It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Earthen Rings Predate Amazon Rainforest

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

www.flem-ath.com

Rand and Rose Flem-Ath are a couple of armchair (afaik) Canadian Indiana Jonses who have corresponded with Charles Hapgood (as well as myself) and created an esoteric blog arguing in favor of Atlantis being Antarctica before it was frozen over when the earth's crust shifted it south some 12,000 years ago.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Read a short story in Jr. High, about a plantation in South America. The story was about the main character's battles with mother nature, in the form of the indomitable army ant. Around his property, was a 20' deep trench, which would be filled with diesel, and lit aflame in the case of an attacking hoard of army ants tried to invade his property. One poster earlier said something about similar cases being studied, and dismissed. However, I am wondering how many of them are ancient, and how many are recent?

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful
Once upon a time Africa and the greater Egypt were lush rainforests, and once upon a time the amazon rainforest was likely resembling the landscapes of Africa now copious deserts and bush country. There probably drainage pits used to funnel water for various growth projects by the people of those times for there cities or villages. But its anybody guess I suppose. Besides who cares, there is plenty of junk in the ground from by gone eras, just look at those pyramids, people just leave there crap everywhere and sometimes even nature can not fully cover it. But give it time and all will fade away.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chronogoblin
Read a short story in Jr. High, about a plantation in South America. The story was about the main character's battles with mother nature, in the form of the indomitable army ant. Around his property, was a 20' deep trench, which would be filled with diesel, and lit aflame in the case of an attacking hoard of army ants tried to invade his property. One poster earlier said something about similar cases being studied, and dismissed. However, I am wondering how many of them are ancient, and how many are recent?

The presence of carbon would tell the tale of large scale burning.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I think it has to do with agriculture... Whether it be to grow rice, or protect maize, or other grains. The ditch would keep animals out that may eat the plants, whether it be filled with water or steep enough to deter them, or even perhaps an empty space patrolled by humans or dogs to keep out omnivores.

Again, perhaps it's some sort of defensive position against people or animals for a settlement.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Sorry for the delay…

So lemee seee…

the fruit has seeds, the crap has seeds, the crap is fertilizer for the seeds, the animals "plant" the crap fertilized seeds far from the source of the parent tree…

by design… or happenstance?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DodgyDawg

Even a full excavation of a select few of these sites with trees removed and everything, would be a pin-prick compared to the damage caused by deforestation yet they could reveal bucket-loads of information and evidence about the inhabitants of these sites and the history of south America.

Makes sense, I agree with that.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: intrptr

From the link:

Since the 1980s, however, deforestation has revealed massive earthworks in the form of ditches up to 16 feet (5 meters) deep, and often just as wide.

Pretty big ditches. So what did they use these for?

Moats? Flood barriers? Defense against big critters?

Too bad we have to deforest the planet to make these discoveries. I prefer the forest for the trees.

My first guess is that they were filled with water and used as a moat, though having that much stagnant water might encourage mosquitos. Defence against large critters and invaders would seem a better reason. Combine those ditches with high earth or wood walls, and you would have a very secure home safe against snakes and alligators.

Sorry for the delay…

Huts on stilts would do all that. Or build on a hill. Remote villages in the southeast pacific do that for the very reason of Tsunamis. Their elders say watch the animals and build on high. If the animals are running to high ground, keep up. There was a story about a herd of elephants doing that in the Indonesian earthquake and Tsunami, remeber that?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

I know - cheesy.

Sorry for the delay…

Not cheesy, nectar filled wild times…

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

By the way, thats why nectar in flowers tastes so good, too. Fauna (unknowingly) tempts the critters and insects (that the trees don't know exist) to pollinate and carry off their seeds.

Now someone will prove me wrong and say trees and flowers know the birds and the bees are there.

Proof?

Maybe not "proof" of actual knowledge of the fauna (fauna is animals, flora is plants) by the flora, but it's at least a cool read.

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the link. You are right that plants respond to attack. Pollination is different from attack though?

How does a plant know to make nectar sweet? How does it know to lure its pollinators who unwittingly carry the pollen from flower to flower for them? How does the act of pollination (a mere touch compared to feeding caterpillars, say) incite the plants to flower, produce pollen and nectar and fruit ad seeds in the fruit?

Pretty big list of preconditions to precede the foresting of the earth…

I won't go into the production of oxygen, fixing of soils, filtering water, making wood to build things, burn for warmth, etc. Forests produce their own weather systems, which recycles the water in rain and stores it in the trees…

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

Sorry for the delay. Defense of some sort is my guess too. Your reply just made me think of something. If an invader was attacking they could pour pitch oil or some crude oil on it and set it on fire…

Ring of fire would stop anything except flood waters.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Sorry for the delay…

So lemee seee…

the fruit has seeds, the crap has seeds, the crap is fertilizer for the seeds, the animals "plant" the crap fertilized seeds far from the source of the parent tree…

by design… or happenstance?

Not sure.

I know the tomato plant that is currently growing in my back yard where my dogs are was not planted by me on purpose!

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Maybe see which dog likes tomatoes? If not you got a gift from a bird. The best kind. Cage it and stake it…

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Flood ditch? I doubt it. A flood ditch must drain somewhere and it must be way larger.

The most logical use is for defensive purposes like in trench warfare. Or for collecting subterranean water.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join