It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Nukes Keep Finding Trouble: They're Really Old!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Wasn't sure what form to post this in...Mods feel free to move it.

Well I find this some what alarming. Say that one day some has the guts to press the button.
Would the they all work?
What if the made it of the silo ,go up a few thousand feet and com right back down?
Or could they blow up in the silo?
Thoughts?

www.military.com...
edit on 8-7-2014 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
ive always kind of wondered about this myself...its kind of like after you put a gun back together you do a functions check to make sure you did everything right, but I have still had malfunctions for various reasons I'm sure out of a 100 a few wouldnt fire I would have something go wrong with them....Look even at space shuttles that have blown up which go through many checks im assuming...

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Caught thisarticle over at mil.com this morning. Makes youwonder what would happen should god forbid they actually had to use them. Some posters said they are a much needed deterrent but really one sub is more of a deterrent than some cold war relics sitting in a field in Wyoming I would think.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Kukri
I agree with you %100, being we have like 50 or more subs and they are still building more im my state.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I wouldn't launch them under any circumstances. As a human being I am totally opposed to nuclear weapons.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
So am I but there's that one Nut!
I know for a fact that my entire state would be history.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954
I'd guess it all boils down to maintenance and regular systems checks, so as a previous poster said, it's the sub's that are in regular maintained 'active' service so I imagine they would be way more reliable than any missile sat for years underground.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
well i don't know how the US do it but i know (from first hand experience) that the UK,s warhead stockpile
are regularly swapped out stripped checked serviced measured poked prodded and ANY defect is rectified
then resembled and rotated back in to its long service of sitting in a tube waiting for a chance to turn a city
into a glass plate.

i would imagine the US DOD operate a similar system.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

If we ever get to the point of launching multiple Nuclear ICBM's, each countries government would be doing it a favor by just having them go up and come back down. Either way we are all dead, the sooner the better.

As someone else said, it is really about deterrence. There is the idea of M.A.D., mutually assured destruction. It is stating that if you have nukes, and I have nukes, and we both shoot each other we both die. So lets not shoot each other. Instead lets play nice and not use them. But so help me God if you do something wrong, we all know we will all die.

new topics

top topics

join