny ignorance. Not promote it.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Lets just shoot a hole in this "is the fellow a hero if he was just doing his job?" malarkey right now, shall we?

When an office clerk dies in a freak photocopier accident, no, he is not a hero. When a fire fighter dies in the line of duty, you can bet your last penny, yes that person is a hero.

The distinction is simple. A soldier, or a fire fighter, or even a policeman (God help me), knows that each day may be their last on Earth, and while that is true for all of us, those people face a higher than average mortality rate. Bomb disposal experts like the man around which the article revolves, are no exception to that. When ones job involves defusing highly unstable, home made explosive devices, sometimes while gunfire is being exchanged within earshot, one is not merely "doing a job". The people who do that work are not running a nine to five, they are not going home to a cosy apartment at the end of the day, sipping gin and tonic at their favourite bar after work.

The people who do this vital work, for all that I disagree with the wars that lead to their presence where they are, are doing it despite the fact that it is INSANE to even APPROACH the devices that they are dealing with. Some of these things are designed to lift an armoured vehicle off the ground and deposit it on its roof, or destroy it entirely. The effect that sort of power can have on a body, even one armoured to the eyeballs, is terrifying. We are talking the potential to vapourise a person, to scatter them so thoroughly that an arm could end up in a totally different part of town to a leg.

Now sure, the people who do this mind buggeringly dangerous work get trained, and they train hard. They do so because the people who build explosive devices, are constantly changing the way they operate, the way they build things, so not only do the bomb disposal techs have to train like mad, they also have to be adaptable in the field.

But have no doubt, someone who dares to step within eyesight of one of these bombs is a hero. Someone who has the stability of hand, given the risk involved, to touch the things with a hope in hell of coming away without loosing a limb, or their life, is a LEGEND. If you ever meet a bomb tech who just says "I do it, its my job, no biggy", they are not saying that for your benefit, they are saying it for theirs, they are trying to convince themselves that what they do is not the most dangerous thing they could possibly do with their time.

It damned well IS though. In the same way as a fireman who dies in a fire, or gets a serious burn, a soldier who loses a leg, an arm, or a life, while removing bombs from war torn nations, IS a hero. There are not many better, or easier definitions of the word.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The army disposal guys who realise the bombs gonna go off and jumps on it to save his friends life is a hero !
The fireman who sees kids trapped and goes in knowing he's got a very high chance of dying is a hero !
People who go above and beyond there line of duty are Heroes !
People who get caught out doing there jobs ain't Heroes !
I bet about 95% of your so called heroes when there on there own think if only everyone knew what really happened !

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Is that a morphine Smile?

Sounds all nice, but the propaganda machine stinks!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

The guy took a high-risk but necessary occupation, defusing and removing IEDs and ordnance. But that alone is not what makes him a hero, even if it was one of these bombs going off that cost him his limbs. IMO it's what he has been doing since that makes him a true hero at heart, not just persevering on his own but helping other wounded soldiers through their ordeal.

Maybe one of these days you'll realize that what keeps society safe for ingrates like you are some of these unsung heroes who are willing to lay down their lives every day as a job.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer

The guy took a high-risk but necessary occupation, defusing and removing IEDs and ordnance. But that alone is not what makes him a hero, even if it was one of these bombs going off that cost him his limbs. IMO it's what he has been doing since that makes him a true hero at heart, not just persevering on his own but helping other wounded soldiers through their ordeal.

Maybe one of these days you'll realize that what keeps society safe for ingrates like you are some of these unsung heroes who are willing to lay down their lives every day as a job.

Why should I be grateful he's done jack for me , he's invaded a country and got caught out ! And a unsung hero pffft . And your shocked a disposal expert got hurt by a bomb ! It's all part of the territory ! He knew what he was getting his self in for !

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic If brave, patriotic men stopped enlisting, they would draft people like you to go fight these wars. So yes, the reason you don't have to go off to war is because of men like this. Remember that the men fighting the wars are not the men starting them.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'm not going to claim that he is a hero. Nor will I claim that he has done jack for you. But you said that he knew what he was getting himself in for. But I don't know that. Maybe he trusted that his superiors were trustworthy and honorable. What he does deserve is empathy for his suffering and loss. Your anger, along with mine, should be directed at the immoral war machine that sucked him up and spit out his damaged body. I am hoping that you agree that at this point we have a moral obligation to try to make him whole again.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   

He truly is!

Have you ever watched the World War II series "Danger UXB"? Soldiers had to put up with the never-ending constant change of the weapons. The day they dreaded the most was to find a bomb they had never seen before. Sometimes all sorts of devious tricks were used; arming locks that exploded the device if turned one way but defused it if turned the other way.

He's smiling because he's lucky to be alive and not all over the place.

www.imdb.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

<<   2 >>

join