It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Input about strange Facebook hack and phone call at work

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dianec
a reply to: mysterioustranger

An officer came by to take some info to pass onto the FBI. I was surprised with the visit. One thing he saw happening was back logging. A new message was on FB that was from Friday (4th), but not present last night (so how has FB time stamped it for Friday). Also - the other messages have disappeared. This made him think of a potential virus attack using FB so if that's the case maybe they can get in front of it.

He also found it off that the guys messages sounded as if he was trying to date me. If only he could have heard the way he spoke to me on the phone. It's likely a new approach at a scam but it did concern him. Con artists and crooks are getting more savvy with their technology, and I'm super behind on that so that isn't a good mix.

One final comment is that he wrote with some broken English and spoke in a way that didn't flow well, yet his punctuation was impeccable. Commas all in the right spots, etc.. I would think a foreigner would flub up some of those mechanics of writing. It's just been a weird experience overall. Hope they figure if out.

If this is a scam, these things are usually run by criminal syndicates. The callers are operating out of a boiler room, reading off a script. There's a good chance the person who posted to your FB account isn't the same person who called you.

The backlogging makes sense. They connect with you. During that call they backlog comments on FB, making it look like what they're saying is true. That they've been trying to contact you for awhile.

Let's hope it's a scam. That would be the best outcome. They're just looking for suckers. And will ignore you once they realize you aren't one.

Either way, it's nice to see you got a good tech savvy officer to follow up on the matter. Maybe this scam, if it is one, will be nipped in the bud before it takes too many people in.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Dianec

Good for you! And about that punctuation? Isnt spell and grammar checking wonderful?! Anyone who can TYPE in English...even if they dont SPEAK it well...can respond with it...like they DO!

Im glad youve pursued reporting it. We all should if it happens to us!

<< 1   >>

join