It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mid-Day Thoughts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The human race has been on this planet for many thousands of years, if not millions. Our earliest texts and stories are ones of strife, war, and suffering; more often than not the suffering is brought on by other human beings.

I often wonder how much more advanced we would be as a species if our minds weren’t so fractured. It seems like we are torn in a duality between emotion and logic.

When I turn on the news, or read a headline, there seems to be nothing but strife: religious wars, arguments between people with opposing sexual orientations, political agendas, domestic disputes, and arrogance galore.

It seems like so many different factions are working against each other, trying to fuel their own selfish desires, without ever trying to find an end for the conflicts.

Many times I have pondered about a way of life that would truly liberate me from the insane lifestyles that saturate the world. After years of study I have found that, for me, true liberation occurs when blending multiple beliefs together – basically fusing the ideals that best fit my life, and casting out of those that do not.

I have come to the conclusion that any law, governance, or practice that prohibits an individual from fully expressing their selves is inherently wrong – unless that expression would directly affect another’s life in a negative fashion (Negative fashion being anything that would physically harm another person).

Notice that in the above paragraph I didn’t include mental harm in my description of “negative fashion”. This is because our minds are our own. We are responsible for what goes into them, and what comes out of our mouths. We are also responsible for what we take to heart, and how we allow those things to adversely affect our minds.

Political correctness is a problem in today’s world. Such a stigma has been placed upon those who do not adhere to the guide lines of political correctness, that to voice an opinion that is in direct opposition to this concept is almost treated as hearsay.

The sad part to this is that many truths are not politically correct. Hiding behind political correctness only stagnates social evolution and balance. Political correctness, I believe, is one of the main problems of today’s world. It is used as a tool to keep people from expressing their ideas.

Some ideas are barbaric – and these are usually quickly shut down by the majority.

Other times ideas are truly enlightening, but are shut down by a minority that uses political correctness as a tool to silence their political enemies’ ideas.

If you are an atheist, why let a Christians', Islamists', or any religious stance bother you so much?

If you have sexual yearnings that are outside of the norm, why let another person’s opinion of your orientation rile you up so much that you demand their world view to change? Aren't you trying to force your ideas on someone, while at the same time being upset that they force their ideas on you?

I often think that true world peace will only come when people learn to accept their selves, without the approval of the flawed individuals around them….

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: MentorsRiddle

It all depends on where you look.

If you look around you can also see lots of harmony.

I see people obeying traffic laws without the policing forcing them. Just doing it because it works. I see people smiling, and helping one and other. I dropped money the other day without noticing it. And someone picked it up, and gave it back to me.

I see all that. And I live in New York City!

Sure, the MSM sells us another picture of the world. And some of those things are true to a degree. But mostly it's a picture that's sold to us as a method of control.

Human beings are social animals that like to live in harmony with others and their environment. We're not perfect. But we're not the brutal animals some claim we are either.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Great mid-day thoughts.

Many times I have pondered about a way of life that would truly liberate me from the insane lifestyles that saturate the world. After years of study I have found that, for me, true liberation occurs when blending multiple beliefs together – basically fusing the ideals that best fit my life, and casting out of those that do not.

This sounds about right. We use what beliefs we can work with, and remove those with which we cannot. It almost seems an act of pruning or grooming where notions are concerned.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

"I have come to the conclusion that any law, governance, or practice that prohibits an individual from fully expressing their selves is inherently wrong" ... The Law by Frederic Bastiat argue's that point. But today's world runs on money and those that have the money want it ruled their way. They want the population enslaved by usury to enrich them forever more. It doesn't have to be.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: MentorsRiddle

I have come to the conclusion that any law, governance, or practice that prohibits an individual from fully expressing their selves is inherently wrong – unless that expression would directly affect another’s life in a negative fashion (Negative fashion being anything that would physically harm another person).

You are right. Look at the Prohibition years in the USA. It gave rise to the mafia.

The strongest urge in an individual is the sexual urge and look at all the legislation brought on by the government to stop people from having sex freely.

Same applies to all other forms of expressions which are not harmful to others. Very often , laws are there to prohibit what is otherwise harmless but necessary for a healthy life.

A lot of unhappy , agressive teenagers are simply not getting enough opportunities to express themselves. Some government recognise this and build leisure centres which has the effect of reducing crime but they do not go far enough.

new topics

top topics

join