It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: Iraq tells U.N. that 'terrorist groups' seized nuclear materials

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
The hard part is over.

science.howstuffworks.com...

Uranium oxide contains two types (or isotopes) of uranium: U-235 and U-238. U-235 is what you need if you want to make a bomb or fuel a nuclear power plant. But the uranium oxide from the mine is about 99 percent U-238. So you need to somehow separate the U-235 from the U-238 and increase the amount of U-235. The process of concentrating the U-235 is called enrichment, and centrifuges are a central part of the process.

It's ain't gonna be easy creating enriched uranium but they have the money & the drive to do it.

It's really huge that ISIS is in possession of uranium. Why this isn't a hot topic & on everyone's mind is scary.
edit on 10-7-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
The hard part is over.

Uranium oxide contains two types (or isotopes) of uranium: U-235 and U-238. U-235 is what you need if you want to make a bomb or fuel a nuclear power plant.

According to the Original Post they did not steal enriched uranium (U-235) so they do not have weapons grade uranium or access to the highly advanced centrifuges 9and other equipment) needed to refine it further. In short, they cannot manufacture an atomic device with what they stole.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Damn you're fast. Posting my fail phone and was still editing it. See above.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Damn you're fast. Posting my fail phone and was still editing it. See above.

The only two countries in the vicinity with the capability to refine U-238 into U-235 are Israel and Iran.

Which one is going to let ISIS borrow their processing apparatus to produce enriched uranium?

Do not get me wrong, this is still bad but it is not a thermonuclear device waiting to detonate bad.

edit on 10-7-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer because his mug got filled with chemtrail residue

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

The world is their oyster. Money makes this world to round. They have lots of support & total access to the black market. Anything is possible.

Like I said, best case scenario is a dirty bomb, worst case is a nuke.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Honestly, I think ISIS is more concerned with the ME and taking and consolidating power there at the moment. They have a chance at place like Pakistan with real nukes. If they get that ... think of the possibilities. Until then, they need to continue their small scale roll in the ME, and if they get too big for their britches too fast, they risk getting squashed. No. This material won't be used anywhere except in the wider ME I think.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

The world is their oyster. Money makes this world to round. They have lots of support & total access to the black market. Anything is possible.
Like I said, best case scenario is a dirty bomb, worst case is a nuke.

You cannot buy these centrifuges on the black market without arousing suspicion, this is how we were aware that Iran was enriching uranium. Even if they were you would need to operate them for months to extract usable uranium-235. You need special gas-handling apparatus to convey the uranium hexafluoride.

And lastly, you need tons of uranium yellowcake to make one atomic device. One. They have 88lbs.

Please research how to make an atomic weapon as you seem to think it is a rather casual affair and easily achievable.

edit on 10-7-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: Bring back the Limelight

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I don't think they care about arousing anything but if you do indeed need tons of it then it's definitely safe to say they will make no nukes.

Lets just hope the don't continue to get their hands on anymore uranium.
edit on 10-7-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I don't think they care about arousing anything but if you do indeed need tons of it then it's definitely safe to say they will make no nukes.

Yeah, to get 5kg of enriched U-235 you need about 760kg of uranium-238 (1600-1700ibs).

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

That's good news. I wanted to do some actual research but it occurred to me I would only be a few searches away from being on the NSA's hit list.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Self fulfilling prophecy comes to mind.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

I know this is the most likely scenario dear, but something is very off about it. If he wanted people to follow him based on the extremist views of religion - then he should never have taken aid from any western government. But he did... this makes it off somehow.

I understand and know what your going to say, that he is going to take whatever and wherever to get power, which may still be possible, but he is doing this on religious basis and then taking money from his enemies?

Doesn't make sense.... not if he is going for caliphate.

Anyhoo, I still feel like there is something I am missing, or have overlooked. I totally respect your opinion though - and that was my very first reaction and thoughts. But the more I dig, the more something is off...
edit on 10-7-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

It's darn dirty though.... could make for a nasty nasty enemy.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

That's good news. I wanted to do some actual research but it occurred to me I would only be a few searches away from being on the NSA's hit list.

I figure I'm on it now. I have been reading all the jihadi publications and statements and feeds since "gomer" declared himself caliph and figure I'm definitely on a list now if I wasn't before...

But I wanted to know what they are saying to each other....I figure curiosity can win from time to time. F them if they don't realize some people just want to know what the heck some people are up to!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
get ready for a new 'terror alert' form the Penatagon or D.O.D.

It's only a matter of time until these newly acquired foreign assets are claimed to be on US soil.

Count on it.

... and quite likely they'l be used in the next step of emasculating this once great nation.

may we live in interesting times.... we sure do.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Thank god Obama pulled us out of there or we would have...ahhh...ummm...maybe not allowed them to get the radioactive materials?

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

It wasn't Obama, it was Bush who gave the troops their deadline to pull out. He worked on it with the newly formed Iraqi gov't. Although, Obama will be the first to take credit for pulling the troops out.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Thank god Obama pulled us out of there or we would have...ahhh...ummm...maybe not allowed them to get the radioactive materials?

Nah, the way the higher-up were running and mismanaging that Chinese fire drill, someone, somewhere, would have made us tie a bow on it before loading it into their truck for them.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
www.hrw.org...

What else is going on over there that is being expertly suppressed? The war on journalism is real.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join