Is MJ helping the local economy grow in Colorado?

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
So I'm not from Colorado but i would love it locals could help us at ATS understand the impacts of legalization on the local economies.

Have you notice significant growth in construction?

Hopefully some in the industry can chime in.

How about truckers?

Hotels?

Anyone have any info or local newspaper article a they can link us up with?

Thanks ahead of time, just hoping to cut through some of the bs and understand what's really going on.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Chocolate Sales are Up All across the State . I would have to say Yes .

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Looks like the hospitality industry is doing quite well. Go figure, huh?

MJ Tourism in Colorado

Of course, "officials" remain skeptical.

Naturally.
edit on 7/7/14 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
That legal money they weren't making before,no room to complain

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
As a flyfishing guide and outfitter working out of the 4 corners region; my clients only want to fish in Colorado. In years past, New Mexico and the famous San Juan was the river of choice.

Isn't that interesting....
edit on 7-7-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Makes sense to me.
I would never attempt to go fishing without it.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I bet pizza and food delivery sales are up.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I cannot say anything for certain.

But, I live in Colorado Springs. It is the second largest city in Colorado - as similar as you can get to Denver for comparison. Unfortunately, my city was just a tad bit too conservative to allow for recreational sales so we are missing out on all those tax markets. (Denver and Pueblo have a monopoly on recreational sales taxes right now). However The Springs' medical marijuana market is still booming. On the East / Northeast sides of town businesses are popping up like mad. Seriously - in the past year within a 3 mile radius of my house there has a hotel, two new strip malls with various stores (five guys, verizon, etc.) senior community, massive apartment/townhome complex, western outfitters, countless restaraunts, golf course, and I am sure I am missing a few.

I do not have any links or articles to back it up unfortunately - and I cannot tie all of these new business to the marijuana growth.

But I can honestly say I have not seen businesses popping up in my immediate area on a scale even near this since about 2005.

Also, "head shops", "smoke shops", or "glass shops" whatever you prefer to call them
That market is certainly exploding those things are popping up EVERYWHERE!

Always congregating around the marijuana shops. Another thing - "Vape Lounges" are popping up all over. These are mainly for Ecig enthusiasts.

One tidbit I have heard from others and clarified: The MSM will tell you that public consumption of marijuana is still illegal in Colorado thus there are no 'marijuana bars' with adults allowed to smoke within. This is false. In my city there is 2 or 3 lounges where you can sit down, pay 5-15$ and then you can sit down and smoke as much as you want. It is usually hash in these places. So it has certainly created a market of ALL different sorts!

Not to mention the products carried in the marijuana shops themselves. People from medical states do not realize.

Today they have pot brownies, pot soda, pot alcohol, pot candy, pot popcorn, pot topicals, pot tincture, pot energy drinks, literally ANYTHING you can imagine edible or drinkable they have it in pot form now. All of this stuff is produced in dozens of companies throughout Boulder and Denver and is distributed across the state. Marijuana apparel....haha

I apologize for my rant it is rather late.

My point is the amount of possibilities that have been opened in Colorado are limitless right now! You want to go into the marijuana industry?? Choose your pick! There must be dozens of sub-industries already.

Also, this is pure speculation on my behalf but I believe I have noticed an uptick in out of state licence plates recently. Of course it is summer but before then too.

ETA: As for the number of pot shops, they exploded a few years back. There way WAY WAY to many. It has evened out now though with competition as the bad shops were eliminated and I think the amount now is pretty perfect. Also in the past couple months several new ones have came up.

I imagine Denver had a similar trend. From what i have read - many medical marijuana shops in Denver converted to recreational shops once 2014 hit.
edit on 8-7-2014 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I'm way down south near La Veta Pass. We own a home w/acreage in a failed land development. The lots sold but only a handful of families built homes/live out here.

Non-resident land owners keep up taxes but rarely visit. This past memorial day/4th of July they came out of the woodwork. There was solid traffic coming in our road. They came in RV's, vans you name it pulling campers, dirt bikes/boats etc. Some are still here vacationing. We've never seen anything like it. They haven't been loud/crazy or made pests of themselves.

Californians came a few years ago, brought money/new businesses to our area but nothing like this.

We've met some really nice people. Since last winter several families moved here permanently. Today my hubby helped a retired vet find his land. He's bringing in a dbl wide, plans on living here full time. We're a small community I can only imagine the numbers coming into Springs/Denver.

I think some cannabis guest retreats are popping up in the state. A shop opened locally to manufacture/sell cannabis seed oil extract lotions etc. One couple moved here/opened a head shop and is building their greenhouse. My entrepreneurial hubby wants to do "Canni-Bus" tours. LOL

Our county, Huerfano, is poor we could sure use the tax revenue. Shell Oil's been sniffing around the Great Dikes of the Spanish Peaks, which makes us all very nervous. Local officials might be more resistant to Shell's money if there's another source. That's my hope anyway. I prefer cannabis seed oil to Shell Oil any day.
edit on 7-8-2014 by Morningglory because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Come on people wake up and get MAD already.

The rotten beestards running the Global Economy made quadrillions off of MJ and other drugs,now that you are seeing the real truth,get with the program and let everyone know how these monsters really made their money.

Yes,everything will improve economiclly.

But the real bonus will be that real criminals will finally be put in prison where they belong and cops and judges will have to do their jobs finally across the board.

When the number crunching is done we will see who is keeping up and doing their jobs and who has been slacking behind the MJ conspiracy,if the Colorado Criminal Justice System DOES NOT show dramatic statistical changes IMMEDIATLY then we can begin to weed out the bad apples who are refusing to or cannot make the changes they have to make.

If murder and violent crime prosecutions do not increase dramaticlly then the millions of man hours spent policing MJ will have gone EXACTLY WHERE?????

Now there is NO CHOICE but to do the right things and to put the police and court impacts where they belong,not chasing,prosecuting and jailing MJ offenders.

If the numbers arent going up in other criminal areas then there are BAD APPLES IN THE BARREL and they need to be identified and removed ASAP.

Dont worry about the economic impact,it will be MASSIVE,because the trillions of dollars which were being exported will not remain within the domestic economy.

Why do you think Mexico is going nuts right now,they have been crippled fiscally,overnight,and they are out to get the politicians and people who have cut them out of the party.

Just wait till people begin to learn of the epic parasitic health benefits of ingesting MJ,forget the recreational smoking aspects,it will also drop the Big Pharma industry to its knees.

edit on 8-7-2014 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Slightly offtopic but Washington state has started legally selling MJ now as of yesterday.

Still-Divided Washington Prepares for Start of Recreational Marijuana Sales

New York just joined the number of states with medical marijuana.
New York legalizes medical marijuana
edit on 8-7-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

join