It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2nd.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Certainly I am not alone, or am I the only one that is annoyed by people installing a "2nd" for a second line of content instead of elaborating just a little bit on what it is they are replying with? I am not annoyed by 1 line posts, to the contrary I would rather see 1 line of quality than a second line of drivel. It is just the lazy attempt to meet posting criteria by adding the "2nd" that drives me crazy.

For those of you who do this, do you think a mod will see that and think "oh well, they say they have a second line so it must be there"? If you are conscious about how much you are typing then surely you could type a little bit more if you are afraid of having your post deleted couldn't you? I highly doubt any mods actually enforce that rule unless you are going around blowing up each thread with 3 word posts or something, I certainly have never had a post removed for 1 line over almost 8 years of posting. I am not sure why it bothers me, I think that it is the attempt to skirt the policy with such a poor excuse for a second line. From now on, just leave it out and post your original thought without the "2nd", you will be fine I can almost promise you

Mod, any comment on this? I imagine it annoys you too sometimes. I mean it can't possibly factor in on your decision if you are in fact deciding on whether or not to slash a post for only having 1 line can it? I would think if anything it would make me want to remove your post when I wouldn't normally just because it is so annoying.

You aren't fooling anyone you 2nder's!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The reason why they put 2nd is because the rules state you have to write at least a two sentence response. They frown on one line responses.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
The reason why they put 2nd is because the rules state you have to write at least a two sentence response. They frown on one line responses.

Why would you think that?

We don't actually. A 1 line response is OK if it adds to the topic. Like that question there.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
First line

Is this better?

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I 2nd that response!

ETA: Personally for me it's not always easy to ramble with a subject, brevity is far more efficient as long as you get your point across and no I don't think I've ever been censoredo for a single line response as far as I know.
edit on 7/8/2014 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Yes, I know this. It should have been apparent in my post that I was aware of this. Of course they are doing it for a reason, it isn't for fun.

In the end it is still a 1 line response, but for some reason people believe typing "2nd" makes it a 2 line response. Sometimes they even type it on the first line, which makes it even more pointless.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The super Mod has spoken, one line is ok if it is relevant.

2nd.

(haha couldn't resist)
edit on 8-7-2014 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
I was always under the impression and could swear mods had stated this before that one line posts were a nogo, then I made a thread about such and a mod said what you just did.
3rd.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

2nd !!

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: g146541

Content, not the size of the post is what matters. What we don't look at favorably is posts like, "Right." "What he said". That's what the stars are for. Conversely have you not read a post that took 2 minutes and thought...."What?" If asked a direct question is not a single word relevant?

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The difference it makes, and what Intrepid has already reinforced, is that it is wholly unnecessary as long as your first line isn't utter garbage. It is just annoying to me that people doing it thinking they are somehow tricking the system. Especially when they put it on the first line anyway.

And of course all of the "2nd"s in this thread were expected, and of course appreciated. This isn't that serious of a topic, and humor is always welcomed.

For the context of this thread, I think your post is a prime example of what they don't want to see, and what I am complaining about. I am not complaining about your post in particular, because it is in regards to the topic but just posting a picture, or a couple words and then a "2nd" is what this is about. I imagine you are being clever in doing exactly what is not welcomed, but if you went around doing that in every thread you certainly wouldn't think of it as adding to the discussion would you?
edit on 7/8/2014 by sputniksteve because: Pointing out how clever Xuenchen is

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I always wondered what that 2nd was for in posts. I just thought it was some weird ATS internet lingo.

Learn something new everyday.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Yes I posted as a joke.

And I agree that the "2nd" thing is annoying indeed.

It's almost like people are afraid of something?

What I don't know.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Probably mostly newbies. I remember doing it myself a few times but then I found a thread written by a mod who stated much the same as Intrepid above.
One liners are often more effective than a page of drivel.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Is this thread your attempt at getting brownie points with mods or something?

2nd

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

2nd. Nice rant!

Used to drive me bonkers when I was a lurker. After I opened an account, not so much so. I will admit I threw it up there in protest (i.e. like I did above) a couple of times.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

Yes, I am hoping I can now post what ever I want because I have stopped the plague of 2nd's on ATS. Now that you have pointed it out you have probably foiled my plan. Thanks.

a reply to: xuenchen

Thank god, I knew you had been here too long to not get it, but I have to admit at first your post went over my head. It wasn't until I replied to you that I realized how damn clever it actually was.

Watch this guy over here!
edit on 7/8/2014 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

top topics

join