It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive School of Anchovies Looks Like Oil Slick

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Link

A massive school of anchovies appeared near Scripps Pier in La Jolla, California. The article says that it's been over 30 years since something like this happened.

I thought this was interesting and thought people here would enjoy it

At the link there's a video, they took a camera under water and you can see them swimming around.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Thanks - that is impressive.
Now - if they would only make waterproof pizzas...

Thought I'd show a couple of the pictures from the linked article...

ATS Big Pic

ATS Big Pic

edit on 7/9/2014 by WanDash because: Add a pic 'r two

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It was the one million anchovies march against Dominoes.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Now thats a lot of pizzas worth of tasty fish!!!!!

What? no one else was thinking that?

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
It was the one million anchovies march against Dominoes.
don't you hate it when fish get politically motivated ?
See ya there's a Cesar salad in the kitchen calling my name.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
YUM !!!

Back before I came down with autoimmune and had to curb my diet, I used to love anchovies. Especially in my anti-pasta salads and on pizza. Seriously good stuff. MMMMM .... (man I miss food!)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

When i was young i hated anchovies, like they were satans amuse-bouche.

Then my pallet started to understand more complex flavors and textures.

Now i could eat a few right out of a can, let alone smother a pizza or pasta with them

Those delicious little bastards grew on me very rapidly, i think some of my aversion as a child may have been due to the fact that anchovy fillets look like sliced slug

Im over that now, and could not be more happy.

mmmmmmmmm anchovy's in olive oil *homer style drool*

edit on b09091245 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: invisiblemanda

Wow, thanks for sharing! S&F

I find it especially significant in light of another article I bumped into today:

World's first commercial scale ocean pasture restoration a phenomenal success - It won't be the last

If we could restore and replenish their vital nursery pasture the baby salmon would survive and thrive. Mother Nature had already shown us this worked when she dusted the region with mineral rich volcanic ash from the Kasatochi Volcano in August of 2008. The blooms that followed made it clear that this part of the world’s ocean are deprived of vital mineral micronutrients...

...In my experimental design I knew I could not produce an effect that would compare in size to the volcano. But we could be smarter than a dumb volcano. I could prescribe and administer exactly the right mineral micronutrients in exactly the right place at exactly the right time. All it would take would be me and 11 shipmates on one solitary fishing boat with a load of iron bearing dust. Along with a fantastic collection of our “state of the art” of ocean science tools of the trade....

...When the salmon who lived in our restored and revived ocean pasture started swimming home in 2013 we were overwhelmed with reports of their numbers. Hundreds of millions of additional salmon over and above the numbers predicted by conventional fisheries science swam back to us with a second treasure trove of delicious data.

The Fish Came Back To Alaska In 2013
The SE Alaska Pink catch in the fall of 2013 was a stunning 226.3 million fish. This when a high number of 50 million fish were expected. Those extra ocean pasture fed fish came back because their pasture was enjoying the richest plankton blooms ever, thanks to me a 11 shipmates and our work in the summer of 2012. IT JUST WORKS!

Apperently we simply need to induce algal blooms targeting specific areas at the correct timing, and we can restore the fishing populations of the ocean.

Now I wonder if this anchovy run might be an indirect consequence of the experiment mentioned in the article...

The Scripps Marine Vertebrate Collection collected specimens so they could be studied, but Hastings told CNS that he doubted the mystery of the baitfish’s appearance along the shore would ever be solved.

Solved???

edit on 9/7/14 by PadawanGandalf because: picfix

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Well, the sea is obviously a bit more healthy than they'd have us believe! or will they blame it on global warming!

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: invisiblemanda

The title for this should be: "Massive school of anchovies looks like lunch!"

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
That's cool. The video in the link didn't work for me

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
That's cool. The video in the link didn't work for me

top topics

join