It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assemble Ghosthunters! I need your help. There's a big possibly 'haunted' house my parents are to

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Okay so to put this out first. I am an atheist who does not believe in anything paranormal. Same goes for my family including grand parents, cousins etc.

Okay to set the scene this up on Dartmoor which has millions of ghost stories and paranormal folklore surrounding it. Nothing I could find specifically for this certain house though. The "possibly haunted" house in question is empty, has been for maybe a year now or just over. This house is pretty big, it's empty so no furniture really or anything. My Mother uses the downstairs living room to store linen, towels, bed sheets and that sort of thing for the holiday homes that surround this big house. The house is pretty old and was built around early 1900's. When the family that lived here were still around weird things started to happen.

Creepy happenings:
My mum sometimes goes upstairs for glassware stored in one room and these things have happened to her... For example weird photo's from the 70's appearing on the floor, a 1970's yoyo and a couple of exercise books appear out of no where in one of the rooms.
When the house has been completely empty and my mum was cleaning she put a small toy on the window ledge, when shes came back into the room it has been removed and can't be found. No windows open or any explainable way it could of been removed.
Playing cards have been found in the floor board sides so they stick up out the ground. Mum had put away the cards in their box only a few minutes before this was discovered by her and the grounds keeper.
Lights have been turned on when my mum is in a room.
In one of the rooms there has been a mass swarm of flies but no signs of a dead animal. Just in that rooms not the house.
A recent pair of guests in one of the holiday cottages came into the big house but said they didn't ant to go upstairs because it didn't feel right.

At this point my thinks not much of it and doesn't assume it's anything paranormal. Those things happened a while ago. However over the last month maybe things are happening regularly. My Mother and Father are the only people who go into that house now as nobody else needs to. Very regularly, mainly morning time my mum is saying very loud and distinct footsteps are happening upstairs, she has also heard walking and what sounded like something being dragged along the floor after the footseps. She has also heard very loud bangs. Really loud like someone pounding the floor with a fist. My dad has been hearing noises to although he doesn't go in as much as my mum. A couple of days ago my mum was talking with guests at the holiday home about some of the noises shes heard and they went downstairs but refused to go up.
My mum has closed all the upstairs doors, however upon going back up they have all been opened again. No windows to cause a draft either.

Even I admit this is all pretty strange. This is only happening in the morning time (usually). Tomorrow I am going there with a video camera and voice recorder thing to see if I experience anything. I come to you for advice. I don't believe at this point but I'm not close minded. What should I be looking out for, any signs, how should I approach it type of thing. My mum is pretty freaked out and coming from a background of not believing in things it's pretty strange for it to get this far getting my mum spooked. We did a Ouija board at uni to scare my flatmate. I could bring a bring that Ouija board to the house tomorrow as I think I kept it. I will bring my nun chucks too in case it is a tramp hiding out. But I just want to know what would active people on the ATS paranormal board do in my situation.

Thank you.
edit on 10/7/14 by Blue Goblin because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/7/14 by Blue Goblin because: spelling

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Goblin

To at least make your mom feel better, take a little salt and make a "circle" around the house, sprinkle holy water in every room, and get some sage and do a sage circuit of the house and grounds (every room, all around). In this way you will enjoy the ceremonial part of religion and belief without having to believe in it, and it will at least give your mom a reason to be less concerned about the ghost, who, in any case, will float there and be vastly entertained by your shenanigans.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Sound advice, maybe if I try speaking in tongues it may try talking back to me haha. Mums not spooked to the point where shes frightened to go inside, she still goes about her business everyday. It's just sometimes, quite often now a lot of noises are coming from upstairs. The more weird things like the doors open and playing cards up and toy missing are from quite a while ago now.
edit on 10/7/14 by Blue Goblin because: spelling

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I would not record anything.

So far everything is harmless. Why open doors?

Especially doors you do not know how to close.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Why not record? Seems like the best way to document if I find anything be it to a tramp hiding up there to a nazi demon. Visual proof is the best proof. Nobody opened the doors, my mum just closed the upstairs doors after tidying I guess and she found them all open later.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Goblin

Why not record? Seems like the best way to document if I find anything be it to a tramp hiding up there to a nazi demon. Visual proof is the best proof. Nobody opened the doors, my mum just closed the upstairs doors after tidying I guess and she found them all open later.

I have heard (I have no facts) that by communicating you can make things worse.

If something knows it can get your attention it could get more persistent.

It's kind of like the Ouija Board....Possible unintended consequences.

Get a Pro...

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

I have heard (I have no facts) that by communicating you can make things worse.

If something knows it can get your attention it could get more persistent.

It's kind of like the Ouija Board....Possible unintended consequences.

Get a Pro...

I do need to go up and investigate though just in case it is a squatter. Mum says she doesn't believe in ghosts but it makes her scared to be in there alone so if someone is up there I need to visually document it. However if it is paranormal why would it be a bad thing if I make it, whatever it could be, more persistent? i think more proof is a good thing. i don't think we will get to the point we feel we need a priest in

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I could bring a bring that Ouija board to the house tomorrow as I think I kept it.

NO NO NO. It will cure you of not believing in anything .... but not in a good way.
Don't do that. It will just be asking for trouble. Really.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
take a little salt and make a "circle" around the house, sprinkle holy water in every room, and get some sage and do a sage circuit of the house and grounds (every room, all around).

perfect advice.
that will most likely clear out whatever is in there and make it more people friendly. The OP can google up how to properly sage a property or we can walk him through it.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Sounds a bit like poltergeist phenomena.

Checking the house for a squatter is harmless enough, but if you experience anything paranormal, I would look into having someone else go through the house in order to attempt to establish what you may be dealing with.

I was a paranormal investigator (I have ties with former members of well known groups), and I've experienced some very odd things, including being struck by unseen hands. It's not fun if you're inexperienced.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
leave the Ouiji @ home
baby steps...

I would take digital recorders
video & audio

look & listen...
bring back for
upload & discussion

good luck

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: Aleister
take a little salt and make a "circle" around the house, sprinkle holy water in every room, and get some sage and do a sage circuit of the house and grounds (every room, all around).

perfect advice.
that will most likely clear out whatever is in there and make it more people friendly. The OP can google up how to properly sage a property or we can walk him through it.

I don't know where I'd get enough sage as it is a pretty big house and grounds. I can bring salt though so I will do that. I'd probably need a lot of holy water too so i don't think I'd be able to do that tomorrow. I will leave the board at home if everyone really thinks thats a bad idea. Thanks for the tips though! If things persist I guess I will have to try sage and holy water. Where do I get holy water though?

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

My advice is to get some sage sticks, and smudge the house from top to bottom as well as the suggested salt.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the paranormal non-believer,
it sounds like you are about to have a change of view.

Everything sounds like a young teenager in the house.

Look up different ways of cleansing, and find something that you and your family can do to clean the place out "spiritually".

Sage acts like a sanitizer, it will remove any negativity, as the smoke is an irritant to spirits for some reason. Lots of people speculate on why, however, almost everyone that works with these things will agree,
it works.

My personal thought on this, leave the ouija board at home, and if you really want to do an investigation, get some cameras, a digital tape recorder, and spend a few days going from room to room snapping pictures and talking about each room as you go through it while recording yourself. Places where you suspect paranormal things have happened, are places to stop and try EVP sessions, but digitally record everything.

Of course you also want to look into the history of the house.
Since you seem to have a 1970's kind of feel to what is going on, I would start with the history from the early 60's. Well, all of the history of the house, but I think the 1960's and early 70's might have the most information.

Keep us informed. It sounds very interesting.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I guess I will have to try sage and holy water. Where do I get holy water though?

Catholic churches and monasteries have holy water fonts in the front part of their churches. Some have little silver holders that you can put your container under and fill them up. Sage can be ordered online in any quantity you wish.

If you can't find holy water, just get a jug of water and take it to a priest and ask him to bless it and make holy water. If you do that, you can ask him for some blessed medals as well ... St. Michael or Miraculous Medals. There are some small tin like ones that are very inexpensive.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71

My advice is to get some sage sticks, and smudge the house from top to bottom as well as the suggested salt.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the paranormal non-believer,
it sounds like you are about to have a change of view.

Everything sounds like a young teenager in the house.

Look up different ways of cleansing, and find something that you and your family can do to clean the place out "spiritually".

Sage acts like a sanitizer, it will remove any negativity, as the smoke is an irritant to spirits for some reason. Lots of people speculate on why, however, almost everyone that works with these things will agree,
it works.

My personal thought on this, leave the ouija board at home, and if you really want to do an investigation, get some cameras, a digital tape recorder, and spend a few days going from room to room snapping pictures and talking about each room as you go through it while recording yourself. Places where you suspect paranormal things have happened, are places to stop and try EVP sessions, but digitally record everything.

Of course you also want to look into the history of the house.
Since you seem to have a 1970's kind of feel to what is going on, I would start with the history from the early 60's. Well, all of the history of the house, but I think the 1960's and early 70's might have the most information.

Keep us informed. It sounds very interesting.

There isn't much documented history. I've found out though that the family living there in the 1970's are still alive. However the man who lived there didn't leave it to his children, he left it to the grounds keepers son. He is close with his children though and he lives with one of them so he didn't not leave them the house out out spite. It was in their family since the second world war or just after I think.

Also if it is a young spirit wouldn't it be quite mean to irritate it? How do you think one guy with not much knowledge or resources go best about investigating this paranormally?

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I just realized that I never addressed the Ouija board. My apologies.

In the event that you decide that you wish to conduct an investigation on your own (I don't recommend it, unless you have sober-minded friends to help):

As many have said already, leave it at home. I personally do not feel a Ouija board is reliable for anything other than the "creepy" factor when it comes to investigations; too many variables are involved in its use.

Recorders are great, and so are camcorders (preferably with IR).

When interacting with a suspected entity, DO NOT PROVOKE IT. Be respectful at all times.

Once you have established what you are dealing with, you will then have a better idea of how to interact with the entity.

You'll notice that I do not refer to these things as "spirits". The reason for this is simple; no one truly knows what they are (spirits of the deceased, inhumans, pure spirits), if they are anything at all (environmental effects, hallucinations, etc.).

Though they haven't been proven to help in any way, an EMF meter can also be useful. The standard K-2 sells for around $50.

And last but not least, if you are conducting your own investigation, BRING PLENTY OF REPLACEMENT BATTERIES!

Happy hunting!

edit on 7/10/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: Typo

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
I just realized that I never addressed the Ouija board. My apologies.

In the event that you decide that you wish to conduct an investigation on your own (I don't recommend it, unless you have sober-minded friends to help):

As many have said already, leave it at home. I personally do not feel a Ouija board is reliable for anything other than the "creepy" factor when it comes to investigations; too many variables are involved in its use.

Recorders are great, and so are camcorders (preferably with IR).

When interacting with a suspected entity, DO NOT PROVOKE IT. Be respectful at all times.

Once you have established what you are dealing with, you will then have a better idea of how to interact with the entity.

You'll notice that I do not refer to these things as "spirits". The reason for this is simple; no one truly knows what they are (spirits of the deceased, inhumans, pure spirits), if they are anything at all (environmental effects, hallucinations, etc.).

Though they haven't been proven to help in any way, an EMF meter can also be useful. The standard K-2 sells for around $50.

And last but not least, if you are conducting your own investigation, BRING PLENTY OF REPLACEMENT BATTERIES!

Happy hunting!

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I do think actually that Ouija board sounds a bit like commercialized spookiness.
I will bring plenty of spare battery and cameras, none of mine are IR though sadly. I will be sitting downstairs in the house all day so if I hear noises I can run upstairs camera in hand in seconds.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Well that is a start for the history.

Maybe they were a very angry and argumentative family.
That would leave a residual haunting too. It doesn't have to be that someone died, as a lot of people think. Just very intense emotions can have an effect on a house or building. Especially if the house starts to take on a life of it's own.

The flies kind of bug me. That sounds negative, but that could just be from me watching the Exorcist when I was little...lol

Find someone with an Xbox 360 or Xbox one with a kinect camera and set it up in the room you think is most likely to get you some results. The camera will pick something up if you are lucky.

I am kind of playing with this myself. First time I tried it, it worked...or maybe it was a glitch.. lol
But the trial run in my living room, after requesting someone to appear got results.

edit on 10-7-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Flies tend to generate a negative reaction no matter how they're found.

Most people tend to jump to the "demonic" conclusion when they hear of flies in one room (the Lord of the Flies, aka Beelzebub, anyone?).
However, there could easily be a dead animal in the walls, floor or somewhere that isn't immediately obvious to the home owners. As well as other items like rotting food, or detritus.

If it was my home, I'd keep a weather eye out, but I wouldn't automatically assume anything malevolent was afoot.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71

Well that is a start for the history.

Maybe they were a very angry and argumentative family.
That would leave a residual haunting too. It doesn't have to be that someone died, as a lot of people think. Just very intense emotions can have an effect on a house or building. Especially if the house starts to take on a life of it's own.

The flies kind of bug me. That sounds negative, but that could just be from me watching the Exorcist when I was little...lol

Find someone with an Xbox 360 or Xbox one with a kinect camera and set it up in the room you think is most likely to get you some results. The camera will pick something up if you are lucky.

I am kind of playing with this myself. First time I tried it, it worked...or maybe it was a glitch.. lol
But the trial run in my living room, after requesting someone to appear got results.

Yeah the flies sound kind of cheesy haha. There's lots of dead flies as nobody uses the house anymore. But Mum said there was a bizarre amount just in this one room. No dead animals even in floor boards.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join