It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jedi religion founder accuses Tesco of discrimination over rules on hoods

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This is the first thread I've created in this forum and generally stay out of most of these discussions simply because faith seems to be in the mind of the believer. I don't believe in any religion but do believe if another person claims a certain faith that's their decision. In this case it looks to me that a large private company is making the determination of which religions are approved of and which are not. You decide.

Jedi religion founder accuses Tesco of discrimination over rules on hoods

Tesco has been accused of religious discrimination after the company ordered the founder of a Jedi religion to remove his hood or leave a branch of the supermarket in north Wales.

Daniel Jones, founder of the religion inspired by the Star Wars films, says he was humiliated and victimised for his beliefs following the incident at a Tesco store in Bangor.

The 23-year-old, who founded the International Church of Jediism, which has 500,000 followers worldwide, was told the hood flouted store rules.

Hmm so followers of Jediism cannot wear hoods in the store. Can Muslim women shop while covered? Honest question I don't know what the stance in the UK is about that but I heard recently France outlawed face covering.

But the grocery empire struck back, claiming that the three best known Jedi Knights in the Star Wars movies – Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker – all appeared in public without their hoods.

So Tesco makes an observation from the outside the religion about the Jedi and arbitrarily sets the rule against hoods. If the Pope shows up in one of those giant hats will they allow that?

Seems ridiculous to me. Or is this some underhanded corporate organized push against the Jedi and freedom of religion? Who gets to pick?

Edit - Mods this is a few years old but it popped up on the radar again. If it's been beaten to death I didn't see it. Delete or close if needed.

edit on 770pm5555pm122014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
But if they wear hoods how will the facial recognition systems know who they are?

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

Jediism has no actual rules on attire.

Mr. Jones has no case.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Guess he'll just have to wait for his religion to become .more mainstream. I'm a Wiccan but I leave my athame at home even if I'm performing a rirtual outdoors because to anyone else it's a weapon not a sacred tool. In some parks I can't even light a candle. And Wicca is way more mainstream then Jedism. Anyway, May the force be with you.
edit on PMu31u0772839312014-07-09T12:39:11-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Oh are you a Jedi? You've studied this? Who was your master?

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Lol, no I am not a Jedi. I am, however, aware of Jediism and the 21 Maxims.

Also, for the record, Mr. Jones is not a founder.
edit on 9-7-2014 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Also Jediism is not a genuine religion.
This is a fake issue with contrived indignation.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Don't worry those aren't the droids you're looking for anyway. a reply to: VoidHawk

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Says you. It's not your religion. a reply to: DISRAELI

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Jediism's religious status is as open to debate as Christianity or Islam, or any other religion, as far as I am concerned.

My beef is with Mr. Jones claiming that he is being discriminated against for a dress code violation, when there is no dress code for anybody to discriminate against.

If he wishes to feign outrage, he could at least have been up to speed on HIS OWN RELIGION.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Lol, no I am not a Jedi. I am, however, aware of Jediism and the 21 Maxims.

Also, for the record, Mr. Jones is not a founder.
you're right. That would be George Lucas.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Here is Mr. Jones, in 2011, trying to drum up awareness for Jediism.

Note what is missing.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Why didn't the dude just force choke them into submission? Or maybe a little "this is the spiritual accommodation you will grant us..." *finger wave*

Just sayin'. It would have appeared a lot more legitimate. Not to mention if your kid works there and happens to be named Luke.

edit on 9-7-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Also Jediism is not a genuine religion.

Say who?

As a registered Sith I find that offensive

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Jedism is just as real as Scientology.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
Jedism is just as real as Scientology.

Or Dudeism.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Nope

Though depending of if your following the old doctrine or Luke Skywalker doctrine you cant ever get laid.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
Why didn't the dude just force choke them into submission? Or maybe a little "this is the spiritual accommodation you will grant us..." *finger wave*

Just sayin'. It would have appeared a lot more legitimate. Not to mention if your kid works there and happens to be named Luke.

A true follower of the jedi would never use a force choke. That is of the dark side

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Nope

Though depending of if your following the old doctrine or Luke Skywalker doctrine you cant ever get laid.

Something tells me he's got the not getting laid part down pat.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

a reply to: Bassago

Mr. Jones has no case.

He has a case as strong as any other religion that is allowed to wear something that covers their heads. Why would one be favoured more than the other(?)

Jediism has just this second become cool as #. Look, you can buy a Cloak Maker

He said he'd gone to the store to buy something to eat during his lunch break when staff approached him and ordered him to the checkout where they explained he would have to remove the offending hood or leave the store.

Source

Sorry but anybody who walks through Tesco with this on, in fact wearing this anywhere just as casually as I put on a Tshirt - They are a legend and deserve to be able to wear them

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join