It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamps Sold on Facebook, eBay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Shocking article from Judicial Watch about food stamps being sold off on places like Facebook and Craigslist and about the ironic millions being spent by the government that created some of the problem to fight the corruption.

Absolutely ridiculous.

A lot of this has come from the efforts by the U.S. Department of Agriculture who has made a direct agreement with the government of Mexico to encourage food stamp enrollment by illegal immigrants in the U.S. as well as actually advertising the "program".

Hmmm.

Now we see government Departments actually negotiating agreements with foreign nations.

It's been going on for some time already apparently.

We have somebody getting rich creating fraud and then getting somebody else rich by forcing law enforcement.

Clever trick indeed.

We should all be so lucky eh.

Read the whole article please.

It’s bad enough that the Obama administration has shattered records by spending a mind-boggling $80.4 billion to give a record number of people free groceries, now it’s dedicating millions more to crack down on fraud that includes using social media to illegally sell and buy food stamps online.

It’s an outrageous and senseless waste of taxpayer dollars to allow a government handout program to become so bloated that it requires such a huge allocation to counter corruption. Judicial Watch has reported extensively on the fraud surrounding the government’s scandal-plagued food stamp program in the last few years. Under President Obama, the food stamp rolls are busting, with a record 50 million people getting free food from Uncle Sam.

Recipients include illegal immigrants thanks to a partnership between the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the agency that distributes food stamps, and the Mexican government. Last year JW uncovered records that show the agency has teamed up with Mexico to promote participation by illegal aliens in the U.S. food stamp program. The effort includes Spanish-language flyers at Mexican Embassies ensuring that their nationals don’t need to declare their immigration status to get financial assistance from the American government.

Food Stamps Sold on Facebook, eBay; U.S. Spends $7 Mil to Crack Down on Fraud

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

When does the correlation of 0bama's personal wealth increase ... and how much money he's 'given' away happen?

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Reason #32,604 why there should be no food stamps/ebt as we know it today. People are in need of assistance and I can not begrudge the ones who need it, BUT there are better ways.

For the amount of money the government spends to crack down on all of the fraudulent food stamp activity, they could just as easily open government funded food banks and allow the cards to only be used at those banks with ID. Let folks sell packages of ramen noodles if they want to. Of course some would continue to sell the "groceries", but I do feel like it would cut down on enough of it to make a difference.

It may not be the best idea out there, but it is better than continually throwing money into the wind hoping to stop something from happening just by doing it. And that is precisely what the government is doing and will continue to do. Why? Because it isn't their money. It's pretty damn easy to waste someone else's money... As we see here.

I swear it seems like the government doesn't have enough brains to drive a piss ant two laps around a cheerio....

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

We have somebody getting rich

You're absolutely correct, someone is getting rich here but I doubt it's the fraudsters on FB or Ebay. More likely it these guys (*cough JP Morgan cough*)

18 of the 24 states JP Morgan handles have been contracted to pay the bank up to $560,492,596.02 since 2004.

Since 2007, Florida has been contracted to pay JP Morgan $90,351,202.22.

Pennsylvania’s seven-year contract totaled $112,541,823.27.

New York’s seven-year contract totaled $126,394,917.
JP Morgan’s Food Stamp Empire

Note, I'm not condoning the FB - Ebay selling. That's just wrong but once again if we look at the real culprits behind the curtains it's a big bank. Sometimes (often) in collusion with the government.

edit on 202pm3636pm102014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Food stamps are CORPORATE WELFARE.

Look up how many billions of dollars JP Morgan makes off them.

Then figure in all the billions of dollars food manufactures get off them.

Guaranteed income!

The kicker ?

THE KICKER ?

Government subsidized 'free' GMO food for the 'poor'.

God bless America.

God bless CORPORATE WELFARE!

Ain't that cool ?

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The median income in the US is around 50k; someone who makes that will pay $64 in taxes for WIC, SNAP and school lunch programs. Seems to me that you have to be pretty selfish to be concerned about $64. Fraud happens, but it's a very small percentage, less than 2 percent if I remember correctly and honestly? I'd pay ten times that to ensure that no one went hungry, even if HALF of those receiving assistance were gaming the system.

We're not hunting on the savanna and living on the edge of the margin of cooperation, knowing that one person working less than at their capacity is going to cause the starvation of the group. There's more than enough to go around.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jadette
The median income in the US is around 50k; someone who makes that will pay $64 in taxes for WIC, SNAP and school lunch programs. Seems to me that you have to be pretty selfish to be concerned about $64. Fraud happens, but it's a very small percentage, less than 2 percent if I remember correctly and honestly? I'd pay ten times that to ensure that no one went hungry, even if HALF of those receiving assistance were gaming the system.

We're not hunting on the savanna and living on the edge of the margin of cooperation, knowing that one person working less than at their capacity is going to cause the starvation of the group. There's more than enough to go around.

But that $64 gets consolidated and redistributed to the con artists involved in much larger sums.

How is that justified?

With the money that gets stolen we could feed India.

Syllogisms can backfire.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   

So, the USDA is conspiring with the "Mexican embassy" to get illegal immigrants to come here and enjoy free groceries? I thought embassies were located outside the country, as in, the Mexican embassy in major U.S. cities, perhaps.

Not saying you're a journalist, but the obvious slant of the OP reads like a faux-news story, not even hiding the obvious tactics used to get me to subscribe to some sort of worldview.

edit on 8-7-2014 by kkrattiger because: Hit reply on Xuenchen's post, meant as reply to the thread in general- my bad

edit on 8-7-2014 by kkrattiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: kkrattiger

Shocking indeed !!

Conspiracies on a conspiracy forum !!

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This isn't new, nor is it surprising by any means.

I have heard stories of people on SNAP and other assistance programs buying things like steaks and selling them cheaper than the grocery store for cash.

I'm not cold-hearted enough to say ditch all forms of nutritional assistance, but I do think it needs a serious and major overhaul. Who knows, I myself may someday find that I need a little help, and I'd gladly take it considering I've been paying into the system.

I believe that only certain generic brands, and certain "staples" should be allowed. No cookies, chips, sodas, ect. If we, the tax payers are going to help you out, you can cook your own meals from scratch using wholesome ingredients.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Reason #32,604 why there should be no food stamps/ebt as we know it today. People are in need of assistance and I can not begrudge the ones who need it, BUT there are better ways.

For the amount of money the government spends to crack down on all of the fraudulent food stamp activity, they could just as easily open government funded food banks and allow the cards to only be used at those banks with ID. Let folks sell packages of ramen noodles if they want to. Of course some would continue to sell the "groceries", but I do feel like it would cut down on enough of it to make a difference.

It may not be the best idea out there, but it is better than continually throwing money into the wind hoping to stop something from happening just by doing it. And that is precisely what the government is doing and will continue to do. Why? Because it isn't their money. It's pretty damn easy to waste someone else's money... As we see here.

I swear it seems like the government doesn't have enough brains to drive a piss ant two laps around a cheerio....

I agree that "government grocery stores" with "government brands" should be used in place of the current system. Only staples and "ingredients" should be sold -- no "ready to eat" foods.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
This isn't new, nor is it surprising by any means.

I have heard stories of people on SNAP and other assistance programs buying things like steaks and selling them cheaper than the grocery store for cash.

I'm not cold-hearted enough to say ditch all forms of nutritional assistance, but I do think it needs a serious and major overhaul. Who knows, I myself may someday find that I need a little help, and I'd gladly take it considering I've been paying into the system.

I believe that only certain generic brands, and certain "staples" should be allowed. No cookies, chips, sodas, ect. If we, the tax payers are going to help you out, you can cook your own meals from scratch using wholesome ingredients.

hey, hey,....corruption is only for the wealthy to get away with....now those poor people are a different story....send them all to jail, and/or eliminate the entire program, even for the people that truly need it.....that'll show em'.....poor people are just dogs that need to leave America, and stop feeding at the trough of patriotic, freedom-loving Americans.

new topics

top topics

join