It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurt blood donors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well...I am one of the hurt blood donors. There is a lot of talk that giving a blood for donation is not harmful for your health and you can do this safely for many, many years without complication in functioning of organism.

I suspect that because of giving blood once for 3 months caused some autoimmune conflicts and level of my hormons grew from TSH=1,6156 in September 2011 to TSH=5,150 in December 2013. Now it's TSH=3,810 ater taking for 3 months Levothyroxinum natricum 25.

I feel in love in a idea of giving for sick people blood and I even signed up to bone marrow donors bank and I as accepted internationally, but unfortunately I've got letter with that positive message in time of being diagnosed with hypothyreosis

Well, in 2011 I've got a thick braid, beautiful hair and in the time when I started giving a blood from March 2012 to August 2013 (fifth and the last time) I lost thousands of hair and then I found out about hypothyreosis.

Is it possible that blood donors or bone marrow donors can suffer serious consequences of blood giving idea?
What are your experiences or your family members?

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AnnieWolf19

Given blood for the last 8 years and also gave bone marrow a few months back.
I have suffered no problems what so ever.
Maybe your diet?.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnnieWolf19
Well...I am one of the hurt blood donors. There is a lot of talk that giving a blood for donation is not harmful for your health and you can do this safely for many, many years without complication in functioning of organism.

I suspect that because of giving blood once for 3 months caused some autoimmune conflicts and level of my hormons grew from TSH=1,6156 in September 2011 to TSH=5,150 in December 2013. Now it's TSH=3,810 ater taking for 3 months Levothyroxinum natricum 25.

I feel in love in a idea of giving for sick people blood and I even signed up to bone marrow donors bank and I as accepted internationally, but unfortunately I've got letter with that positive message in time of being diagnosed with hypothyreosis

Well, in 2011 I've got a thick braid, beautiful hair and in the time when I started giving a blood from March 2012 to August 2013 (fifth and the last time) I lost thousands of hair and then I found out about hypothyreosis.

Is it possible that blood donors or bone marrow donors can suffer serious consequences of blood giving idea?
What are your experiences or your family members?

Correlation does not equal causation. Please don't second guess your noble donations (and thank you for your generosity). Hypothyroid happens to many women as they age and I think it's coincidental.9

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Lack of iodine in a food can cause it, also its much age related. What quite often doctors look at is that TSH and normal goes somewhere 0.4 to 4.5, what they quite often ignore is T4.
People who have the symptoms of hypothyreosis but have TSH in "normal" values can suffer from clinical hypothyreosis when symptoms are there but TSH shows about normal. TSH hormone boosts thyroid to produce free hormones T4 and T3 hormones these are the hormones which are important to metabolism.
To some thyroid medicines which boost TSH and contains T4 does not work and medicines which are extracted from animals like "armour" which contains T4, T3, T2, T1 and calsitonin works. If your doctor only looks at TSH you need to get another opinion.

I wish i could give some blood but according our requirements i can´t, i don´t weight enough i have just a tad overactive thyroid ( tsh 0.27 ) but my blood would be suitable for all 0-..

Why you don´t qualify as a donor is that your blood might have too much thyroid hormones due the medicin you take. What you take is functioning about 24 hours and amounts of free thyroid hormones in your body isn´t the same all that time.

Adding. Hypothyreosis is also autoimmune disease, you have developed a resistance to thyroid hormones to act properly thats why in your system there is more hormones than normal healthy person needs.
edit on 6-7-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I gave blood twice. The first time I slept for thirty six hours. The second time I slept for 48 hours. My wife almost called the ambulance the second time. I have hypovolemia, or low blood volume. When my blood goes low, I sleep a long time till I rebuild it I guess. I was out and couldn't be woken up. The third time I went in I was all hooked up and I asked the guy taking blood if that was normal. He said no and chuckled and looked at the blood chart. He started taking out the needle and said don't ever let anyone talk me into donating again. He said I don't make blood right. If I wouldn't have mentioned it, and if he didn't look at the chart, I wonder what would have happened. He told me the name back then but I didn't remember what it was, but remembered the name when I read about low blood volume.

Doctors did not seem to believe what the guy said when I mentioned it when they wanted blood for testing, even though he was a professional. I tried to get the records last year, but that was a long time ago and they don't keep records that long. It was around 87. It's strange that they don't believe real evidence yet they have no evidence that it is not true. It is hard to test for this I guess, it needs a couple of draws to see a pattern. I'll believe evidence before someone's opinion.

If a person does not have enough blood volume, there is not enough other stuff circulating either. The heart usually beats much faster to pump less blood. My normal resting heart rate is about one ten. It has to do with creating adequate amounts of functional red blood cells, some people have lower enzyme levels so make less blood cells than others. Usually a reduction of twenty five or fifty percent is common. Now, think about what transports some necessary blood chemistry. Think about what reduced oxygen to the thyroid could do.

edit on 6-7-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   

I was having autoimmune issues long before I ever donated blood and, as an O neg, I donated blood for the first time when I was 17 and a whole lot thereafter as there was always a critical shortage (around every 6 weeks). I had autoimmune problems erupt when I was 13 in a very plain and detectable manner. The only connection the two things have ever had was the autoimmune disease getting to the point where I was permanently blacklisted from donation due to a ridiculous number of natural killer T cells. The disease absolutely preceded the donations and were not connected.

There are all sorts of things that can cause issues with the thyroid. Blood donation is probably not the source. If it were, then considering how frequently I donated, I should have a problem with my thyroid as well but my thyroid is one of the few things that works perfectly in my body, lol.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Thank YOu all for sharing your view on blood donation subject

Well, I suspect that giving a blood could cause my autoimmune problems with thyroid, because I started loosing lots of hair in time of giving blood and when i checked my TSH it was more than 4,0.
But for sure you are right that blood donation is save and maybe there is another cause of my problems. In the case of autoimmune diseases.

I would like to continue giving my blood for others, but now it's impossible. Well I was even accepted to share my bone marrow

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

At the very best, I would expect that you had a problem already and donation only manifested it. I can't imagine what in blood donation could do to someone unless they were having production problems to begin with

good luck though...get well

new topics

top topics

join