It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it stupid if you love plants?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I'm considering selling my house which is surrounded by many beautiful plants. Over the years I have become familiar with every single one of them. They need water when the dry season is there. They need to be controlled so that one plant doesn't kill another. They need nutrients.

Strangely, I worry about these plants if I leave this property. If another plant lover buys this property, then no problem. But many people couldn't care less about plants.

Am I crazy to love the plants that I have supported for over ten years? When I say I love these plants I am saying I care that they are able to live.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Na your not crazy, you cared for those plants for years, only natural to have some sort of attachment.
Hope they get card for when you're gone

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
It's like anything in life... If you put time and effort into something to care for and nurture it you will of course be worried about its eventual outcome.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I don't think its stupid... I love my plants! I've had the same thoughts, that after fifteen years of gardening here it would torture me to have to move, because I'd worry about them. Not only all the plants I came to know and many, many I planted myself but my dogs are all buried here so its huge for me. I'm not planning on moving but I so understand. I've even thought to put it in my will that the kids need to advertise our place for sale in gardening magazines first... if that's even possible.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I had to move out of my house in Austin after living there for over a decade...failed relationship. I had a gorgeous succulent garden, a koi pond with a nice array of aquatic plants, and a vegetable garden. Not to mention the grand oak tree I put countless hours into manicuring. I was more sad about leaving my plants than the woman.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I think you can care about your plants but if it ultimately gets in the way of your life and keeps you from moving then it is a problem.

I assume you are moving for a good reason (job, family, love, financial reasons...)

If plants stand in the way of progress in your life I would really think on it.
edit on 9-7-2014 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Not at all! At one home I lived in as a kid, we had several FL pines & several fruit trees -- oranges, grapefruit, lemon, mulberry. My mom spent a ton of time tenderly caring for the trees over the years, and they had great yields. When we had to move, we thought it was going to be a huge perk (free fruit!!) for the new owner and were sure they'd love them forever!

Nope, when we drove by some years later to see how much they'd grown, we discovered to our horror that the buyers cut them all down. ALL of them. She was very angry, and I cried. I spent years hauling books up in the trees to perch on branches to read them, that really stung to see hideous stumps where glorious fruit trees used to be.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Yes, the plants can't keep me from staying or going, but I don't want to ignore them since they have been a real part of my life for over ten years. I hope they are taken care of.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Plants are people too.

You should read The Secret Life Of Plants by Christopher Bird and Peter Tompkins. Amazing book. It opened my eyes to some things I never imagined possible. You'll never look at a plant the same.

I had a blue for that I bought at a grocery store on Christmas. It just looked lonely. I cared for it and kept it in a planter on my apartment porch for a couple years. When the time came to move the tree was so big that I couldn't move it without heavy equipment. I had to leave it for the next tenant. Broke my heart.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Can you take some with you?

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
My wife and I felt bad when part of the really old and pretty oak tree in back broke off about a month ago. We are planning to have a cremation for it. I have to cut it and split it, the wood cookstove doesn't take it in big chunks.

I have been mowing the grass lately, something I usually don't do with the riding mower or lawnmower. We usually can't mow it that way, only with a weed eater. Lots of bees and frogs to get hurt. Lots of dandilions, plantain, and yarrow in the yard. Since I have been mowing, the automatic lawnmowers haven't been coming around either, I guess the deer are a little mad at me.

Getting attached to the plants is not being crazy. I water the trees around the yard if it is dry. I water the weeds. Grass is not the only good ground cover.
edit on 9-7-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Mornin',

The only problem with loving plants happens to be the same problem with loving people.
They never call you on the day after...

-Peace-

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Great idea! And if they are too large, maybe you can take clippings from multiple plants and restart them in your new place (depending of course on if the plants do well from clippings).

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
I'm considering selling my house which is surrounded by many beautiful plants. Over the years I have become familiar with every single one of them. They need water when the dry season is there. They need to be controlled so that one plant doesn't kill another. They need nutrients.

Strangely, I worry about these plants if I leave this property. If another plant lover buys this property, then no problem. But many people couldn't care less about plants.

Am I crazy to love the plants that I have supported for over ten years? When I say I love these plants I am saying I care that they are able to live.

Its stupid if you don't love plants and flowers.

Nature is God voice speaking to us.

I wish I could find my natural side that hears nature speak but all the noise of technology is deafening so I really enjoy reading your thread as it reminds me to wake up to the alarm thats been ringing for quite some time.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
No I don't think it strange. I still feel a little pang of longing when I think back to the tiny garden I loved and nurtured and sold up over 10 years ago (of course I didn't sell only the garden, but also the house attached to it!).

I do wonder if the people who moved in appreciated and enjoyed the little space as much as I did. I still get angry at a friend who visited me for a couple of weeks and to 'help out' by pulling up all the plants she thought were weeds simply because she didn't know or like them! Our friendship survived but how could I still be annoyed with her 11 years later for her misguided good intentions if I didn't love my plants?

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Nope. It's not the least bit stupid. I talk to the plants in my garden. I talk to my pole beans like they children and then I caught myself. My wife thought it was funny. They are growing so nicely. I'll have mucho pole beans this year, not to mention everything else. Talk away, I say!

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
No your good not stupid, I have a plumeria that is 15 years old and when I moved to Arizona I was torn because it was too large to transport and I didn't trust anyone to care for it so I cut it up into 8 pieces and dried them out and replanted the cuttings now I have 8 large babies that I can enjoy year round.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I do not think so, I have always had houseplants that I cared for. It is completely understandable, they are afterall living and every living thing deserves and most likely wants love.

I do not want to move from my house because I am attached to my trees. I do not know why since they maintain themselves, but I just love my trees. I am attached to one in particular, my husband said not too long ago that he wants to move from the house we are renting I told him I love my tree and I do not want to leave it, he said if we bought this house he would cut it down and create a larger deck...... I made it clear that under no circumstances would that happen, he came to senses quickly.

I have always liked trees, not too sure I believe in a past life but maybe I was a tree.

When Sandy came through here it took out many of the trees around my house, one of them was gigantic and had it hit us we would have likely died, at least the back room would have been taken out. I went outside that day when the storm was just coming in and I pleaded with them to stay strong but if they must fall to please do so away from the house, one by one they came down around the house like dominoes but each one just missed the house, and that big one broke in half instead of falling on my daughters room. I miss it, and maybe it is stupid to talk to them and believe they understand but I just don't care what others think on that account.

People ask that question "what if you were the last person on earth, could you take it"? I think, I would deeply miss humans especially my family, but as long as the trees were here to keep me company i'd never really be alone.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: mwood
I think you can care about your plants but if it ultimately gets in the way of your life and keeps you from moving then it is a problem.

^^ Yeah that. If it gets in the way of you functioning ... then it's a problem. People come and go. Plants come and go. Live moves on. Make sure you are able to as well.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

AWWWWWW ... that's so sweet! And that's a good idea. The OP can leave plants and take clippings along to the new home. (as long as the new home can handle the new plants).

new topics

top topics

join