It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Murder rates dropping as more states allow concealed weapons

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
A dramatic spike in the number of Americans with permits to carry concealed weapons coincides with an equally stark drop in violent crime, according to a new study, which Second Amendment advocates say makes the case that more guns can mean safer streets.

The study by the Crime Prevention Research Center found that 11.1 million Americans now have permits to carry concealed weapons, up from 4.5 million in 2007. The 146 percent increase has come even as both murder and violent crime rates have dropped by 22 percent.

Between 2007 and the preliminary estimates for 2013, murder rates have fallen from 5.6 to 4.4 per 100,000.
When criminals think THEY may become the victims they go after the 'softer targets'.
As much as anti-gun people want to admit, the statistics are showing drop in murder since states tired of the left attacking the constitution fight back!

Source PDF File ( Direct Download)
edit on 7/9/2014 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit-- Added source proper & tags for direct download. DO NOT edit staff actions.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: wulff

There is not enough to show that permits are contributing much if anything to the reduction of crime.

Doesnt mean the stat is worthless.

At the very least we can say that more permits and more people carrying has not lead to an increase in crime as so many anti's have promised us would be the case.

I'm still waiting for the streets to run with blood. Been waiting 30 years now. Got my hip waders and everything.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Makes perfect sense to me. I CC'd for years overseas in Africa, never a problem except when I was in actual conflict zones.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 7/9.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I live in MD, and the crime rate is pretty high in PG county. In my state it is exceptionally hard to get a carry permit. But if you go just a few miles away into VA the crime rate is lower, in VA its not hard to get a permit.

Because criminals will tell you that they would rather rob someone that they know isnt carrying a gun.
In Florida the crime rate is higher around the airports because criminals know people coming from the airport most likely don't have their gun with them.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Not everyone on the left is attacking gun ownership (or the constitution, wtf that is supposed to mean) but a lot of people do get caught up in propaganda on both sides of this issue.

From a leftist point of view, many of us are gun owners and have family and friends that are gun owners but where we differ from the right is in how we think of guns. Me personally, I think of a gun as a tool — it has uses for defense, hunting, sport shooting, etc.

When I see some yahoo deliberately trying to start a ruckus with open carry in places they know people aren't accustomed to seeing guns, let alone long guns, I roll my eyes. It just seems like a lot of people are lacking something that they feel they can make up for with a firearm. Owning a gun doesn't turn a jackass into a badass. It certainly doesn't turn the average idiot who doesn't want to pay taxes into a bona fide revolutionary either.

I'm not anti-gun, I'm anti-wingnut.
edit on 2014-7-9 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This makes perfect sense to any reasonable person. Criminals don't care about getting permits or any other legal means to carry a weapon. There simply are no reasons to create more laws that only affect law-abiding citizens.
edit on 2014/7/9 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for a national ccw honor law, where each state honors one anothers' permits.

I have trained and learned how to use my weapon in this state, what difference does it make if I travel an hour in any direction?

California permits are hard enough to get already....

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
This makes perfect sense to any reasonable person. Criminals don't care about getting permits or any other legal means to carry a weapon. There simply are no reasons to create more laws that only affect law-abiding citizens.

Everyone is a law-abiding citizen until they're not. That's why this sort of platitude isn't really effective for winning over converts.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I think open carry is an even better crime deterrent. I stopped at a store while passing through Arizona. At least half the people there had a sidearm. No one in their right mind would try to pull off a stick'em up there.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I think open carry is an even better crime deterrent. I stopped at a store while passing through Arizona. At least half the people there had a sidearm. No one in their right mind would try to pull off a stick'em up there.

I agree and cannot wait until New Jersey's draconian concealed carry laws get over turned. We are one of the last states that is a may issue and it is time that law went.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: Metallicus

Everyone is a law-abiding citizen until they're not. That's why this sort of platitude isn't really effective for winning over converts.

Our justice system provides that someone is innocent until proven guilty. You have your entire thought process backwards.
edit on 2014/7/9 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

what about something like a national/standardized conceal carry permit?

edit on 9-7-2014 by NonsensicalUserName because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

The criminals have to now think twice before they try and stick up that little old lady. Robbery used to be a "gimme or else" situation.

Now? No one knows who's carrying or not. And they are thinking it through before they try the crime.

MS

Licensed CPL/CCW

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: NonsensicalUserName

That's essentially what would end up happening. The only problem I see with it is the Feds trying to make it so expensive not as many people apply for it.

That's why I like Utah's ccw permit. About $80 to apply including classes and backgrounds, and $10 every couple years to renew!

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I have my CHL here in Texas and I do carry every single day wherever it is legal to do so. I am not a big fan of open carry. I am not opposed to it I just don't feel the need to open carry. I would prefer any potential criminal not know I am carrying simply to keep me from being the first one shot at the gas station or whatever. If I was a criminal I would shoot the open carry guy first during my crime knowing he is the main obstacle. Just my thoughts, like I said I am not opposed to open carry at all, it is just not my first choice. I am actually a little surprised Texas does not have open carry. Down here if you kill somebody we kill you back!

Carry on....(see what I did there? CARRY ON!) I am good like that!

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

I had an addition to that post, didn't want to get it flamed and ignored, but would you object to requiring ccw permits, or at least some heavier screening as a pre-req. of owning various classes of pistol?; obviously I'm not sure about the specifics exactly, in my view it's legal under the Heller v. DC ruling

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

In an open carry state, you know who is and who is not carrying. Easy for criminals to choose their targets.

In a concealed carry state you have no clue. I live in Dallas and I can honestly say I have never seen anyone actually carrying. You know dammed well that there are people carrying though.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

That's what I wonder because it seems that it is a proper deterrent. A main argument I heard against open carry is that the potential attacker might attack first or try to take the weapon away? Waiting on an up to date to study comparing open and concealed, or if there's already one for sharing.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677
Don't most states that have open carry, also issue CCW as well? Kinda muddies the water I think, and would make you think twice, if you think that is. A lot of criminals don't think very much, they are impulse driven fools. If a criminal walk into a place about to rob it, and there is one guy or lady with a gun on their hip, they might disable them as their first act of aggression sure. But if they walk into a place and see 12 people, and 3 are openly armed, the other ones might be conceal carrying, if they have the ability of thought, I am sure they would mosey on to a different place to try and rob.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Great post & the studies usually show similar results over
the years.

Rebel 5

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join