It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new Pink Floyd album in October called The Endless River

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
"Bet you never thought this would happen: Pink Floyd will be releasing a new album in the fall to coincide with the twentieth anniversary and deluxe reissue of their final album, The Division Bell. The new album is called The Endless River and is based on 1994 sessions with Richard Wright. The news was revealed by David Gilmour’s wife Polly Samson on Twitter, who calls it “Rick Wright’s swansong and very beautiful.”

consequenceofsound.net...

Can't wait.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

My first thought was "how dumb of an idea this is now that Rick Wright is dead" but if they're using material from earlier sessions with him I'm all for it. I'm just not a fan of the lyrics Gilmour write with his wife's "assistance". But his guitar p,aging more than makes up for it.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

This is fantastic! I love Pink Floyd, before and after all the distress. Thanks for posting this. I await this new music... well I don't really have a description. Pink Floyd with, Sid Barrett, David Gilmour, Roger Waters, whatever. The music they have produced is world class. Looking forward to it.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I'm a huge Floyd fan, I can't say I'm excited about this. Water's stuff hasn't been worth a damn since before The final Cut, and Gilmour has soured a little. Meh...

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
YES!! I'm a die hard Floyd fan. I believe this will be a great new album. However I feel it will be more of a tribute to Richard Wright. As for Roger Waters, I could care less if he was on it. Don't get me wrong, Waters was a huge part of the Pink Floyd we know today. Darkside of the Moon, Wish You were Here, Animals, The Wall, they were the golden years for Floyd...However The Final Cut is a great album...it is just a Waters solo album IMO. Much the same A Momentary Lapse of Reason is a Gilmour solo album. I feel the Division Bell was one of the greatest Floyd albums ever, and hope this new one comes close to that style.

Floyd proved they could be successful without Waters. After all it was 3 of them and only 1 of Roger. Just the name is a larger selling point. More people are going to buy a Pink Floyd album, rather than a David Gilmour album featuring Nick Mason and the recordings of Richard Wright..."who are these people?" lol

Pink Floyd has a song for all my major life events...Breath, Young Lust, Money, Sorrow, Wish you were here, Coming back to life...

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

WOW! That's incredible! I certainly did not see it coming. I hope there is still some good Glimour influence though, I love his flair in Floyd's music. And if the songs are anything like what's on Division Bell… We are in for some serious treats.

Fantastic news, thank you so much!

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
David: Enough!

Yours truly, a fan who knows old men should know when to stop.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I think you need to take some time to---

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Between this and the new Tool CD expected, I just wet my knickers!

Don't they have a whole bunch of unreleased Michael Jackson songs as well?

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: jwag100

There was a whole albums worth, supposedly, from the DB sessions so it may capture that vibe. There's other material from other places so who knows where this actually came from.

For me, this ain't Floyd. Their last album was The Wall and they were fracturing at that point. Anything after is a Waters or Gilmour solo album with the PF guys backing whomever.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
a reply to: jwag100

There was a whole albums worth, supposedly, from the DB sessions so it may capture that vibe. There's other material from other places so who knows where this actually came from.

For me, this ain't Floyd. Their last album was The Wall and they were fracturing at that point. Anything after is a Waters or Gilmour solo album with the PF guys backing whomever.

Amen.

Wait.. Animals was before The Wall, right? Animals seems to be a criminally underrated album. Nowhere near my personal favorite, Meddle, though.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

Yes, Animals before The Wall(except after C). I would think most PF fans dig Animals and I know the prog community holds it pretty high in the Floyd canon. The press or your average bandwagon fan might not know it from Meddle or Ummagumma but those people don't count.

Here's a little more on the new one, a tidbit from Wiki:

Shortly after, long-time Pink Floyd backing vocalist Durga McBroom revealed on Facebook that the basis of the music on the new album was the long-fabled instrumental project recorded at the same time as The Division Bell known as The Big Spliff with more work done by Gilmour and Mason, since. McBroom also revealed that tour plans are not confirmed yet and that Guy Pratt, Pink Floyd's bassist since 1986, is also involved indicating that this is probably the usual Pink Floyd team from A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Can't wait personally! Anything recorded with Guilmour playing guitar on it is worth gold...

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Can't wait to hear it. I also can't wait to see if there are any hidden messages in the cover art, etc..

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Not sure whether to be excited or afraid, much like a new star wars movie.
edit on 8-7-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

top topics

join