It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four kids, two adults shot dead near Houston

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: th2356

Let me quess this is woks second account

The o e that agrees with him when noone else will

I figure that because u skip the same posts

You know

The ones that prove u wrong

Nice straw attack on america btw

Now who is sic?
edit on am720143107America/ChicagoTue, 15 Jul 2014 07:59:36 -0500_7u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

This isn't a real issue? Mass shootings aren't a real issue?

This is a real issue, weekly events like this occur. Every year more people are killed by people with guns than died on 9/11. And we started two wars over that.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: HauntWok

Seeing as how the total number of people who died during 9/11 was 2996 people, that really isn't that hard to surpass in a year...

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

I have no idea who *wok" is. And I skip whatever post I want to, whenever I want to, there is absolutely nothing in the ATS T&C that says I have to read or reply to every post in a thread.

Now, do you have anything to say about what I wrote in my post? Anything at all that is even remotely on topic regarding the mindless paranoia and aggression that are the hallmarks of American gun culture?

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Elliot Rodgers stabbed three people in his apartment before using a gun to kill more.

Taking guns away is not going to solve the problem.

We need to address WHY this is happening.

Mass shootings were as not as prevalent before the mid 90's.

We must address the psychotropic drugs that are being manufactured and dispensed like candy, and the side effects that they are causing.

This would be a beginning.

If you take guns away, then other methods of killing will be used. You are only removing the symptom of the problem, not the root cause.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

This is acceptable? More people die in this country every year due to guns than the event that kicked off two wars?

And it's acceptable? How high does the body count have to get?

There were less people that fought tooth and nail, claiming our president was born in KENYA and it was enough so that legislation was proposed to force candidates to prove where they were born.

But three times as many people die, actually die a year from gun violence and it's acceptable?

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Sigh... I guess I need to link to this wikipedia page AGAIN.

List of motor vehicle deaths in U.S. by year

33,561 deaths by motor accident in 2012 alone. That is TEN times the amount that died in 9/11. You really need to put things in perspective.

Leading Causes of Death

Heart disease: 597,689
Cancer: 574,743
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 138,080
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 129,476
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 120,859
Alzheimer's disease: 83,494
Diabetes: 69,071
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,476
Influenza and Pneumonia: 50,097
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 38,364

Nothing on there about firearms. You are really blowing smoke by trying to make your numbers at stats seem worse than they are.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: th2356

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.nytimes.com...

You and Hauntwork are all Style and no Substance.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Here's the thing about motor vehicle ACCIDENTS versus intentional homicides by firearms.

The government and vehicle manufacturers DO something about it so to lessen these deaths. Everyone knows that you can't prevent all these deaths from happening, but you can do something to lessen the amount and frequency of these kinds of events.

Nothing on there about firearms. You are really blowing smoke by trying to make your numbers at stats seem worse than they are.

The CDC? Oh I must have mistaken homicides for disease, are you suggesting people that are shot by a gun die not from the trauma inflicted by the wound but by severe lead poisoning?

Here, let's look at a better set of statistics on this issue:

www.fbi.gov...

Really, how high does the body count have to get before it's a "real" issue?

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

The United States isn't China.

Why don't you research the type and severity of these attacks in China, then see if there are more stabbing deaths in China than there are shooting deaths in the United States:

www.fbi.gov...

There's your information: unbiased source as I can get.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: HauntWok

Here's the thing about motor vehicle ACCIDENTS versus intentional homicides by firearms.

The government and vehicle manufacturers DO something about it so to lessen these deaths. Everyone knows that you can't prevent all these deaths from happening, but you can do something to lessen the amount and frequency of these kinds of events.

You say this like the government isn't doing something to prevent firearm deaths as well. Again, I bring your attention to this.

Gun violence in US has fallen dramatically over past 20 years, Justice Dept. report finds

Murders committed with a gun dropped 39 percent to 11,101 in 2011, from a high of 18,253 in 1993, according to the report.

Other crimes committed with guns were down even more sharply — from 1.53 million in 1993 to 467,300 in 2011, a drop of 70 percent, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

The CDC? Oh I must have mistaken homicides for disease, are you suggesting people that are shot by a gun die not from the trauma inflicted by the wound but by severe lead poisoning?

If you had bothered to LOOK at that list, you'd notice that it wasn't just diseases that were on it. Accidents made the list.

Here, let's look at a better set of statistics on this issue:

www.fbi.gov...

Statistics on homicide deaths? That just shows gun crimes in a vacuum. That's useless.

Really, how high does the body count have to get before it's a "real" issue?

Well seeing as how the body count is decreasing over the years, you have no point here. The better question is, how LOW does the body count have to get before we can end the left's crusade against guns?
edit on 15-7-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Statistics on homicide deaths? That just shows gun crimes in a vacuum. That's useless.

That's nice, let's ignore the data, while trying to propose your own data set that is completely irrelevant.

It's only useless to people that have an agenda to promote, encourage, and glamorize the pro gun violence culture in America.

The real agenda here is the pro gun crowd that celebrates the deaths of innocent people because they have the opportunity to obfuscate the issue and shout down anyone who opposes a culture of gun violence in this country.

David Brooks highlighted this discrepancy back in July. For much of the 20th century there were, on average, a handful of mass killings per decade. But that number spiked in 1980, and kept rising thereafter. In the United States, there have now been at least 62 mass shootings in the past three decades, with 24 in the last seven years alone, according to a recent Mother Jones survey. This has happened even as the nation's overall violent crime and homicide rates have been dropping.

www.washingtonpost.com...

It is among the most troubling calls a police department can receive: the report of an active shooter. It could mean a domestic dispute, or a gunman on the loose. We all remember Newtown, Conn., and Aurora, Colo. Those events - mass shootings - have spiked in the United States, in recent years.

J. PETE BLAIR: In a nutshell, what we're looking at is instances of attempted mass murder. Somebody goes to a location with the intent to kill a lot of people. From about 2000 to 2008, you see roughly five attacks per year going on. And then in 2009, there's a spike, where it goes up; and since 2009, we've been averaging about 15 attacks per year.

www.npr.org...

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I see you ignored my point about the decreasing amount of gun violence over the years. Then you go off an say that the pro-gun crowd celebrates deaths of innoncents AGAIN which is completely untrue. Do you ever argue honestly or are all your points mired in hyperbole, strawmans, and lies? I mean it's really sad to argue with you. You are completely blinded by your ideology to the point that you cannot recognize that the EXACT thing that you want, a decrease in gun violence, is occurring and you STILL want to impose more rules and regulations on the innoncent gun holders who haven't committed any crimes.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I didn't ignore it.

It is a fact that single instances of gun violence HAS gone down over the years. But at the same time these instances of mass shootings has increased over the years.

The difference between these two types of gun violence is that the majority of the time the shooter in the mass shooting obtained his firearm LEGALLY.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Difference? Then why are you lumping all gun crimes into your argument? You gave me a link to the fbi on total homicides in the US. That isn't JUST mass shootings. So clearly, you are just using the mass shooting angle to further your crusade against guns. It's pretty obvious and like I said, quite sad. Until you can show that gun crime is increasing again, you are in the wrong. It's just as simple as that. Mass shootings happen, they are just part of life and may be a product of our society, but I'm not exactly scared of them like you seem to be. Even though the number of them has risen since the 80's (still in the double digits though, the spike of 50% in mass shootings from the 70's to the 80's is like 13 mass shootings to 28 mass shootings) they still aren't that common and the odds of being affected by one are ridiculously low.

Mass shootings toll exceeds 900 in past seven years

900 people in seven years. That is a REALLY small number when you consider the fact that there are something like 314 million people in America.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Funny, as your posted stats show "Gun" crime has decreased, as the ATF numbers show firearms sales/ownership has skyrocketed.

And that is here in the US.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

In 2011, an estimated 1,203,564 violent crimes occurred nationwide, a decrease of 3.8 percent from the 2010 estimate.

Your style is getting pretty weak.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I understand your position. If we as a society don't promote and embrace the fundamental lifestyle of gun violence in this country, people might actually be appalled that people are murdered by firearms in this country and might actually demand that something be done about it.

I get it, I understand, if people are allowed to actually speak out against gun violence, something might get done about it. You have to fight against speaking out against gun violence. It's a direct threat to the idea that the United States is actually the wild west and that bad guys wear black hats, the good guys wear white hats and they stand ten paces away from each other and draw on the count of three.

Of course the sane might argue that we should fight against gun violence whenever we can, and educate the public that while a gun itself isn't the problem, maybe the people behind the gun are crazy and shouldn't be walking around with a freaking hand cannon.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

See this is what I'm getting at. Instead of addressing the points I JUST made about decreasing gun violence and that mass shootings really aren't as dire as everyone makes them out to be, you write an entire post of hyperbole talking about things that I never said or claimed I agreed with. It makes you look ridiculous and also like you don't have a leg to stand on. I guess this answers my question. You CAN'T have an argument without filling it to the brim with fallacies and lies.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

The decrease in gun violence certainly isn't due to the pro gun crowd.

It's due to the efforts of sensible gun laws, better enforcement, better education, and people who are tired of being shouted down by Alex Jones types.

Do you know what caused the increase in gun sales?

Obama being elected president. Paranoid nutburgers that actually thought he was going to ban guns.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join