It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KFC ad in spansih?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

I love rice...and Schnitzel!

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

English has been the one language that has united us all, not separated us. It wouldn't be fair to have people come here legally and be forced to speak English AND Spanish. Do we wish to be united or divided?

United....lol

It was an English speaker on ATS that labeled me a "people like you"....how does that kind of discrimination unite us?
Insults in any language are still insults.

It took awhile but now I wear the "people like you" designation as a source of pride.

btw....Spanish was spoken here in New Mexico a hundred years before the first English speaker set foot in the "Land of Enchantment" or Texas.

If you don't want to be confronted by Spanish signs, place names, and Hispanics here or anywhere in the American southwest: I suggest you stay home.

Buena suerta, buenota!!
edit on 6-7-2014 by olaru12 because: O_o

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
They are trying to get the kids in those immigrant detention centers to ask for KFC. I bet they get to watch TV there so they keep out of trouble. Give them some KFC and they may try to sneak back in when they are deported to get some more.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: 2manyholes
If you live in Florida that is not uncommon unfortunately. It is one of my petpeeves. This is the United States and our language in English. If you want to live here you should learn the language.

Recently I recieved a brochure in the mail and it was in Spanish. Where it wanted me to fill in my info I wrote, "If you want my business write in English, this is the United States and we speak English!" The following week I recieved another brochure from the company and this time it was in English.

It irks me to no end that businesses think if you live anywhere below Orlando that you're probably Spanish speaking.

Technically, I live south of Orlando's latitude and I call BS. Unless you flipped the channel to a Spanish-language station, you're not likely to see much advertising in Espanol, amigo. I've got a Bravo supermarket right down the road, and even their adverts don't come to my mailbox in Spanish, so if the Latin American grocery store isn't spamming me en Espanol, it's not as big a deal as you think. If anywhere, Spanish is going to be most prevalent in Miami due to the Cuban community.

And we don't have an official language in the US anyway. I propose we draw straws for it, and consider Portuguese as a candidate, muito mais agradavel ao ouvido
(I'm very rusty & out of practice, I think I said that right) Nah, I'm yanking you, calm down.

I'd get into the language history of the US, but someone would likely complain and whine that we "speak English now, so who cares". Natives aside, technically, Floridians spoke Spanish long before English, so you should care. It's our own history, FFS.
edit on 7/6/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
If we all learned a Native American language when we all came, then we should all be speaking a Native American language now. I would be fine with that. I don't believe that any foreigner should demand another Country to speak their language. I'm not the one who made the rules and most of us today speak English and they are fighting to get bills passed to make it the official language. None of us alive today had anything to do with what language should be spoken here. That was over 200 years ago.

In my last place of employment we had people who spoke Spanish, or an African, or Asian language or the language of people from India. They all also spoke English. There were 3 Spanish speaking people who didn't understand English. When the Spanish speakers decided to speak in English, all cultures understood and spoke with one another, got along and laughed and shared things. Many times they would resort back to just Spanish and all the others were offended by that as they didn't do it themselves. They said it was disrespectful. I would joke with them and say fine you don't want the white girl to know what's going on? They would laugh and then speak English again. LOL

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Don't bring up that other cultures lived here before us owl, that is not important.

Tell that to my ancestors...they might think differently.

What's not important is getting worked up over an advertisement targeting a group that pays in cash.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

If you don't want to be confronted by Spanish signs, place names, and Hispanics here or anywhere in the American southwest: I suggest you stay home.

I don't live anywhere near the border. I am sorry if some members were rude to you. There is no need for that kind of behavior here.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Don't bring up that other cultures lived here before us owl, that is not important.

Tell that to my ancestors...they might think differently.

What's not important is getting worked up over an advertisement targeting a group that pays in cash.

The people who speak the other 200 languages or so also pay cash.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
While we're on the subject of a country's lingua franca, maybe we all could use a quick reminder of how brief that common language can be? Does anyone remember the Roman Empire? Latin, perhaps? Along with Greek, Latin was the lingua franca for the empire, and now look at Latin. It's no longer Top Dog, it's barely spoken at all. English could well go that way as well, resting in the annals of time with other former bridge languages (remember Aramaic's height?) The language humans use to communicate with changes over time, be it a change in the local dialect, or a full change in the common language across a land. A rise in Spanish doesn't bother me much, that's just the way things go over time with spoken language. After all, proper French isn't dominant in Louisiana anymore, is it?

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

If you live in Florida that is not uncommon unfortunately. It is one of my petpeeves. This is the United States and our language in English. If you want to live here you should learn the language.

Recently I recieved a brochure in the mail and it was in Spanish. Where it wanted me to fill in my info I wrote, "If you want my business write in English, this is the United States and we speak English!" The following week I recieved another brochure from the company and this time it was in English.

It irks me to no end that businesses think if you live anywhere below Orlando that you're probably Spanish speaking.

You live in Orlando, Florida.

Orlando is an Italian name.
Florida is a Spanish word (means "flowering", roughly).
Both of which are in "America"... another Italian word.

You seriously believe that you should only speak English in a place called "Orlando, Florida"? We have no official language. Get over it.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Didn't make the sarcasm clear, I apologize
I think it is an incredibly important point and one that gets pushed under the rug in any immigration debate
edit on thSun, 06 Jul 2014 21:24:17 -0500America/Chicago720141780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Dinero Mexicano es sólo tan verde como dinero gringo.
Mexican money is just as green as gringo money.
I live in southern Texas. It comes in handy to know a little Spanish in this neck of the woods.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Its time the New World Order came up with a better definition of the international language known as English. I prefer the term 'Intra' as American or as for myself being Australian are considered by the English not to actually speak English...

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: subtopia
Its time the New World Order came up with a better definition of the international language known as English. I prefer the term 'Intra' as American or as for myself being Australian are considered by the English not to actually speak English...

Good point. The Brits aren't far off when they complain that we're mangling the language. Americans can barely spell, let alone speak English on this side of the pond

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo
You assume much my friend, I never said I lived in Orlando only that I live in Florida. And if one lives South of Orlando it's not uncommon to to recieve mailings or hear advirtisements in Spanish.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

So you call bs, in other words you think I'm lying,nice, you don't even know me.

I do not lie Nyiah. I have recieved phone calls from businesses, recieved mailings and store flyers all in Spanish. It's a strong assumption of these businesses.

You would do well to hold your tongue when you don't know someone before you call BS, just a FYI for you.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: NonsensicalUserName

I have no problem with what others speak. But if you want to communicate with English speaking people in a country whose language is English then it should be learned. When a business sends flyers and does advertiements in Spanish they are excluding people. In this case they exclude natural born citizens.

I know I rankle people with my thoughts on this. Maybe it's just I'm old school and remember when rarely did you hear anyone speak anything but English here and those that didn't were at least attempting to learn the language.

If you've ever been to Miami you'll understand what it's like to feel like you don't belong in your own country. I needed help once at the airport, I could not get anyone to speak English with me to help me and spent over 1 hour trying to find the place I needed to be. I also encountered rudeness from the people I sought out to get help becasue I did not speak Spanish. Relaxing would not have helped.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: 2manyholes

I didn't imply, nor say, you were lying. I'm saying you are overreacting. You made a very broad statement that doesn't exactly pan out, and I called you out on it. So what? Why the defensiveness over one mailer?

Are you by chance a transplant? Serious question, not a jab. Most natives down here, even the most redneck ones, don't get their nose bent over mundane things like this.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

a reply to: NonsensicalUserName

I have no problem with what others speak. But if you want to communicate with English speaking people in a country whose language is English then it should be learned. When a business sends flyers and does advertiements in Spanish they are excluding people. In this case they exclude natural born citizens.

I'm sorry the world changed around you and surprised you. I'm a natural born citizen and I speak Spanish and English. I find the diversity of language and culture exciting and beautiful. I'm sorry you feel threatened but this country is changing in its demographic and it's not going to change.

Sorry amigo, change is inevitable.
edit on 7-7-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Why not make an ad in Spanish, they've been making them in Ebonics for a decade.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join