It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That song that's stuck in your head: the psychology of music

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
They do know that people respond to certain notes or a collection of notes more favorably. They know exactly what they are doing when they write a jingle for an advertisement. I saw a study once on the effects of the 3 notes that the t.v. stations ABC, CBS and NBC use. They designed those specifically because of the effects they had on people.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
Tiny tim "Tiptoe through the tulips" never listen to it,its as bad as Culture club..who MADE me feel like hurting them.

As retaliation for mentioning Tiptoe Through The Tulips and making me repeat it ad nauseam, here -- this one's for you. Don't make me post Tony Basil's Mickey. That's the ear worm from Hell

Actually, no, here's Mickey anyway. Because after I let Karma Chameleon play out, then backtracked to Tiny Tim. I hate you.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   
My song is Dream Theater's A Change Of Seasons. Funny thing about that song, it's long. Lots of parts. I may have some instrumental part of that one, a vocal line, whatever, stuck up there wiggling it's way around my brain and it might take me a while to figure it out.

It's the songs that aren't that one that throw me for a loop. I had another DT song in my head but it was only a small bit. Drove me nuts for a couple of motnhs. I knew where the song went after that little tidbit but couldn't find the notes in my head. Having a ten second clip running through your head for months is fun, I tell you.

That's my life, always a tune in my head. Now if I could only write my own music, I'd be a hoopy frood.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MRM13

For many weeks I have had this stuck in my head: "Mastadge Drag" from the Stargate soundtrack. Go figure.

Mind you, it helps that somehow I have the ability to recall the sound of an orchestra perfectly in my head, so I can take my soundtrack collection with me wherever I am ^_^

edit on 10/7/2014 by dogsounds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I'd make a new thread to post this but I can't yet. Enjoy.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 12-7-2014 by PraiseTheHighestOne because: Better link

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Met the guy this songs about in 1998 in Lithuania,loves Ravens.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I get dumb songs from years ago stuck in my head. No idea why. The Other day it was if I had a hammer. 🔨🔨🔨🔨
That somehow morphed into hush little baby don't say a word

Today it's Boemian Rhapsody by queen
That started when someone said it's thundering and lightening in a text. I texted back very very frightening. Now I cannot get that out of my head!! Mamma Mia mamma Mia

Oh great, now I have we're all going on a summer holiday by cliff Richard. How lame.

See, they just pop into my head for no reason except the queen one lol magnifico oh oh oh.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I'm not even reading the other posts. Made the mistake of reading one about tiptoe thru the freaking tulips. Horrible song. As is Mickey. Saw that too. 🔨🔨🔨

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: PraiseTheHighestOne

I'm scared to find out what it is no preview or title.
Will it drive me mental ??

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Wow thanks so much for your reply. That's really interesting!

Yeah that sounds like the kind of effect that I'm thinking of, I just don't know enough about music to know exactly how they do it in terms of chords and stuff.

Thank you

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I sort of like to look at things in a psychological way due to my current studies. It's interesting that a lot of the songs that people mentioned are the same. I worked in an '80's bar a while back so I'm sure you can imagine all the ear worms that followed me throughout the week - Mickey and karma chameleon are nothing compared to wake me up by wham or damned dirty dancing soundtrack megamix!

I got as far as the mere exposure effect which can create a preference through repetition, but that doesn't explain why old songs that you haven't heard for ages seem to pop into your head from nowhere.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Music can have subliminal effects on behaviour, for example at night clubs when djs cleverly play certain songs to encourage people to go to buy drinks. I also read about how shops, in particular supermarkets, use not only music but layouts, smells etc to manipulate behaviour. I'll see if I can find the article about it.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I mostly get the actual music stuck in head, rather than lyrics. I'm a guitarist so certain rhythms and melodies catch me and repeat over and over in my head. Sometimes for hours or even days on end.
My current head sticker is this:

edit on 25-7-2014 by GroundZero because: Bad link

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Got this in my head for almost 3 months...it motivates me and i dont know why
www.youtube.com...
edit on 20/04/1998 by PaulTheDuke because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join