It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are english footballers overpaid spoilt brats?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Working class, if you will.

Didn't see much English football in those days. Saw a lot of German football, though. To this day, I'm still a Muchengladbach (sp?) fan.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: cass1dy09
Well it is called the beautiful game? How about basketball where LeBron, Wade, and Bosh who are all making close to $20million a year still opted out of their contracts for more..

They had to opt out or the team couldn't sign any more players...
A team can only spend around 60 mil for their team this year, with the big three taking up almost 99% of that there was no choice.
Of course lebron has came out and said he wants max which is 20 mil. But if the other 2 stay with the team they will probably take a cut.
Only lebron opted out to make more, the other two opted to make space so they could sign players they could win with.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Football was great in the 70's, 80's and even the early 90's.

But once Sky got involved and major multi-national corporations started investing billions into the game it was ruined.
Then came the foreign oligarchs and oil men and the game bears little resemblance to the one which I grew up watching, playing and loving.

I could go on for ever about the failings in the structure of English football and the adverse effect of all of the money but I'm not sure this is the correct place to do so.

But the footballers are surrounded and protected in their own little bubble.
Their every whim is catered for and they believe their own publicity etc.
They are so removed from the lives and concerns of the supporters.
Too many appear to lack passion for the game and the team they represent and those who support them, sometimes to fanatical extents.

Sadly they and the state of the game are merely a reflection of a greater malaise within our country.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

How much is ManU worth now? Billions? Tens of...?

Multi-nationals go where the money is to be made.

It is what's wrong with sports today. There is far, far too much money in it. But...it is what it is. I still love the game, because enough teams still play it the way it supposed to be played.

Here in the states, the MLS seems to be catching on, and the money is still not obscene yet. That's why we get the washed up David Beckhams, rather than the Messi's... For which I'm glad. I prefer to see home grown players play the game.

Thank god there isn't a New York Cosmos here in the states, that bring in high priced players that actually hurt what they're attempting to do, build football here in the states.

Sorry.

I've gone and taken it completely off the topic of English football sissies...

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: uninfluenced

Absolutely over paid, I am not a great fan of the game for that very reason, these guys get paid huge amounts of money for 90 mins of exercise, some people pay to do the same at gyms lol

Also a lot of these guys behave in a disgusting manner. Countless times i have seen footballers up in court for rape,assault,sexual assault and so on and no i am not saying all footballers are like this but it would appear an above normal amount are.

I say lower there wages and make them work for it.

I got it pay them minimum wage then 1k for every goal scored and 1 mill for every game won, that way you can bet there gonna work there arses off to win and score goals

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
even as recent as 1996 1998 the england team were on a fraction of the wages and gave it their all

now since mid - late 2000s, its a bunch of over paid spoilt brats

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Probably !

BUT.....if the dopey fans are willing to pay their wages, and T.V. Companies also indulge them with large payments for T.V rights, ( They are just businesses after all, and nothing to do with sport whatsoever.)

Then who can blame the footballers ?

Applies to most sports nowadays, ... just businesses.

Wake up, Joe Public....

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrJohnSmith
Probably !

BUT.....if the dopey fans are willing to pay their wages, and T.V. Companies also indulge them with large payments for T.V rights, ( They are just businesses after all, and nothing to do with sport whatsoever.)

Then who can blame the footballers ?

Applies to most sports nowadays, ... just businesses.

Wake up, Joe Public....

Same goes for basketball thugs - never saw such a collection of criminals paid so much and pampered so much

American football players are also spoiled brats and a wonderful collection of thugs

I quit watching basketball which I used to follow because the teams mostly consist of pampered women abusers, self entitled to the point of feeling violence against others is justified, tattooed to the point of difficult to look at, and foul mouthed

I used teach college level and had a lot of athletes in my classes, have to say american football players were normally not the brightest bulbs and got into trouble because of that;
basketball players were arrogant snots who thought the world had to bow to them; I did worry about one of them being violent after he took only 1 of the five exams and scored 25% and he blamed me for flunking the class;
but the only soccer player I had was nice - however - the school made me send my exams through them and magically the soccer player was the only person ever to score 100% on all 5 exams I gave in that class even though his attendance was spotty

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: uninfluenced

Undoubtedly so!

A more pertinent question is why we put up with it?

Is there anything that can be done about it for as long as SKY are pumping BILLIONS of GBP into the league?

Now (allegedly) with Balotelli, clubs (Liverpool) are bowing down to prima-donnas by giving them a hefty incentive bonus to BEHAVE!

Maybe I should ask for that from my employer the next time my contract is up for renewal!

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Forget the Primadonna League, League 2 is where it's at. The players are real people and the action is good. My club only has one foreigner on the books.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join