It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Camera Of A Soldier That Died In A 1944 Battle Was Just Found. Wait Til You See What Was On It.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer
Very nice. Amazed the roll of film is still good.

Real pictures. Not hollywood. (Confession: it's possible the picture taker negotiated with some of them to do small things.)

What haunts me is those guys were a young you and me.

I liked the "WW2 In Color" on the history channel. They converted the pictures and film to color and chronicled it on the show.
edit on 7-7-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

This story is a confirmed hoax.

The photos have been 'shopped', see page 2...

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

What part is unbelievable? I am afraid I missed something.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Second image.....in the sky?

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
That's amazing that the film survived underground so long and could still be developed.

Yeah.

Can't imagine a new cell phone, or dslr out in the weather for 70+ years.

Still being viable like that roll of film.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I didn't find them at all "haunting" Rather interesting, but as someone else said..The pictures are "cold" and I can relate to it, living in Canada and all haha.

But yes, It's pretty impressive that these lasted so long and didn't deteriorate over time!

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Few countries would have been spared from the spread of the Nazis.

So I suppose that your grandparents or earlier family members were hunkered down safe as could be in some distant country? What country did you say that you or your relatives are from?

I admit, strongly, that war is Hell, but so is a quick bullet to the back of the head as had been done in so many unjust occasions by some authority that can take complete control of you, your family, and your country. As with about every other social endeavor that humans enter into, sometimes war is necessary.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: live2beknown

It's a hoax...

A few days after posting the article, our Editor-in-Chief began receiving emails from concerned readers notifying us that the story was fabricated and that they had seen these photos before. petapixel.com...

It now appears that the discovery of the camera was real, but the photos were faked. io9.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
What the frack, man. I found a couple cameras I thought I lost 15 years ago and none of it turned out....guess they aren't making them like they used to.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

End the nazi scourge?

The same people who treated African-Americans like animals?

America was every bit as guilty as Hitler and the Nazis.

Nothing ended.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Thanks for the link, I think that if people actually saw the horrors of war, they would be more inclined to stand up and demand that we not participate in the slaughtering of other nations for corporate greed. a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
"It's haunting that this mans ID and camera were found all these years later. We should take it as a sign to not let it get this bad again."

I couldn't agree more. There is a huge amount of people who seem to be war hungry and hoping for things to get out of control with Ukraine/Russia or even ISIS. There is this Hollywood image of one bullet and your opponent falls down silently. This perpetuated zombie survival fantasy is not helping people either. There were some things about the World Wars that taught us about how to get the whole country behind a common goal, and we desperately need that today, but in a more positive way.

The symbolism in a simple children's movie makes more sense than our entire socio-economic policies worldwide. In Monsters INC the characters were thriving off of "screams" only to find that "laughter" is much more powerful energy. When the US spends all this money on murder and territorial control, when we can be reaching out and doing positive things, it just sickens me.

a reply to: Dianec

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
...Very nice. Amazed the roll of film is still good.

originally posted by: neo96
...Can't imagine a new cell phone, or dslr out in the weather for 70+ years.

Still being viable like that roll of film.

originally posted by: live2beknown
...It's pretty impressive that these lasted so long and didn't deteriorate over time!

originally posted by: fenson76
...I found a couple cameras I thought I lost 15 years ago and none of it turned out....guess they aren't making them like they used to.

I wonder sometimes if there's any actual point to posting here, because people clearly don't bother reading the rest of the thread past the first post.

You see it happen time after time on ATS. I can understand it for some of the massive threads that build up over time, but for a three page thread? Seriously? So much for "denying ignorance"

originally posted by: Murgatroid
It's a hoax...

I don't think anyone is paying attention

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob
I wonder sometimes if there's any actual point to posting here, because people clearly don't bother reading the rest of the thread past the first post.

I don't think anyone is paying attention

Yea, they just read the first post or more often just the title and scroll down for pics.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
So awesome to me, Makes me wonder how many buried treasures like this are around the world. Glimpses of the past we almost never saw....blows my tiny mind!

nevermind it's a hoax, w/e thaks A hole!
edit on 8-7-2014 by Fargoth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Thank you for sharing, my father was in the Battle of the Bulge and fought in Patton's 3rd Army. He died 20 years ago from lung problems that was the result of the battle (they were dug in against a trench, he said they were exhausted and he fell asleep, when he woke up he was actually frozen to the ground, he developed pneumonia and had to continue to fight in that condition. He was awarded the Silver Star for dropping a grenade into a Tiger tank that had some GI's trapped. (I found that out in a letter I read after he passed, he wrote to my mom after the battle and he said to do that made him sick and depressed, my mom placed some of the letters in his casket and kept some out, these remaining letters he wrote to my mom we placed in her casket when she died) He refused all his awards and medals plus he wouldn't allow them to give him a battlefield commission. It's funny how war affects different people, my mom said dad loved people so much that even though he was wounded 3 times the war killed a part of him that they didn't understand at that time. He was an excellent shot and went target shooting with my brother and I but mom said he hunted with his brothers a lot before the war (before my time) but he never hunted again when he returned.
He had a military funeral and I have the flag that draped his casket in a glass case in my bedroom.
Thanks for sharing something close to my heart and DNA!
edit on 9-7-2014 by wulff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

Haunting ? for me no. Personally , I find them stark and empty, devoid of humanity. Just war, yet again. Old or new images, does it really matter ??

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

Maybe to you it means nothing but ANOTHER war but to some of us who had relatives in that battle it means a lot, my dad rarely talked of the war but he told me of individual soldiers names and heroic things they did, so to someone like me it is NOT devoid of humanity, it shows the faces of humanity that died so you and others could be free today!
Don't trivialize a war as JUST another war, there are some that were actually fought to help free a suffering humanity.
I can't believe anyone would put a star on your calloused unfeeling post!
edit on 9-7-2014 by wulff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

Clearly they are not paying attention, nor are they reading the whole thread.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

Nostalgia is a great source of happiness these days. Unfortunately they died fighting against similar Ideology that is now pushed in America. Damn shame what's happened. The fine tuned phychological warfare may be too much for our country to ever grasp or understand well enough to defeat.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: wulff

originally posted by: myselfaswell

Haunting ? for me no. Personally , I find them stark and empty, devoid of humanity. Just war, yet again. Old or new images, does it really matter ??

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

Maybe to you it means nothing but ANOTHER war but to some of us who had relatives in that battle it means a lot, my dad rarely talked of the war but he told me of individual soldiers names and heroic things they did, so to someone like me it is NOT devoid of humanity, it shows the faces of humanity that died so you and others could be free today!
Don't trivialize a war as JUST another war, there are some that were actually fought to help free a suffering humanity.
I can't believe anyone would put a star on your calloused unfeeling post!

Ironic then that your post has no stars.

Not everyone views war as a heroic endeavor and not everyone views battles fought long past as a guarantee of freedom now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join