It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IN search of...a compact .45 for CCW.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Get a commander size of whatever brand fits good in your hand (if smaller is what you want). Throw away whatever mags it comes with and by some Wilson Combat mags and now you are set. I have smaller hands and always have had a great fit with Smith & Wesson and Sig Sauer handguns. I own several of each from a small S&W Shield .45 up to a full size Sig 1911 TACOPS. Don't get discouraged, go to some gun shows and find one that fits and buy it. The smaller frame the more kick in a .45acp but I prefer the .45 round over the .40 and 9mm depending on the environment I am operating in (well, back in the day anyway). I have been in many parts of the world in all kinds of weather conditions from wet every day for a month to dry/sand and hot as hades. Now that I'm a private citizen I mostly carry either my M&P .45 compact or the Sig TACOPS 1911. Opinions are all over the place on this subject. I have friends in some "three letter" jobs that swear by Springfield 1911's and that's fine, Springfield makes good stuff to.

Bottom line is if you want compact get compact...get what fits in your hand and know how to shoot it with both hands and how to take it down and put it back in service. Everyone has their favorite brand and caliber so listen and get what YOU like.

Carry on......

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BugOut

Size matters LoL

I carry a Springfield Microcompact .45 (loaded model) and it's short grips were a pain with the rosewood panels that came with the gun. I replaced them with a set of Monkegrips and I have never fired a (or carried) a more comfortable pistol.

Granted it's only 6 shots per mag but that is the sacrifice for small guns.

As has been mentioned time after time. Try out a few different makes and models before you buy and practice, practice, practice.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: BugOut
Get a commander size of whatever brand fits good in your hand (if smaller is what you want). Throw away whatever mags it comes with and by some Wilson Combat mags and now you are set. I have smaller hands and always have had a great fit with Smith & Wesson and Sig Sauer handguns. I own several of each from a small S&W Shield .45 up to a full size Sig 1911 TACOPS. Don't get discouraged, go to some gun shows and find one that fits and buy it. The smaller frame the more kick in a .45acp but I prefer the .45 round over the .40 and 9mm depending on the environment I am operating in (well, back in the day anyway). I have been in many parts of the world in all kinds of weather conditions from wet every day for a month to dry/sand and hot as hades. Now that I'm a private citizen I mostly carry either my M&P .45 compact or the Sig TACOPS 1911. Opinions are all over the place on this subject. I have friends in some "three letter" jobs that swear by Springfield 1911's and that's fine, Springfield makes good stuff to.

Bottom line is if you want compact get compact...get what fits in your hand and know how to shoot it with both hands and how to take it down and put it back in service. Everyone has their favorite brand and caliber so listen and get what YOU like.

Carry on......

Holy Smokes! I feel like I should go shopping for clothes with you.

But you are right and dead on. If it is comfortable...buy it!

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now." 

-Col. Robert J. Coates

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

originally posted by: BugOut

Carry on......

Holy Smokes! I feel like I should go shopping for clothes with you.

But you are right and dead on. If it is comfortable...buy it!

I agree ... but there should be one additional major consideration. A gun should shoot naturally. You can tell if that is working only from your first couple of draws. After that you're probably compensating. If your initial rounds are not on target, no matter how comfortable that firearm feels in your hands, it's not the right one. I don't know how many times I've seen the look of dawning disappointment creep across somebody's face when that realization settles in.

If you've bought the wrong handgun (or the right one for that matter) the best thing you can do is practice.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Wow, thanks for all the great replies. I like personal recommendations rather than just magazine endorsements.
I am not really opposed to other calibers, but I have a K&K USP .45 which was my first "real handgun" and I love it. I also have a 1911 colt that I like. They are just a bit too big, bulky, and heavy to tote around all the time.

I guess I was expecting the other sub compacts to be comfortable like a big gun, but most were not. I think the Glock isn't far from it's larger size brothers, but I just didn't feel right with it.

I think the 1911 spoiled me.

I will need to look at the Para Ordinance model. That one never even came up on the radar.

Thanks again for all the experience.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I tend to not go down the road of recommending weapons in particular. There are many out there with a decent pedigree and service history. Every individual should choose a weapon particular to his/her needs.

If you, however, could afford the ticket price on an H&K USP .45, then I think your choices are greatly expanded when it comes to choosing a compact or subcompact firearm in a comparable caliber. The Kimber model you mentioned is probably in that general neighborhood.

Para Ordnance makes some fine 1911 style weapons. But for the MSRP of $1399 you could do much better with less.
Kimber is also in that general ballpark. These weapons are custom, high-end carry firearms.

Honestly if I had one of these I would probably just hang it on a wall to look at like a museum piece.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The Kimber I looked at was $850, so not terrible at all. It's just the other sub compacts were all in the $500 range. So while I was discussing the price difference with my wife, she started to talk about the jewelry that $850 could by and the discussion quickly changed.

I like the .45acp since one round is usually sufficient to stop just about anyone. If I was worried about rounds downrange, I would get a calico .22LR. I just think that if the weapon isn't comfortable, it won't be fun to shoot. I hope to spend any shooting time enjoying killing paper and cans. (I'd prefer to never have to find out what it's like to take a human life)

Thanks again for your knowledge.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

When I spend $1399 on a lead launcher...you can be darn tootin' that I will shoot it at the range every chance I get. Buying a new firearm, and hoping it gains value over time is just silly. Yes, it's an investment, but not that big of one in the long run.

'60's Muscle cars on the other hand...

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Well hell! You screwed up big time! Unless the Mrs. is a weapons aficionado, don't get her involved. Little lesson here.

When me and my ex were going through the monthly bills, she raised the point that she thought I spent to much money on beer.

"100 dollars on beer every month!" she yelled. (I have expensive tastes when it comes to beer)

I returned my attention to the receipts and tallied them up. I calmly laid them out and point out that her make up and jewelry were costing us $160.00 a week.

"But that's so I can look good for you." was her reply.

"What do you think the beer was for?"

She became my ex soon after.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

nice.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I will doubtless be criticized for this, but I'd suggest you look at the hickock45 videos on youtube. That's what I've been doing and I've decided to test fire the Glock 27, (.40 S&W) and the Glock 26, (9mm). Hickock does a side be side comparison shoot-out test with both and his comment is that the Glock 27 has noticeably more kick and consequent barrel whip than the Glock 26.

I sized the Glock 27 and it fits perfectly in my hand. The two guns are said to be identical in size it's just that the Glock 26 is machined for a different caliber than the Glock 27.

Check out the hickock45 videos for the Kahr PF9, the Ruger LC9, you'll note that Hickock isn't as near accurate with any of these. The problem is the length of trigger pull on the Ruger LC9; it would take a lot getting used to. Whatever you do, find a rental range and test fire before buying.

Also, check out the Sneaky Pete conceal carry holsters for summer wear. Based upon research I'd avoid the leather model if you live in a high humidity/high heat area.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I use to carry a .45 but over the years, I realize it is just a little too big.

I now carry the Ruger .380-w/ laser everywhere I go and love it.

No big bulk or weight.

I still have the .45 cause when it hits, I won't be worried about bulk, weight or CCW permits....

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
My greatest fear is I will die and my wife will try and sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

if you start to feel poorly, let me know.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I'm making that into a T-shirt bugout. absolutely hilarious!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I bought the Springfield XDS. I am getting used to the size of the frame, and I admit, I am not a fan of the trigger pull, but the gun shoots very well. Recoil is minimal, and accuracy is very good. I put a few boxes of fiocci 230 grain FMJ rounds through it and had no misfires. The weapon will fit in my pocket.

So far, I am impressed. Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
No specific recommendations. However, I will say this. I am not a large guy (5'10" 165 lbs) I carry a full size 1911 any time I'm not at work. I do property maintenance/remodeling and it is a little bulky for that. When I'm at work, I carry a 2" 5 shot .357. Either will get the job done and with either I have a minimum of 17 rounds on hand any time my pants are on. lol Both of my regular carry handguns will conceal well under a t shirt one size larger than I would wear if i weren't carrying, but I carry ALL the time.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiedDestructor
Have you had any reliability issues with yours?

It's very reliable, and surprisingly accurate... I carried it for a couple of weeks a while back after I flew into SC sans artillery. I even ran it through the qualifying section of a local CCW class just for giggles, it performed well and I got more than a couple "holy %$#@&*%" looks from some of the students... Just to annoy semp, I cleaned it before I gave it back...

For the record, his is a Canadian PO Hawg, not one of the just reintroduced Remington family PO Hawgs.

My everyday carry is a Springfield XDm Compact 3.8 in .45 ACP with a Powder River Precision trigger job and Truglo TFO sights.

For any of these "larger" so called "compacts" a good gun belt is mandatory...

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Mirthful Me

Are you happy with the trigger work you had done? My only complaint with the XDS is the trigger pull.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join