It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you have your loved one's portrait painted from their ashes ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 07:10 AM
link   

An artist is offering to use the ashes of cremated spouses to paint their portraits as a lasting memorial.

Mike Smith hopes that he will be approached by bereaved people who would appreciate having a likeness of their loved one created from their mortal remains.

"Why not use a fraction of the ashes from an urn sitting on a mantelpiece for a portrait, so you can have that person physically there with you?" said Smith, 46, from Mary Tavy, Devon.

"Some people may think it is a macabre idea, but personally I do not think so, as long as the portrait is done with loving care," said Smith.

"Personally I cannot think of anything more macabre than being buried six feet under and eaten by worms," he said.

"I would have used the method to paint my father's portrait if I had thought of it when he died," he added.

He said he would spend at least a day talking with the family to get to know something of the deceased person before painting the portrait from a photograph.

www.smh.com.au...

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 07:34 AM
link   
There was an article in the paper ''Herald Sun'' a few weeks ago about some guy that made a ''gem'' stone ring out of his daughters ashes!

Pretty wierd.....

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 09:17 AM
link   
too weird for me.

On a related note, I am currently house shopping and toured a house that I was interested in. The folks selling it were still living there and still had all their furnishings, belongings, etc, there. Sitting on a small table was an urn w/ ashes of one of their family members. Seeing that just sort of grossed me out, guess I'm weird.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

I'm not sure. It's a very weird idea and I never thought about it.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I always wanted my ashes contained in art...but would have been happy with a really cool urn...seems my mind is changed... Great Idea!

A little creepy to many though, but not me....

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

I would of course respect the wishes of a loved one, but I myself wouldn't want to become a painting nor would I choose that for a loved one who didnt make it clear that they wanted to be remembered this way. I agree with UP, pretty weird.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
There was an article in the paper ''Herald Sun'' a few weeks ago about some guy that made a ''gem'' stone ring out of his daughters ashes!

Pretty wierd.....

A company based in suburban Elk Grove Village has accepted its first deposit for manufactured diamonds made from carbon captured during the cremation process so that loved ones--family members or even pets--could be mounted into a ring, pendant or other jewelry.

A small number of U.S. funeral homes, including four in the Chicago area, have signed up to offer memorial diamonds produced by Life Gem. The cost will depend on the size of the gem, starting at $4,000 for a quarter-carat.

www.chicagotribune.com...

LIFE GEM WEBSITE - click here

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Uhhh no. That would be too creepy.

top topics

join