It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just bought a drone Erm..UAV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Drone is such a nasty nasty word. Used too much by the media to fear monger. I think the hobby enthusiasts and commercial businesses prefer the term UAV. I'm tired of being a contractor waiting months for payments, fast or feast scenarios, downtime... So I bought myself a new 'toy' and am planning to get into the aerial photography biz. Been reading and reading and ....transport canada's red tape, regulations, licensing...very daunting but not onerous. I really think once the public begins to simmer down regarding these things, the industry is going to explode. I want to be in the front row when it happens and not be late to the feast. Make a name for myself now before everyone else gets on board. In 2007 only 6 permits were issued by Transport Canada to use these for commercial purposes in my province. Last year,178. All of Canada? 900
Nuff said.

Wish me luck.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Nice purchase FS. Best wishes with your new venture and I hope it turns into a profitable one. If you get some work in the Kingston area give me a shout I'd love to checkit out.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo
My wife wants one- mostly for scenic photography, I.e., following rivers. We have a lot of rc plane clubs in this area.
I'm happy for you. It looks fun.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Thats a Phantom! Is that the one you bought? Nice bit of kit if so. I know what you mean about the "drone" terminology but i think "quadcopter" or "multirotor" is about as public friendly a term as ive heard so far.

I fly rc helicopters and quads and love the hobby. I can see why people might be getting a bit up tight about it though. You can buy a fpv Hubsan x4 for not a lot of money and i dont think it will be long before we're hearing reports on the news about them hovering outside peoples windows for example. I really hope they dont end up licensed though.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: helldiver

Unfortunately, or fortunately which ever way you look at it, TC has been busy trying to nail down the regulations. i just read last night that certification and licensing is in the works 2014-2015. On one hand a major pain in the ass. On the other hand, a way to keep the irresponsible people from saturating the market. As for their current regulations? 2008. GPS technology has come along way. And YES, it's Phantom 2 vision plus with the GoPro and motorized gimble. 25 min battery life. Yeeehaw!

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

I maybe doing a lot of traveling so who knows? I also have family in Kingston too.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

25 mins batt life?!! Thats incredible! Is that with the gopro installed?

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: helldiver

Yes sir.

And bought a second battery to go with it.

edit on 8-7-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I see. Looks like i'll be selling by girlfriends car in the morning then!

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo

I maybe doing a lot of traveling so who knows? I also have family in Kingston too.

Too cool I'm in Gananoque great place to get some amazing birdseyes of the thousand islands. Hey there ya go some tourism promos, sounds like a good income opportunity.

Drop a line if you get down here we can go pub hopping. I'll Pm my contact info if you're interested.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Well, other companies I've been researching travel globally. I'm pretty confident there is a high demand. However, it will be some time yet before I can even consider this. As it stands, TC requires an application for every flight at min 20 days in advance. Not very practical. They do issue 'blanket' SFOCs but only after you've proved yourself. Going to be doing a lot of practicing.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo

Well, other companies I've been researching travel globally. I'm pretty confident there is a high demand. However, it will be some time yet before I can even consider this. As it stands, TC requires an application for every flight at min 20 days in advance. Not very practical. They do issue 'blanket' SFOCs but only after you've proved yourself. Going to be doing a lot of practicing.

Well wishing you the best FlySolo I realise the gov. don't make it easy for the small business guy to make a go of it but I'm confident you have a winner on your hands. Sure I can bunk you up if you need some accomodations down this way. Let us know how it's going and post some vids for us it would be bitchin to see this puppy in action. I also have family on the left coast so we might hook up somewhere.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Ive just bought a new anti-drone erm.. uav defense system to protect my airspace .

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888
Haha funny

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Thanks kindly for the offer. I'll definitely keep it in mind. Order should be here in 3-5 days. I'll be out and about honing my skills and be back with the results. (Staying away from the ocean)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Now watch all your neighbors say youre a government spy flying "drones". Good luck though. LIke this helicopter below, the filming turns out really cool ! MS

This one at around $27 turns out some great footage. Imagine what yours...a much better quality unit can do! When you get some...show us some of your work!

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I'd like to see the results.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Good Luck!

You will be sharing some cool photos with us all in the future I hope!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Here's a little area I've been flying my toy. A view of Burnaby, BC to the left and New Westminster on the right with the mountains in the back.

edit on 4-8-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

top topics

join