It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the 2012 hoax killed ufology?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalRazor
a reply to: BlueMule

What I get from what you're inferring, is more speculation and philosophy, than insight. Every important discovery man has made (And is making), was possible because we took a scientific and logical approach.

Yeah, and this topic requires a multi-disciplinary approach. But there are disciplines, such as literary science and parapsychology, that aren't invited to the party because of petty human weaknesses, like taboo.

edit on 974MondayuAmerica/ChicagoJuluMondayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: uninfluenced

Where in the world did you get the idea that 2012 myths were related to UFOs?

There was no grand unified theory on what 2012 predictions were. Most 2012 predictions I saw had nothing to do with extraterrestrials.

This subject has its ups and downs. The public didn't even get interested in the Roswell crash until the late 1970s. Thirty years after the event.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: uninfluenced

UFOlogy started to die from an uneventful life in the '90s when the Internet allowed people to communicate in forums such as this one. Before the Internet people learned about UFOs (NOT aliens!) mostly from the media. The Internet introduced visualness and everyone became a searcher for videos that would gratify themselves to others. Nothing much of interest was available so that opened the door to the hoaxers who spiced up the gravy.

Nobody sees aliens anymore. Nobody gets abducted. No implants have made the news.

R.I.P. UFOlogy

From a loyal enthusiast who has had at least six wonderful sightings, video'd one, and been at it since 1958. It used to be fun.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I believe if you go back over your thread so far, you'll see several people saying the same word over and over:

Internet.

While I'm not sure exactly why you picked 2012 as a date, the fact is, we (everyone around the world who have internet access) have been bombarded with all things UFO.

I too can remember as a kid (back when dinosaurs walked the Earth and Jimmy Carter was president) that if you wanted to know more about UFOs you had to go to the library, get some books, buy magazines, and if lucky, catch a docu on TV.

But now, for at least the last decade and a half, you have any and all things UFO at your finger tips. Any case, any sightings, any docus, anything there......and with YouTube and MUFON, you have almost instantly any new reports (be they fakes, hoaxes, confused, misidentified or the real McCoy) at your finger tips.

It's not that "nothing" is happening. It's: you're overwhelmed and are now numb to the subject.

When I was young, and new UFO report was almost a treat, a treasure, something that you could say: "Well now there's something you don't see everyday!"

But now......how many "new" UFO videos show up on YouTube?

We humans become "desensitized" to things when we become exposed to it over and over and over.

Can you remember a time when the only way to play an "video game" was to go to an arcade with a pocket full of coins?
Can you remember how neat and cool it was that people could walk around with a phone, or be driving in their car and use one?

In today's world, people are walking around with smart phones, with the power to look up damn near anything they need to on the spot, book hotel rooms, buy plane tickets, hell, buy ANYTHING with that phone. They can look up a picture or take one. They can watch a video or make one......and many, many more things, all with this very small, think rectangular object in their hands that would have freaked out people 20 years ago.

But now? Ha! Now we all take that wonderful and fantastic piece of technology for granted. The only time I see surprise on someone's face is when they find out I don't have one! LOL!

That I think that is your problem (and for many others too). It's just not something that seems as special and as mysterious anymore.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Sure, there may be some people who are bored and desensitized.

But that's not the case for most people. Most people are still really excited about this stuff. The last twenty years has been a boon time for UFOs. More books, more TV shows, more movies, popular radio shows, websites, podcasts, and on and on.

Because of that there's also been more attempts to ridicule and debunk. We've seen some of that in the thread. Including the classic "I used to believe ... but now I've seen the light" claims. That tactic is as old as ufology itself.

But the public remains interested in the phenomena. And in poll after poll the largest segment always claims they believe there's something real behind these stories.

edit on 8-7-2014 by Moresby because: Look a UFO!

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I assumed that by "2012 hoax" the OP was referring to all the videos and photos of: reflections of the sun in double glazing; cosmic ray strikes on SOHO images; jet contrails lit up by the sun; Hubble images of random deep-space objects; etc etc; all of which were all over the internet in the run-up to 2012 and claimed to be Nibiru/Elenin/Wormwood/some other harbinger of doom.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
If you like ufology don't dig too much !
I've lost about 10 of my finest
Bs detectors to ufology
Hey I even caught my bs ometer and my
Bs detector getting bs with each other
And they created a bsdeometer

And that lasted about 5 threads and exploded ! They was bs everywhere , it was up the walls across the windows on next doors cat .
Don't dig cos u might be unhappy with what u find !

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join