It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use or Look at Online Privacy Tools? NSA Labels You an ‘Extremist’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
www.thedailybeast.com...

Online privacy tools like Tor have become incredibly popular in the wake of Edward Snowden’s surveillance revelations. But according to an analysis of leaked source code from the National Security Agency, using or merely searching for information about those tools is enough to label someone an “extremist” in the eyes of the National Security Agency.

It sure doesn't take much for this US gov't to label you an extremist.

Want your privacy? You're an extremist! How dare you not let this gov't spy on you! What are you hiding!!!!

I thought it was bad enough when this gov't labeled returning vets as possible terror suspects.

Napolitano stands by controversial report

April 16, 2009

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Wednesday that she was briefed before the release of a controversial intelligence assessment and that she stands by the report, which lists returning veterans among terrorist risks to the U.S.

But the top House Democrat with oversight of the Department of Homeland Security said in a letter to Ms. Napolitano that he was “dumbfounded” that such a report would be issued.

“This report appears to raise significant issues involving the privacy and civil liberties of many Americans - including war veterans,” said Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, in his letter sent Tuesday night.
The letter was representative of a public furor over the nine-page document since its existence was reported in The Washington Times on Tuesday.

But, nothing easier than to broadly label everyone as extremist as someone who wants their privacy.

In NSA-intercepted data, those not targeted far outnumber the foreigners who are

Ordinary Internet users, American and non-American alike, far outnumber legally targeted foreigners in the communications intercepted by the National Security Agency from U.S. digital networks, according to a four-month investigation by The Washington Post.

edit on 8-7-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Second time posted in a couple of days!

I think its BS trying to scare people.

My Privacy is my right, I'll use whatever I want when I want.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It seems like if a person uses the internet for anything more than social media, following your favorite news outlets,, sports and other recreational activities they are an extremist. Literally anyone who uses the internet for any kind of research and information gathering is on their radar.

The world wide web is not the web of uncensored and uncontrolled information anymore. The flow of media does appear to have controls and once great search engines like google now only show us what they want us to buy and want they want us to know.

The world wide web has fallen to the oligarchy and now they fear the new age of world wide communications.

Privacy is still a right!

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Well I do think it's a well known thing. The more encryptions, etc. you have the more they(NSA, etc) want to know what's behind them. Shouldn't stop anyone from privacy measures, don't let them rule over you.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills
What really sucks is that the report calls "returning veterans among terrorist risks". By their account, most Americans are extremists for expecting privacy and the ones that put their life on the line for the country are terrorist risks.

Way to go DHS, you've identified the enemy! It is us!

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
If every internet user in the world were to look at privacy tools....then what? Would the nsa label the entire worlds population as "Extremists"?
Would that not then make the nsa the ENEMY!

Google uses httpS. Its purpose is privacy, who uses google?

edit on 8-7-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
America doesn't have a government anymore,you are prisoners and you have wardens. I'd feel sorry for you but then I remember...You were always a nation of firsts, the rest of the world caught up! Now, when I see what you're going through, I realize it will be our turn soon!

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
A government agency that spies on anyone and everyone it wants to without a warrant or legitimate reason and that's not extreme.

Wanting to protect you own personal privacy is an example of being extreme.

The world sure has become bass akwards....

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

Google is all about privacy!

My emails are safe with them because of https.......

This thread grabbed my attention because just the other day I was researching a secure email provider.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Proudly use tools to protect my privacy from the busybodies at the nsa and related bottomfeeders of the world..

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Cyberspace is a relatively new environment for Earth and there are lots of threats out there, identity fraud, hacking, scams, stalkers and so on. If the NSA could provide a software solution that would indemnify and protect me should I get hacked, scammed, crashed, stolen or abused then I would give it some consideration.

In the mean time the world is a dangerous place and the population taking proactive steps to ensure their own protection is in the national interest.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

But Google will hand over your search history to government agencies, ( and to anybody el$e who want$ that info ),
so httpS does not keep your search history from government agencies.
[ I believe StartPage search engine does not keep such records so cannot oblige ].

Like Google , Microsoft will cooperate with government agencies, but if you are a Linux user your computer isn't phoning-home to microsoft, so you're due for extra surveillance ... linuxjournal.com/content/nsa-linux-journal-extremist-forum-and-its-readers-get-flagged-extra-surveillance.[edit by]edit on 9-7-2014 by engvbany because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Oh if you want to read that "linuxjournal.com" article without being tagged as an extremist, use a proxy like StartPage ... startpage.com...
edit on 9-7-2014 by engvbany because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: engvbany

But Google will hand over your search history to government agencies, ( and to anybody el$e who want$ that info ),

Agreed, much of what travels via https is then stored unencrypted, it has to be because google makes money by targeted advertising and it couldn't do that if everything was encrypted.
My point about https however was because of the claim that anyone using encryption would be labeled as an extremist , therefore; anyone using google is an extremist

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Everybody is guilty until you can prove to the state you are innocent.

It has been this way for a very long time now.

God forbid they ever find out you're wearing a hoodie while using Duck Duck Go. The feds will beat you to a pulp.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I pay my internet provider for the services they provide.

One of those services is locking snoops/perverts/stalkers out via privacy settings...

When I pay my taxes, I expect them to go toward the betterment of our society.

Don't ask for my handout unless you apply it to the betterment of our society.
edit on (7/9/1414 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
you guys are funny...thinking you can hide from the NSA....from an old computer guy, believe it when I say, "what can be written, can be read".....it may take longer to decode, but, it's just a matter of time....the only way your information is safe, is by using a closed system.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Using proxys is one way to 'hide.'

Funny that those who use proxys and other security features get their attention. It is also funny that some think the NSA is all powerful that has super technology that the lay person has never heard of. NSA can not break all encryption and can not control or even monitor most of the web.

Tor and friends bothers them because they have no controls and very little they can do to monitor those data streams.
edit on 9-7-2014 by jrod because: 101101

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
... believe it when I say, "what can be written, can be read".....it may take longer to decode, but, it's just a matter of time....

True, but that time can be longer than the lifetime of the Sun ... www.grc.com...

If all encryption could be cracked why are key disclosure laws necessary ?.

edit on 9-7-2014 by engvbany because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

join