It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope fires board of Vatican finance watchdog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Pope fires board of Vatican finance watchdog

Officials at the bank of Italy have been saying the Institute for Works of Religion, the Vatican's own offshore bank, has for years been allowing organized criminals, even terrorist, to launder money with impunity.

Pope Francis has just axed the all-male, all-Italian board of the body that oversees the Vatican’s financial activities, aiming to draw a line under the money-laundering scandals that plagued his predecessor. It’s the latest sign of the new pontiff’s desire to clean up and open up possibly the only institution that has had more scandals than Wall St in recent years.

The Pope looks at the floor and sees it needs sweeping, still my guitar gently weeps. Something isn't right...

Vatican bank granted reprieve by Pope Francis after series of scandals

The statement said the IOR would continue to "serve with prudence". It added that strict regulatory supervision and improvements in compliance and transparency were critical for the institute's future.

But it said Francis recognised "the importance of the IOR's mission for the good of the Catholic church, the Holy See and the Vatican city state".

Well corrupt as it may be, the Pope recognizes the importance of an offshore bank. It was probably set up initially as a hub for illegal activity but then became so entrenched in modern religious money gymnastics that closing it would create a catastrophe. Got to feed the sharks before it's safe to go swimming again.

Mgr Scarano is alleged to have masterminded a plot that sounds like an airport novel. He attempted to bring €20million in cash belonging to a wealthy family of shipowners from a Swiss bank to Rome in a private plane, thereby evading customs and tax controls.

This is not made up folks. The current Pope has inherited the spawn of Satan himself. It just goes to show you for how long people have been taken for fools.

Italian prosecutors have had their eye on the Vatican bank for several years but, until now, have had great difficulty in obtaining any information from the Holy See, which has pleaded diplomatic immunity and exemption from normal international banking rules on the grounds that the Institute for Works of Religion “is not a bank in the normal sense of the word”.

Juan C. Zarate, now a senior adviser at the Washington, D.C.-based Center for Strategic and International Studies, is one of four people appointed Friday to the board of the Vatican’s Financial Information Authority (AIF), which was set up by Pope Benedict XVI to clean up the Vatican’s financial activities after a string of scandals.

Seems like he picked the runt of the litter. Still looking for the reasoning behind his choice. They seem to single him out in most articles I've read. One can make a quick judgment about his past affiliation to the President and all thing terrorist related.

"No more money-laundering here", says Francis, as he hires the man who chased down Saddam’s millions.

US and British Support for Hussein Regime

Except, we helped put Saddam into power. He was set up like a domino only to be toppled at the right moment, allowing us to get one foot in the door to a house party we weren't invited to.

US intelligence helped Saddam's Ba`ath Party seize power for the first time in 1963. Evidence suggests that Saddam was on the CIA payroll as early as 1959, when he participated in a failed assassination attempt against Iraqi strongman Abd al-Karim Qassem. In the 1980s, the US and Britain backed Saddam in the war against Iran, giving Iraq arms, money, satellite intelligence, and even chemical & bio-weapon precursors. As many as 90 US military advisors supported Iraqi forces and helped pick targets for Iraqi air and missile attacks.

The United Snakes of America at their best. Now they have the guy who helped bring Saddam down.

Juan C. Zarate

Juan Zarate is a senior adviser at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), the senior national security analyst for CBS News, a visiting lecturer at the Harvard Law School, and a national security and financial integrity consultant. Zarate served as deputy assistant to the president and deputy national security adviser for combating terrorism from 2005 to 2009 and was responsible for developing and implementing the U.S. government’s counterterrorism strategy and policies related to transnational security threats. He was the first ever assistant secretary of the treasury for terrorist financing and financial crimes, where he led domestic and international efforts to attack terrorist financing, the innovative use of the Treasury Department’s national security–related powers, and the global hunt for Saddam Hussein’s assets. He is also a former federal prosecutor who served on terrorism prosecution teams prior to 9/11, including the investigation of the USS Cole attack.

The three other new board members are, by the Holy See’s standards, a diverse bunch: they include Maria Bianca Farina, head of the Italian Postal Service’s insurance arm, and Joseph Yuvaraj Pillay, the former head of Singapore’s central bank. Marc Odendall, a former banker who administers and advises philanthropic organisations, completes the line-up.

So far during my search, these candidates appear to be squeaky clean. Still trying to find those pieces of dirty laundry...

The agency’s new statutes, approved in November, stipulate that the board members must have recognized professional competence in legal, economic and financial fields, and be free from any conflict of interest.

Source 2
Source 3
Source 4

"I don't know why nobody told you
How to unfold your love
I don't know how someone controlled you
They bought and sold you" - George Harrison

edit on 6-7-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
This seems to fall right in line with what Pope Francis has been doing since he took over for Benedict. It's a good thing.

I am not Catholic, but I find that I like Pope Francis rather well. I think what he has been trying to do and what he has done since he became Pope is likely closer to what a Pope should be than some of his predecessors.

He does seem to be trying to crack down on the pedophilia, the grossly opulent lifestyle of his office and those in the church, and get things back to basics and you can't fuss about that. It is more than others have done.

As a Christian, I like Pope Francis very much. He seems to be trying to live a life similar to WWJD. Of course... There will be people who are not happy regardless of what he is doing. But I do feel he is trying very hard to usher in new thoughts on the church and on the office itself, and pulling further away from the stereotypical papacy of yore.
edit on 7/5/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Sorry I don't care any more about the Vatican and all it's child molesting and mafia money laundering. The EU and NATO should invade and put us and them out of the misery they have caused.

Some places are just too evil to remain. I know Francis seems like a good guy but IMO it's too late to redeem this corrupt bunch. I mean c'mon, they've been at this for centuries.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Hopefully he helps the Vatican become a good organization again. They have been plagued with problems. The Devil had hold of it for a while now....the devil is another word for trickery or deceit in my mind. Satan and Lucifer are different, they may be some sort of beings, possibly a powerful collective consciousness.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

This reminds me of the P2 or Propaganda Due conspiracy of the 70's and early 80's.It was a pseudo-Masonic black lodge operating in secret eause the Italian government had outlawed it involved Italian mafia, the Vatican owned Banco Ambrosiano, members of Italian parliament,members of Italy's military elite, Victor Emannuelle (a savoy pretender to the Itallian throne) , Silvio Berlusconi who went on o become Prime Minister of Italy, the murder of a journalist investigating it as well as of Itallian banker Roberto Calvin who, if I remember correctly, was found hanging under a bridge in London with his pockets filled with rocks and some ties to catholic Bishop Paul Marcinkus nicknamed "the gorilla" who was Pope John Paul II bodyguard and alleged mafia enforcer. I wonder hw deep the current issues run and how deep it has proliferated through the Catican and Italian government?

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

Sorry I don't care any more about the Vatican and all it's child molesting and mafia money laundering. The EU and NATO should invade and put us and them out of the misery they have caused.

Some places are just too evil to remain. I know Francis seems like a good guy but IMO it's too late to redeem this corrupt bunch. I mean c'mon, they've been at this for centuries.

Amen! LOL

It is a *testament* to how deep the seed has been sown. Some things are just too evil to wipe clean. The farther one goes back in history the more open and brutal the church has wielded it's power. There are those who see it and many who are just not willing to believe it. Head in the sand.

This is one of those save face situations in order to not offset the current balance of power between the Vatican and it's list of VIP's and bill collectors.

edit on 5-7-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Till I see otherwise...I too, call it, WINDOW DRESSING!

top topics

join