It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you rather sit and think or get shocked? You'd be surprised

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I could do this. Did they have to sit silently? Although, if I come up empty I'd probably fall back on talking to myself or invent an imaginary friend to talk to. I might go as far as Fred in preparing for a space mission in this Rocketman Isolation Chamber Scene. Although I don't think I'd paint with tube food like he did later.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
It would be more of a "shock" to me to find folks that actually think and want to think. As a few posters here mentioned, they DO think and even enjoy alone time to be with their own thoughts and to ponder things and I admire that and was glad to read those comments! However, the great majority of folks today need outside stimulation and almost seem in horror of being left to their own thoughts or just being alone, period. I find many of that ilk self medicate to fill in the blanks...the blank space that is their mind. They end up in their own little dream world of their own making. If they live to be a ripe old age, they may someday actually exercise that ole gray matter long enough to contemplate/think/wonder where their lives went and think about all they missed.

Time is so fleeting and turning off and tuning out our thoughts is a mistake...a road not taken. Knowledge and experience is part of life and makes us who we are. Vegging out on games and tv and daydreams and self medicating all just turn us into mindless zombies.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

Yes I believe they had to sit silently in a barren room with only their thoughts. I have no problem being alone it is the sitting silently that I found difficult. I could do it outdoors no problem but being in a barren room with no scenery I am not so sure. I tried it in my computer room with everything except the light off. I kept thinking of stuff I needed to do and as soon as the 15 minutes were up I got to it.

Of course one could meditate however that isn't anywhere near doing what they asked. That would still be doing something.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

Yes I believe they had to sit silently in a barren room with only their thoughts. I have no problem being alone it is the sitting silently that I found difficult. I could do it outdoors no problem but being in a barren room with no scenery I am not so sure. I tried it in my computer room with everything except the light off. I kept thinking of stuff I needed to do and as soon as the 15 minutes were up I got to it.

Of course one could meditate however that isn't anywhere near doing what they asked. That would still be doing something.

I don't see how meditating is in anyway different than sitting and thinking. For some people meditating is simply sitting still and concentrating on something...like inhaling or exhaling...focusing on a thought or object....or imagining a scene playing out in your mind. I just can't believe that that is so hard for people to do, could only wish for more time in the day to enjoy it.

You don't have to empty your mind completely to meditate.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Interestingly enough this topic made it to one of the yoga sites I like to visit. There are some good tips for meditating plus links to other yoga related topics.

Wholesome Resources, Julie T. Lusk

wholesomeresources.com...

Hope you find something helpful there.

Namaste,
YogaGinns
edit on 17-7-2014 by YogaGinns because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join