It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you think there have been more earthquakes...you're right!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Kind of funny how even your upgrade had a downgrade...from an 8.0 of course. I think the original 7.1 calculation was a serious mistake cause that's a pretty big difference from a 7 pointer to an 8 pointer. Oh well, thanks for showing me that one anyways.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

Kind of funny how even your upgrade had a downgrade...from an 8.0 of course. I think the original 7.1 calculation was a serious mistake cause that's a pretty big difference from a 7 pointer to an 8 pointer. Oh well, thanks for showing me that one anyways.

It was still upgraded above a 7. But that's ok keep moving the goal posts to fit your agenda.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

What I'm saying is that the original report of a 7-pointer upgraded to an 8-pointer came out as an error. That's a big difference in magnitude. It's pretty hard for the USGS to hide that one when every other agency is reporting an 8.0. Of course, they still downgraded it from an 8.0 to a 7.9 (to skew the numbers).

Actually, I think it is you that is trying to move the goal posts on this one. Accept it, man, there are very few upgrades compared to the many downgrades by the USGS.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Good thread and good to know they admit it's increasing.
There is more, and massive quakes are becoming more common.
I don't think this trend is going away. It could be randomness, but I think it's all this fracking around they're doing beneath the crust. We aren't supposed to be blasting through Rock to make roads and run pipes through. If I go into my cupboard and smash one little plate really hard, all the others start rattling around, most likely cracking.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity, Rez, who is a reputable source for you for quakes? EMSC? GEOFON? GSRC? And if your trusty source downgrades, is the USGS still untrustworthy?

I gave you a link to a pretty big list of agencies worldwide, Rez, surely one must be reputable to you. The magnitude varied depending on agency, and you didn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Why?

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

My point Nyiah, is that the USGS downgrades nearly all quakes while others of course, do occasionally downgrade. I don't deny that. Don't you think the rate of USGS downgrades is quite high? It is higher than other agencies, or am I wrong on that? Because of these downgrades, does that make them the most trustworthy...because they are taking the time (45 minutes) to get it right?

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: PinealJockey
Fracking fears grow in Oklahoma

From your link

The rise in earthquakes isn’t just happening in Oklahoma, challenging scientists and regulators across the country. The growth of seismic activity alongside oil production in fracking states from Colorado to Ohio has sparked a series of studies tying the temblors to drilling activity. Most seismologists around the country are convinced that wastewater injected back into the ground is jolting fault lines and triggering earthquakes. Between 2006 and 2012, the amount of wastewater disposed in Oklahoma wells jumped 24 percent, to more than 1 billion barrels annually, according to the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, which regulates the industry.

But of course, the deniers will still deny that earthquakes are on the rise. It doesn't matter how many articles, how much evidence, or how many times the earth shakes below their feet...they will still deny it. Regardless of the cause (fracking or melting ice), quakes are on the rise.

Here is another tidbit from your link;

So far this year, Oklahoma has had more than twice the number of earthquakes as California, making it the most seismically active state in the continental U.S. As recently as 2003, Oklahoma was ranked 17th for earthquakes. That shift has given rise to concern among communities and environmentalists that injecting vast amounts of wastewater back into the ground is contributing to the rise in Oklahoma’s quakes. The state pumps about 350,000 barrels of oil a day, making it the fifth largest producer in the U.S.

Fracking is a bad deal, but as I've said before, there is just too much money lining a lot of pockets, from lawmakers, land owners, oil and gas companies, to the many employed (not to mention the heating bills we've all seen reduced) that IMO, it's too late to stop this runaway train wreck. They will continue to frack and we will continue to shake, rattle and roll.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join