It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten Incredible Unexplained Mysteries

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gideon70
a reply to: raedar

The pillar of Delhi is easily explained . Add an X amount of nickel to iron ( I can't remember the proportions ) and the iron will never rust.

The pillar must be a fluke . Made from iron ore that already contained nickel when mined.

However, the pillar is rusted. Admitted to by Erik VonDaniken in a Playboy interview in the 1970's. He included the claim in "Chariots of the Gods" and was called on it by the Playboy interviewer.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

originally posted by: Gideon70

The pillar of Delhi is easily explained . Add an X amount of nickel to iron ( I can't remember the proportions ) and the iron will never rust.

The pillar must be a fluke . Made from iron ore that already contained nickel when mined.

However, the pillar is rusted. Admitted to by Erik VonDaniken in a Playboy interview in the 1970's. He included the claim in "Chariots of the Gods" and was called on it by the Playboy interviewer.

Yep however I believe the pillar is corrosion resistant due to the presence of phosphorus not iron.

Study on that
In the study table 1 has an analysis of what elements are present on the surface and the interior of the pillar, based on four previous studies, in 1912, 1945 and two in 1963

In 1992 I visited the pillar and yeah it showed a number of rusting spots as I was able to examine it closely, this was before they placed a fence and guard on it to prevent people scratching it.
edit on 9/7/14 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock
I never heard of it until this post (The Voynich Manuscript) but
I downloaded a pdf of it as well as an analysis off the nsa.gov
website (didn't think I'd ever be downloading anything off that
website!)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: hydeman11

Yeah my first thought was that they look just like the giant's causeway in N. Ireland. Natural rock formations but pretty impressive nonetheless.

www.nationaltrust.org.uk...
edit on 9/7/2014 by MRM13 because: Added a bit more

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Several of these are not really mysteries.

But what do you mean with "Damascus Sword"?

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Here you go....Voynich Manuscript Cracked

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I would suspect they meant the method of making wootz style metal. The method still cannot be exactly recreated today although a number of people have claimed to have done so.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

Damascus steel....

sure it was great. We make better steel today, though.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah the only mystery was how they actually did it and also why it manufacture died out in the 18th century.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Great post! I have not heard of many of those mysteries. Wow it seems like the world is even MORE complicated and mysterious than we have ever fathomed.

I saw the Baigong Pipes picture and immeditly thought of Orgone, and how people use long metal pipes and put the pipes in a body of water inorder to make it rain and create rain clouds. Since the pipes were dipped in the lake 25 ft below, i think its a good hypothsis that these were used to manipulate the weather and make it rain.

Please google Orgone rainmaker for more details. Lots of evidence here.

Intesting link Orgone Rainmaker article (please do your own research for more info)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

i would have to do some searching to find it, but i read one paper that suggested that interruptions in the trade routes stopped the import of of Wootz steel. Since the ME didn't know how to make the steel from raw ore, they were left without the materials to make their products.

Now i want to look it up again. I should be able to this evening.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onion88
Great post! I have not heard of many of those mysteries. Wow it seems like the world is even MORE complicated and mysterious than we have ever fathomed.

I saw the Baigong Pipes picture and immeditly thought of Orgone, and how people use long metal pipes and put the pipes in a body of water inorder to make it rain and create rain clouds. Since the pipes were dipped in the lake 25 ft below, i think its a good hypothsis that these were used to manipulate the weather and make it rain.

These "pipes" are concretions formed around former tree roots.

Not likely to be rainmakers.

Harte

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

The Baigong Pipes are nothing special, They are a natural formation. They have a twin here in The California Sierra Nevada named The Devil's post pile. Still beautiful though. ~$heopleNation

Devil's Post Pile National Monument

edit on 10-7-2014 by SheopleNation because: Correction

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: SheopleNation

The Pillar of Delhi is nothing special, it's a natural formation. It has a twin here in The California Sierra Nevada named The Devil's post pile. Still beautiful though. ~$heopleNation

Devil's Post Pile National Monument

WTF are you talking about ,
Devils post pile is columnar basalt and is a natural volcanic formation. How is that a twin to a man made hot forged iron pillar, please explain. And I've been to D P many times , even fought a fire there years ago.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

It seems that Sheople looked at the pictures of the Pipes and thought it referred to the pillar. I'm sure it was a simple mistake, as the picture of the Pipes in the source was a picture of columnar basalts.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10

WTF are you talking about ,
Devils post pile is columnar basalt and is a natural volcanic formation. How is that a twin to a man made hot forged iron pillar, please explain. And I've been to D P many times , even fought a fire there years ago.

Calm down now, I meant the Baigong Pipes, not the Pillar of Delhi. So my mistake. Yeah I have Backpacked through the Devil's Post pile area. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Harte

Could you please elaborate? I am trying to understand. If they are "pipes" around tree roots then they can channel the "chi" or "orgone" eneregy up from the underground lake into the tree roots. Then the result would be extremely healthy trees. If the pipes protrude to the surface then possibly a rainmaker.

I could have the wrong image in my head, but if its how I describe then in theory that should be the effect. That effect has been and can be replicated today.

* are they even "pipes" or are they columns like we see at the devils post pile?
edit on 7/11/2014 by Onion88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Harte

Could you please elaborate? I am trying to understand. If they are "pipes" around tree roots then they can channel the "chi" or "orgone" eneregy up from the underground lake into the tree roots. Then the result would be extremely healthy trees. If the pipes protrude to the surface then possibly a rainmaker.

I could have the wrong image in my head, but if its how I describe then in theory that should be the effect. That effect has been and can be replicated today.

* are they even "pipes" or are they columns like we see at the devils post pile?

The roots are no longer there. The trees died eons ago.

Harte

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Onion88

Howdy,
I've read the wiki page on the Baigong Pipes, simply out of curiosity of this peculiar geologic feature... Perhaps I can give a broader explanation than Harte has? (Although he is not incorrect in how these pipes could be concretions...) I don't particularly know if I would call them concretions, though... When I think of concretions, I think of post lithification processes... But I could be wrong...
Anyway, it's well understood that modern trees make aid of acids precipitated by roots to dissolve minerals in soils to free nutrients. As they acidify, they obviously change the nature of a soil. Take a sample of dirt from a pine forest, see how acidic it is compared to the soil of say... a valley sitting over limestone beds... Either way, the roots acidify the soil around them, producing local oxidizing conditions which can free iron. Iron in solution will deposit/precipitate in reducing areas (most deep soil is a reducing environment). As the trees die, you can see that these conditions might give rise to a scenario in which iron is immobilized in a reducing environment surrounding the roots, creating localized areas of iron-rich soils. When this soil lithifies, the iron rich areas are likely going to be more corrosion resistant than the surrounding host rock, so as the rocks erode, these pipe like structures will survive. They will even begin to rust as the reduced iron is brought into an oxygen rich environment (near to the surface), giving greater appearance of a modern iron pipe.
Now, this is a simplified explanation, and one based largely on memory of courses I've taken, so exact details are kinda... fuzzy. Seeing as wikipedia didn't have a simple explanation, though, I hope this will suffice... Also, I've never seen the pipes, so keep in mind that this is just one theoretical possibility based on others' observations.
cheers,
Hydeman

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   

The most recent researchers to examine the pipes believe that the metallic phenomena are in fact fossilized tree root casts, the rusted tubes being the result of tree roots that underwent the processes of pedogenesis (the process that forms soils) and diagenesis (transformation of soil into rock). Further experiments confirmed that the pipes contain organic plant material and even microscopic tree rings. Overflow from an extinct lake once carried these roots to where they stand now.

Source: Atlas Obscura

Harte

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join