It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS. What do you think about a Age limit?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Seriously i have noticed quite a few threads where the posters have seemed really immature. I think there have even been a few 14 yr olds registering here too. Some of the subjects on ATS need to not be seen by such a young aged person right?

How would ATS institute a ONE TIME age verification check? A few methods come to mind. One could be drivers license number/state id number. Another could be Social sec number. Anyway the quality of threads has suffered alot. So what do the rest of you think ATS?

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I disagree.

They should learn as early as possible to make their own educated decisions.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Speaking as one who is slightly older...unfortunately.

There are members here who are less than half my age, who are among the most mature of our members...and smartest.

So, my answer would be no way, no how.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Umm nay ! Educate them while they are young , maybe they will learn something here and apply it to life.
Teach them I say !

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
One of the better friends I made on here was like 13 when they joined, and were more mature than most people 3 times their age. Some young teenagers can be incredibly mature, while others aren't in the least.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Age has nothing to do with maturity. Just reading the board is proof of that.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
"Papers, please."

On ATS? Surely you jest.

I think reaching young people is one of the most valuable things we can do here.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Last night I watched 'The Internet's own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz'.

He was 14 when he invented the forerunner of Wikipedia.

Although I'm against an age requirement for membership, I would be fully supportive of an IQ test.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic
Last night I watched 'The Internet's own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz'.

He was 14 when he invented the forerunner of Wikipedia.

Although I'm against an age requirement for membership, I would be fully supportive of an IQ test.

Maybe as long as the IQ test is not used to deny or restrict access. You can't say: "You're not smart enough to be a member of this community and learn from its diverse and wide range of information."

On OP, I don't believe the site should limit the age to use the information shared herein. Like other have said, educate them as soon as possible! You don't want to be another entity responsible for pulling the wool over someones eyes and hiding truths! It seems anti-ATS to do so.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Nah, I am not typing my SS or anything like that to join a website. I seriously doubt the owners of ATS would want that kind of responsibility of keeping all those numbers secure either lol.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I think it would be good for an immature mind to come across this place as it might send them onto a path of maturity

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Great!

If they (ATS) did a maturity check, I'd get banned in an instant!

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
You have to start somewhere, right? I personally see younger members joining as a great sign of hope. Think of us as mentors, in a sense.

In discussions with my high-school age niece, I'm appalled at what they now teach (or rather, don't teach) as history through Common Core. So I try to instill the values of skepticism, and the search for individual knowledge in her.

Another example, I read today in the news, and someone has started a thread on it here, that a 16 year old kid has invented an app/browser plug-in that will easily show you exactly who all has made financial campaign contributions to any US politician. He coined the slogan "Some are red. Some are blue. All are green."

Now why would we want to shun away a bright young mind like that?

And as many have already stated, age and maturity are not the same.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
LOL HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! well seeing the reponses I think it is I who need to chill a bit i guess. thanks for the input so far. And yeah there are a few gems in the bunch i guess.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The way I look at it....Give em' the stage. If they're sensitive and or immature they certainly won't last long here. If they're a smart ass know it all; they'll meet a bigger and badder one.

I consider us all a little rebellious right? Resolute yet inquisitive?

I'm 30 and sometimes revert to a 14 year old mentality. Hell....they'll fit right in.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Asking for drivers license number or social security numbers is appalling! Also what about the non U.S. citizens that don't drive?

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

have to disagree with this idea

1.because ATS would loose membership numbers(especially as i can imagine a fair few members being cagey about giving out such info)

2.because kids need a voice to (hopefully not very loud lol)

I do agree kids could do without seeing certain subject matters but at the same time our world is a mess and to get the next generation to understand the issues earlier may indeed help in the long run.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
Asking for drivers license number or social security numbers is appalling! Also what about the non U.S. citizens that don't drive?

Never going to happen anyways. All you need to be an ATS member is a valid email address. ATS has always said that they wouldn't want anything else. Our Privacy Policy. I can post it if need be.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Age test....

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Give up our SS numbers? That sounds like the suggestion of a 10 year old lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join