It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near Miss - Aviation Accident Averted

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Nochzwei

In the US separation is 30 seconds. So you can have one on the departure end of the runway taking off, while another is on the approach end landing.
Not really. What about wake turbulence in the event of a missed approach?

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

If you have a plane crossing 5,000 feet down a 10,000 foot runway, and a plane at 200 feet on final approach, there is no physical way they're going to hit. Even if the one crossing stops, the one landing should still have room to stop.

Thats all good… in retrospect.

With a bunch of passengers in the rear I'm in no mood to find out whatever that plane on my runway is up to.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I've watched then do it all the time. The only one they have to worry about with wake turbulence is the 757, which requires a two minute separation IIRC.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr----->You say you'd go ahead and land. Have you ever done that? Have you ever seen that happen in front of you?

Yes to both questions, having said that in my type of airplane (B737) we would have cleared the runway before the crossing A340, and a B767 would be able to stop should # happen.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Go around is the safe choice, but it wasn't the "near Tenerife" that I've seen people all over the net saying it was.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Go around is the safe choice, but it wasn't the "near Tenerife" that I've seen people all over the net saying it was.

Oh, I totally agree with that.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei
July 5 2014 at abrcelona Airport saw a near miss Watch

I would say the pilot of Aircraft on short finals did a great job, while it was a part of bad airmanship on the part of the pilot of the aircraft on the ground.
Do not have the atc transcripts

Since you weren't there and haven't bothered listening to the atc transcripts, what possible evidence could you have which leads you to condemn the pilot on the ground. How do you know that the guy in the air didn't ignore a "slow to 150 for traffic at the outer marker" call from Barcelona Approach. You do know that a landing aircraft has the right of way, right?

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy

originally posted by: Nochzwei
July 5 2014 at abrcelona Airport saw a near miss Watch

I would say the pilot of Aircraft on short finals did a great job, while it was a part of bad airmanship on the part of the pilot of the aircraft on the ground.
Do not have the atc transcripts

Since you weren't there and haven't bothered listening to the atc transcripts, what possible evidence could you have which leads you to condemn the pilot on the ground. How do you know that the guy in the air didn't ignore a "slow to 150 for traffic at the outer marker" call from Barcelona Approach. You do know that a landing aircraft has the right of way, right?
Lol evidence? Do you know the meaning of the word condemn and anything about airmanship? I guess not.
Landing a/c has right of way yes, but can do nothing but execute a missed approach, if something is on the runway. You do know that don't you?

BTW do you have the atc transcripts? Transcripts are written words, so you cannot listen to them. You do know that, don't you?

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Redux: Those planes almost played bumper-cars out there. The people filming were in the right place at the right time, good catch all around.

A stop-motion reenactment, courtesy of Toys Iz Us:

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
What amazed me was just how long the incoming pilot took
to notice there was a # plane crossing the runway!

Great post.

Rebel 5

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Personally I wouldn't have cared if I was xx thousand feet away, the fact is that if I was in charge of insuring the safety of the hundreds of passengers on that plane landing I would have went around. Regardless of whether these aircraft would have been safe in normal circumstances , if something had went wrong the outcome could have been disastrous.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This is the original youtube I think, the OP's has been taken down.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: rebelv
What amazed me was just how long the incoming pilot took
to notice there was a # plane crossing the runway!

Great post.

Rebel 5

I think you'd need to be in the cockpit to know the pilot's reaction time. I think it was pretty quick, a Boeing 767 is not exactly a Ferrari, and it was trimmed for a landing, I also think he made the right decision, no matter what anybody says. On final approach the runway belongs to he/she, and there should be no runway incursions at all, and also that pilot should not have the need to consider what the pilot on the ground is going to do next, except to expect anything.
I'll add to that, both planes had been cleared by ATC for their functions, and it seems that an enquiry has been initiated.
"On Jul 8th 2014 the Russian pilots reported that following the occurrence Spain's ATC apologized to them stating that a clearance to cross after the landing aircraft had been issued AFTER the landing clearance had been transmitted."
edit on 8-7-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy
I agree with you. The pilot made the right decision to go back around
as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not a pilot, so I can't comment on weather or not he could have
landed safely.

Rebel 5

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I don't think anyone has said it wasn't the right decision. More that it wasn't as close as it looks, and they COULD have landed safely.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: DodgyDawg
Personally I wouldn't have cared if I was xx thousand feet away, the fact is that if I was in charge of insuring the safety of the hundreds of passengers on that plane landing I would have went around. Regardless of whether these aircraft would have been safe in normal circumstances , if something had went wrong the outcome could have been disastrous.

Quite right, I wouldn't give monkeys and would go around, if I thought that this landing cannot be done safely for whatever reason
There are no second chances in flying and everything has to be done, first time right.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I don't think anyone has said it wasn't the right decision. More that it wasn't as close as it looks, and they COULD have landed safely.
Is there another video that shows differently?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join