It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATM skimmers that sit inside the card slot are virtually impossible to detect

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: LightningStrikesHere

totally agree, but an ATM is more often than not what gives you your cash lol
bit of a bummer there ay?

but yes generally i am not a fan of all this digital transaction stuff, makes it easier for you to get ripped off for sure.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Bitcoin.

Second

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I had to get a new ATM card from NAB Bank.
I got a call '' your card is ready for use ''
I picked my card up from the bank in the city office.
walked outside, used the ATM at the branch.
Two days later I got a call saying my card had been hacked by someone in England.
I used the card once, on the banks own ATM.

Thing is, we pay all these fee's for Banks.
If I withdraw my money from another banks ATM, I have to pay a $2 fee.

yet, the atms never get upgraded. they are the same POS from the early 90's...

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

In an ideal world i would agree with the notion of a digital currency. That being said with our current financial system seemingly at deaths door or at the very least in full melt down is it really a good idea to have all one's eggs in such a fragile digital basket?
edit on 8-7-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightningStrikesHere
a reply to: andy06shake

Here's a solution...

Use Cash!

Just saying.....

But in order to use cash, people need to go to an ATM.

Just saying....

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   

This will all lead to a cashless Society one day anyway and then the ATM's won't exist anymore. Which btw would mean huge amounts of scrap metal, wires and plastic.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
Not really new, they've been around for a while now. A few years at least.

Don't use debit, use credit if you insist on using your card for the purchase. At least that way they don't get your PIN number.

Excuse me but my credit card has a PIN number and I must enter the PIN number if the company (seller) uses an online card reader to check the validity of the card and the amount of the purchase.

Europe is slowly moving away from a cash society and stress the importance of using a debit card, EC card or credit card - paperless (money) society. It makes it easier when the governments start micro chipping their slaves.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

That's the point of an ATM.....to receive cash.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
Not really new, they've been around for a while now. A few years at least.

Don't use debit, use credit if you insist on using your card for the purchase. At least that way they don't get your PIN number.

In Europe, our credit cards have PIN numbers. The scary thing is that many pubs and bars have wi-fi based keypads and card readers. The barstaff just bring the reader to you.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
Just something for everyone to be aware of next time they use an ATM. Shockingly surprising level of sophistication, almost undetectable really.

They still need your PIN (which is not on the card) : just cover the keypad with your hand/wallet when you type-in the PIN on the ATM so it's not seen by cameras or shoulder-surfers.
edit on 8-7-2014 by engvbany because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

That's the reason people go to the ATM.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: engvbany

There are various techniques these people employ with regards to also obtaining your pin number. These can range from simple observation to plucking you pin out of the ether should you say use a wifi based keypad system in pubs, clubs or other such venues.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This could just be a practical move by banks to scare people away from using cards. Why not just insert bank sanctioned chips into the wrist or hand with all the info stored on that!

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Dreamkidd

Give it time, considering RFID chipping of humans has already been done. Its only a matter of time until its implemented globally regarding travel and other aspects of our everyday lives, finances included.

There is some mark of the beast implications there, pity help us when these chips are produced at the nano scale.

edit on 8-7-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: LightningStrikesHere The problem with using cash exclusively is that it is becoming a contraband item, get $5,000.00 cash then tell a cop you have it. Now you have $0 and a court case.

edit on 8-7-2014 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
The only time I ever had a problem with any kind of debit or credit account numbers being compromised was when I got into a bind with the cops and they had it in their possession.

A short time later someone used my debit card to purchase about $3000 worth of gift cards of the type you print out at home on your printer.

Pretty good scam, print out a bunch of gift cards for free with stolen information, go sell em in the parking lot of the store the gift card is for and only charge half price for them or something.

The police department that held it was eliminated for corruption so I have no real recourse regarding them, the bank refused to cover the last $91.00 so I cancelled the account.

I like cash over plastic too but don't live close to my credit union, I could find an affiliated credit union nearer by but it hasn't really become necessary just yet to do so.

I guess I had better stop putting it off...

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   

What use is credit/atm strip data without a password?

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: FairAndBalanced
The evil banksters refuse to implement the crossover which would be relatively easy to accomplish.
Some say its not 'cost effective' to make the change, but don't buy it.
There are far deeper reasons for their obstinate refusal to implement something that's been in the works for at least ten years, .

I deduce that the banks & CU's because of the Billion$ of costs in replacing ATM readers/ implementing a replacement code for the Swift Code & infrastructure now in place...then there are the 100s of millions of cards for accounts... the changeover would be more disruptive than the fairly rare thefts of monies in the existing system

I guess the 'cost prohibitive excuse' is leaving unspoken the $1-$10 per month for the new digital system that replaces the magnetic system of today...
So, the consumer complaint is from an untutored position....they are unwittingly begging for additional costs for a temporary Band-Aid to fix a forever recurring problem of theft

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

No use whatsoever, but its the magnetic strip that's the primary culprit regarding this type of scam once they have that there are other methods of also retrieving your Pin.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
lets face it the ONLY way for the average person not to get ripped off is CASH. any form of electronic currency can and will be exploited. anything connected to the internet can and will be hacked and thus exploited. i actually wonder if some of these reports of things attached to cash machines is a blatant misdirection on where the fault is. blame the people effected. for using their cards in stores and such that double scan your card, "well you should have insured you could see what they were doing, IT'S YOUR FAULT". or a device like this attached to a machine, or even a fake machine as have been found in malls and things that grab the information from unsuspecting people, "well you should not use a machine outside a bank, or check it out before, it's YOUR FAULT". or from online purchases, "well you shouldn't use your card online, IT'S YOUR FAULT". but wait a minute just how do they know how it has likely been done? easy when you have a problem they ask (or check), how your card is used and deduce from that how it might have happened, and how YOUR NEGLIGENCE is the reason. they have no clue at all only guesses all of which in the end can be said was your own fault it happened.

but what if in fact that is NOT what is happening at all, but it is just a smokescreen to allow them to blame you for it? who is to say some of these things found in their machines for example, have actually been planted there by them covering up what really happens? that the fault is actually their own security issues (but admitting to that puts the blame and liability for it onto them)? i am sure everyone remembers the security issues from i believe it was from Target(?) last Christmas. where it seems that THEIR systems were hacked into to gain the information. well is it far fetched to think that the banks themselves are also compromised? that perhaps a lot of this information is actually being obtained from the banks themselves, either through hacking or even theft by employees, or combination of the two? banks are connected to the internet, thus they are vulnerable to hacking since the only way to be sure that you can't be hacked is not to be connected at all. there are government agencies who themselves hackers like the NSA, there are all the hackers from China (and i bet every other country, both government sponsored and private). hacking is it's self a booming industry. and so just like every other business and person they are at risk for this. which in the end means YOU are at risk of this via the banks. as such it should be the banks left holding the bag when it comes to money being stolen out of their accounts, not the person, since there really is no way to tell just where, when and how that information has been stolen. this makes even more sense when you remember that bank machines are bank controlled, interact terminals are bank controlled, in fact the only banking type transaction that is not directly controlled by the banks is online, but they are still a part of it, and if security is not up to par they can remove the ability for whatever sites they are concerned about to use it.

in the end the only really secure form of payments is for consumers is cash. any other currant method is more than exploitable. yet even cash is exploitable (forgery) but that in the end is only to the detriment of the banks and government. gold coins would be more secure but even they can be manipulated by things such as "shaving" them down, and counterfeit using substandard grades. but both of those are both more secure than any form of electronic currency. yet many people don't have real access to banks other than machines due to banking hours being the same hours they are at work. at this point in time to get rid of bank machines would require banks be open 24/7 which has it's own issues involved. probably far easier in the end to just put any form of electronic theft liability onto the banks as they are the ones that have the control, and thus the real responsibility to insure that "electronic transactions" are as secure as possible.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join