1 John 1:9 and the Filling of the Holy Spirit

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

But this is in the prophecy. The Great Falling Away. I actually think I may have dreamed about it.

I was walking on a path through a park being led by a man I couldn't see who promised not to leave me. We walked past large shelters on stone slabs. They were full of people who all looked happy and they were having a picnic. They didn't see the snakes busy digging underneath the slabs, undermining their shelters.

I think that's what my dream meant - people in their churches, relying on the safety of what they were being taught about the Gospel, but it's being undermined by lies and deceit and so are they and they are not on the path.

I could be wrong though because I'm new to dreams and why would He show me something like that? I'm no one. It could just as easily be something else.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thats very profound. Thanks for sharing. I wouldnt write it off just yet. Prophecy will cease when partial knowledge is completed. We are still in a state of partial knowledge.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
a reply to: Maigret

Thank you, but I have already found God. Now I am simply trying to follow His instruction.

With all due respect, BELIEVERpriest, going by your statement of beliefs, you are following a man-made version of God. I'm talking about one on one contact, where's He's actively teaching you what you need to know.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

What makes you so sure my God is man made? How do you know that I dont already have a one-on-one relationship with God?
What would be your suggestion to someone like myself?

These are honest questions, not a defensive reflex.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

1) We are saved by Faith
"Saved" in the New Testament doesn't mean the same thing as in modern pop-culture religion, which is a guaranteed golden ticket to the Rapture.
It is rather the analog of the Old Testament version of salvation, such as the Israelites crossing the Red Sea to escape Pharaoh's army, to gather in Sinai as the congregation of the saved.
The NT version is the church as the congregation of the saved, believing in Jesus rather than following Moses.
The "Faith" is the entrée into this community, rather than making an oath to follow hundreds of laws, as the Israelites were obligated to.
People "saved" in the NT sense are no more guaranteed heaven than individuals of the Sinai Israelites were guaranteed the promised land.
The group in general, does, otherwise 'being saved', as a term, would be meaningless.

3) We are identified with Jesus' Royal Priesthood, making each Christian a believer-priest before God
Again, this is an allusion to the covenant of Sinai, where the promise from YHWH was that they were to become a nation of priests.
The idea is that Christianity is in no way inferior to the old covenant scheme.
It is not supposed to be taken literally.

4) The Holy Spirit dwells within us, but it is our choice whether or not to let Him work through us.
The "Holy Spirit" is the third person of the godhead, so does not literally dwell in us.
There is a spirit that is holy, that is God's, that comes to us through Jesus, that does dwell in us as the life-giving spirit that replaces the natural spirit that ordinarily leads us to sin and death.

Since we still sin on a regular basis, we should confess those sins privately to God the Father directly, on a regular basis.
1 John is not concerned with what we do "privately".
It is about the benefits of a Christian community.
I think that he is promoting something like you see in the movies about AA meetings, that you first admit that you are an alcoholic.
In the world of 1 John, you would say, "Hello, my name is John, and I'm a sinner".

. . . and I certainly hope that any reader of 1 John 1:9 realizes that sins must be confessed to God. But we are called out of the world to be trained as Kings and Priests for Jesus future kingdom. If we are each priests before God, then it should be obvious that a priest must confess his/her own sins regularly.
No, I think you are way off on this. You are taking something unrelated from Peter to interpret this.
The writer here makes a comment that "the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all unrighteousness."
I think it could be a reference to communion, with the shared wine being symbolic of Jesus' blood.
Our being subject to examination by the congregation encourages towards a life of righteousness, if for no other reason than the avoidance of shame while "walking in the light".

That has always been a function of biblical priesthood.
You are attempting to inject an element that doesn't belong in a discussion of 1 John.
The Book of Hebrews makes an analogy to the temple priesthood but it is understood as just that, an analogy, and not something literal.
edit on 9-7-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: jmdewey60

You cannot support any of those points with scripure IN ITS CONTEXT.

Salvation or Eternal Life is attained the same way today as it was in ancient days: through faith in the Messiah, Jesus.

1 John 5:11-13 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

The body of the believer is the Temple of God, where the omnipresent Father/Son/Holy Spirit dwells.

1 Cor 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?

Jesus called the Church out to train us as Kings and Priests for His future Millenial Kingdom.

Rev 1:5&6 To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, 6 and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Salvation or Eternal Life is attained the same way today as it was in ancient days: through faith in the Messiah, Jesus.
Which one is it, salvation or eternal life?

. . . God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
"Eternal" is a quality not restricted to chronology.
We have "life more abundant", meaning a better life, more quality of life, not just 'more' as in quantity.
The life for eternity starts now, a better way of living.

. . . your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you . . .
Meaning, as a composition of all believers.
"You", plural, is the temple, singular.

Jesus called the Church out to train us as Kings and Priests for His future Millennial Kingdom.
There is no future millennial kingdom, we are living in it right now.

. . . has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father.
"Serve" in Revelation just means worship.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Eternal Life is Salvation from eternal separation from God.

You are set in your ways, JM. I will not continue to attempt to convince you otherwise.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Jesus is our everlasting cleansing sacrifice, and when we cite our sins, we are cleansed of their temporary effect in our earthly lives.
You are making an interpretation, and not reciting what the text actually says.
"Cleansed" in 1 John does not mean being relieved of a sense of "sin guilt", but being 'purified' as in becoming pure in regards to sin, meaning living sin free, as in not committing acts that are obviously sin, rather than things, upon afterthought, were maybe not especially beneficial to others.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I will not continue to attempt to convince you otherwise.
You could try quoting some actual Bible verses, along with some reasonable interpretation, rather than a bunch of imaginative personal philosophy.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

You could try quoting some actual Bible verses, along with some reasonable interpretation, rather than a bunch of imaginative personal philosophy.

Yeah, thanks for the tip, Ill keep that in mind.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

What makes you so sure my God is man made? How do you know that I dont already have a one-on-one relationship with God?
What would be your suggestion to someone like myself?

These are honest questions, not a defensive reflex.

Thanks for that last sentence, BELIEVERpriest, I was mis-reading it up until then
and I was worried you'd mis-read my intentions in my reply too...

To add weight to what I say, I ask that you consider this: In the OT, before the sacrifice of the Son, all sorts of people heard from God as a common occurrence. Yet since the sacrifice of the Son, all we have is silence. Why?

This silence shows something must be wrong, yet men have been actively evangelising and preaching Jesus Christ for the last two thousand years.

John 6:45 says, 'they will all be taught by God' - and whoever has heard and learned from the Father, comes to me. Why would it take an audible word from God to lead you to His son, in the midst of all this evangelising activity going on?

The difficulty in hearing an audible word from God, is whether or not you believe the Source and the word. If you believe the Source to be evil, you'd be committing the Cardinal Sin as described in Matthew 9:34, 10:25, & 12:31, where the Pharisees attributed the Source, of the Son's power to cast out demons, to be demonic or satanic in nature. To avoid this disaster, it is best to check any word from God first; obeying the Biblical injunction to 'test everything', before deciding on the source!

The audible word from God is "The name of My Son is not Jesus". Now you've heard it, so check it out! As this is not the original name of the Son of God!

We are also told that 'there is no other name by which we can be saved', so why do we accept a substitute? Also, we are told you are 'not condemned if you believe in him', but how can you believe in someone if you don't even know his name? (John 3:18)

Which goes to explain why, for 2,000 years, Christians do not hear from God Himself...

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

My understanding is that the name of the Son is Yahoshua, which is transliterated directly to Joshua in english, and Yeshua in Aramaic. 'Yaho' for Yehwah, and 'shua' for salvation. Hence Yehwah brings salvation. Jesus comes from the greek transliteration of Yahoshua as Iesus. Iesus is repeatedly used in NT, so Jesus is a valid transliteration of the original Yahoshua. The pronunciation has degenerated over the years as different languages yeild different accents, but the name is the same....unless you think the Son of God is someone totally different than the man revealed in the gospels. If that is the case, then we arent on the same page. But if you consider the Hebrew OT to be authentic, then so is the Greek NT...and I can prove that! Hence Jesus is a legitimate form of Yahoshua.

I dont audibly hear the voice of God, but He does show me things that I am incapable of comprehending or fabricating by my own intellect. I have tested these revelations by the standards of the metered OT and NT (in their originally preserved languages). God is not silent. It is the Church that has filled its ears with wax. My revelations come from mixing regular bible study with the use of 1 John 1:9. The Church as a whole has rejected/neglected 1 John 1:9, so they study and work in vain.

Am I making sense?

BTW, thanks for replying.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Yahoshua, which is transliterated directly to Joshua in english,
I think that form of the word is used once in Exodus, while every other instance of the Hebrew for Joshua is the shorter form, without the extra syllable.

With Jesus, that was a given name, where if someone was going to use the Hebrew version, they were using the shorter one that is mostly used in the Bible, including later biblical characters also named Joshua.

The reason the variant form is brought up in current discussions, I think, is because of an anti-Christian agenda to not allow Jesus to be called "savior", which is what Joshua and Jesus mean, but to pretend it is the other one, so they can say YHWH saves, instead.
edit on 11-7-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

I can agree with your first point, but I believe Yehwah and Jesus are one. The OT God is the NT God.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I can agree with your first point, but I believe Yehwah and Jesus are one. The OT God is the NT God.
I think we are veering off topic here.
We were supposed to be talking about confessing sins.
Jesus died to bring us together as human beings so that is the aspect that should come into focus.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Jesus died to pay for our sins. Thats the only reason we can cite our sins to God and recieve forgiveness, because we are citing neutralized sins. Jesus came to purchase and separate His redeemed from the world, with His blood. His believers are unified in His body, but aside from that, Jesus' death did not bring the world together.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

But this is in the prophecy. The Great Falling Away. I actually think I may have dreamed about it.

I was walking on a path through a park being led by a man I couldn't see who promised not to leave me. We walked past large shelters on stone slabs. They were full of people who all looked happy and they were having a picnic. They didn't see the snakes busy digging underneath the slabs, undermining their shelters.

I think that's what my dream meant - people in their churches, relying on the safety of what they were being taught about the Gospel, but it's being undermined by lies and deceit and so are they and they are not on the path.

I could be wrong though because I'm new to dreams and why would He show me something like that? I'm no one. It could just as easily be something else.

"the path" is "the one Faith" of Ephesians 4:5. That is why the "gate is narrow."

Prophetic dreams in these end-times, thanks ketsuko.

Believe dear ATS, God wants to save souls. He is going show everyone the "one Faith" in the "awakening."

Matthew 7:13
Enter ye in at the narrow gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, and many there are who go in thereat.

Luke 13:24
Strive to enter by the narrow gate; for many, I say to you, shall seek to enter, and shall not be able.

Matthew 7:14
How narrow is the gate, and strait is the way that leadeth to life: and few there are that find it

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I have a question.

After water Baptism (removes Original Sin), when we sin mortally (sin onto death), how do you restore God's presence
in your soul?

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: colbe
I have a question.

After water Baptism (removes Original Sin), when we sin mortally (sin onto death), how do you restore God's presence
in your soul?

I dont believe that water baptism removes sin, only the blood of the Lamb can do that. Upon faith in Christ, we are baptized in the Holy Spirit, as well as in the Father and Son. Furthermore, for a believer in Christ, there is no "mortal sin" that results in loss of Eternal Life. There is Sin Unto Death, which is a disciplinary response to sin on God's behalf that results in a most painful and humiliating death on the apostate believer, but never a loss of Eternal Life.

To avoid Sin Unto Death, and other disciplinary responses, or at least convert that discipline into suffered-blessing, all one must do is cite/confess/acknowledge his/her known sins directly to God the Father. He doesnt want an apology, but a citation of the sin that was paid for by Christ. This citation is similar to citation of annotated law in modern court cases. Our confessions glorify Christ before Satan in the Supreme Court of Heaven. When Satan seeks to accuse us, Christ points out that the sin in question was already imputed to the cross.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join