It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Changing My Major, Tips?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
OK, so I finished my first year of college at the local Community College. I started out my first semester in Microsoft Networking, I ended up changing over winter break to Computer Information Systems Specialization, Business Administration. I changed out of that half way through the semester because there was only 4 computer classes, I figured it was a waste of time considering there was only 4 computer classes, and the rest were math and business classes. It was a 2+2(meaning you have to transfer to a UNI to get your degree -- a uni I cannot afford! I ended up transferring over to Mechatronic Engineering; which the local mill, and the pipelines are hiring people before they even get the degree -- which is why I wanted to go into it. I came to the realization that I could never do the math or science involved in the curriculum.

Keep in mind, my first semester I had 3 computer classes, second semester I didn't take any because of how up in the air I was with everything, I decided to take the general required classes.

So, now tuesday I'm going back to change my major...again -_-. I realize (even though I never took the classes, looking at the pass:fail ratio, and the fact I am TERRIBLE at math and science. I struggled through my first semester of math which was arithmetic. THen the second semester I took Intro to Algebra, I couldn't tell you a single thing I did to get a B. Not a single thing; I just managed to get by and got the grade. THen this summer I took a Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 (its a dual class of 10 weeks to do 38 topics so you can take your majors math requirements) I just about finished surprisingly enough, but the class (it's self passed, online, and you have to have an 80% on the test to move on) ended and shut me out.

All that being said, I'm not sure of what I should change my major to :-/. Here's my options:

CIT Systems Development A.A.S (Computer programming, it focuses on Java, VB, HTML/CSS, Javascript, and Access/SQL -- essentially that's the courses with JAVA being the main There is a series of 3 JAVA classes) I'm worried about this one because everyone says you have to be good at math to understand and be a good programmer. Plus what is the job outlook on someone with an A.A.S. in computer programming?

Microsoft Applications and Support Desk A.A.S. (Looks like a bore-fest. You have 1 Java Class, Windows 7 class, UNIX and LINUX class, and a class for word, excel, powerpoint, publisher, etc. Looks very manageable, but incredibly boring, and looks absolutely useless, especially with an A.A.S....)

ANd there's also the Microsoft Networking...but again, not sure how useful it would be.

What I am asking, is which should I do? I'd like to have decent job opportunities; but I also don't want to look stupid, and not understand what is going on. I've always wanted to be a programmer, even back in Jr. High school and prior. But, hows the job oppertunities with an A.A.S.? What about being terrible with math?

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
It really doesn't matter what you major in as long as you learn to speak Spanish and Chinese because ultimately
you will need those languages to succeed in the coming global business world.
The Chinese will be the world economic power in the near future. 10yrs.
edit on 5-7-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Which elements appeal to you? Infosec\Opsec, Collaboration\Unified Communications\Voice (this is my professional field), data centers, servers, design, programming, switching\routing....

Figure out which one of those appeal to you then focus on that. No one call tell you what to do, only you can decide that.

If you do choose something networking related you can't go wrong pursuing one of the Cisco+VMWare tracks if you plan to go after an IT job.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I suggest you pony up, buckle down, and learn the GD math + science. Buy supplemental books, put in extra hours, look up free lessons online for any concept that catches you out.

You CAN learn those topics, you're just not willing to put in the hard work and time it'd require. Community colleges almost always have free math tutoring available, and you could probably find a science tutor just as easily.

Bottom line--if you want to make it work, you'll find a way to make it happen. You can succeed if you try; I know you can. The only question is... will you bother?

Also: How's your diet? Are you eating a paleo-style diet of nothing more than natural (preferably organic) meats, fruits, and veggies? Are you avoiding fluoride in the water, which is known to lower IQ.

Are you looking into notropics (brain supplements) like vinpocetine, piracetam, aniracetam, gotu kola, and ginseng?

Are you exercising regularly and keeping in shape? Unless the sword of your body is sharp, your mind won't be either.

Again, are you doing everything in your power to make your dream happen and ensure you become a success? Or are you jumping ship too early and looking for any excuse to fail?

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: wwe9112

Here's something to think about... We have two teachers who teach computer programming in the technical school I where I teach. The teacher who has a college degree in computers knows less and is technically clueless than the teacher who went to a technical school in computer information systems. Our entire faculty has noticed this just by experiencing how each of them are able to solve their computer problems.

A little bit about myself, I have a 4 year college degree and a 2 year associates degree from a technical school. I also have a teaching certificate in Mechanical CAD drafting. My college degree was in Graphic Arts Management (Never used it except for a management job I once held). My associates degree was in Mechanical Computer-Aided Drafting. I also received a training certificate in machine set-up and operations from another technical school. All of my trade school training was done after graduating from college.

From my own personal experience, my 2 year technical training at a technical school was much more focused and hands-on. It honestly opened more doors for me than by college degree. I've taught CAD at the high school level and in adult night school.

My personal opinion, (and I'm not trying to sway your pursuit of a college degree), I just personally know nothing beats hands-on training. When it comes to learning a technical skills, the more hands-on time you have working with technical equipment from people who have worked in the field, the more efficient and technically knowledgeable you become. College prepares you to be well rounded and knowledgeable beyond your specific degree. However, when it comes down to it, the first thing that a potential employer is going to ask you in your first interview is "what and how much experience do you have?"

I personally think colleges need to look more at how technical schools prepare their students for the real world. You can have a masters degree in a technical skill, but unless you have enough hands-on hours manipulating hardware, analyzing, making mistakes, problem solving, utilizing related technical math needed to repair or program, and actually doing what is expected on a real job, a degree is only worth as much as the paper it's printed on.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I'd say get some experience with computer systems administration or anything that gives you multi-processing and server experience. The creative content companies that are looking for programmers/engineers with mathematics also expect them to have experience with multi-core systems (render farms). It seems they are always on the lookout for sys admins to work graveyard shifts. Most of the diagnostic tools are web page based as well

If you are wanting to work in the creative arts, you also need to get web page design experience in order to manage and present your own portfolio and blog showing your latest projects.

I'm guessing that if you are going to do any kind of design of mechatronic systems, you will at some point have to give presentations on how the systems are designed and implemented. That will require Powerpoint and Publisher experience in order to do talks and presentations or explain to someone else how the system works.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: wwe9112

I am thinking a call to edward snowden would make a difference. But in all seriousness I would learn industrial computers systems like PLC's they control the world, are much more interesting, and there is a niche here that is often missed and where the decent paycheck lives.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Microsoft networking is not as useful as cisco networking.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
Microsoft networking is not as useful as cisco networking.

Yah..exactly...
If you are interested in networking , ethernet or 802.11, then your focus should be on Cisco and not Microsoft.
if you are interested in an operating system and applications then your focus should be on Microsoft and not Cisco.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Thanks you guys! I ended up choosing programming; I figured at the very least I'm sure I could find a job at a helpdesk somewhere near.

The pipelines are also pretty popular around here, so maybe even do that if I cannot find a job after college; who knows. I just hope I didn't make a stupid mistake and screw up my life.

Thanks for your input! I do appreciate it greatly!

top topics

join