It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Train derailment dumps 737's into MT river.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: IamSirDrinksalot

originally posted by: foxhound1431
Reminds me off the time the Belfast to Dublin Guinness freight train derailed Nr the goods yard in Belfast transporting kegs off the black stuff,
The locals had a field day pinching the beer kegs but didn't know that the front three flat wagons had Whiskey vodka and gin in the beer kegs,

I did though because i was the track walker for that section of track.
"what ever you say, say nothing".

Fox.

This didnt happen though did it:

1. There is no Guinness freight train

2. Guinness is made in Dublin so the train would run from Dublin to Belfast (if it existed) not Belfast to Dublin as you write.

3. Vodka, Whisky and Gin are not transported in kegs.

4. The Guinness factory doesnt make Vodka, Whisky and Rum and therefore wouldnt store it all on its imaginery train.

So the only train crash here (except for the Boeing one) is you and your fairytales.

Quick theres a Leprechaun, catch the wee fella and abuse him for his gold Mick.

Such a harsh and arrogant reply, I am very pleased to have read that you have been proven wrong and I eagerly await your apology to the person who you spoke to in such a disrespectful and rude fashion.
edit on 6-7-2014 by dmfsb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: dmfsb

Thank you dmfsb very grateful for that comment,

My 15 year railway service badge and presentation engine (Type 200 Loco DEMU)
Am Awaiting my 20 year badge soon

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
As has been said this is MRL. The track itself is owned by BNSF but MRL has leased it and is responsible for maintaining it. The crew would be all MRL. Derailments happen, unfortunately. Just like accidents anywhere else. Things break or wear out or it could have been caused by a rock or mud slide in the canyon there. Probably not the crew's fault since the speed is low there, and the switches are all controlled not manual. Very happy it is airframes that are in the river and not something nasty. That train WILL have nasty stuff somewhere further back the 737s are always on the point of a train. We have had chlorine and ammonia spills in that general area before, and it isn't pretty.

As a side note.... Warren Buffet owns both BNSF and MRL railroads. I am guessing Geico will be getting a bill soon.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman
a reply to: Zaphod58

That would be awesome! They looked like they were pretty intact (the ones in the river). Total loses for Boeing though.

It'll be insured for sure

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

Of course, but there's a backlog on the 737 line because of the sheer number of orders. They'll get the insurance payout, but that doesn't help with the backlog.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

Like Zaph said they are all that color.
I think it is a coating/film they put over the bare aluminum to protect it from corrosion (since they are exposed to the elements) before it is finally assembled.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Montana

Mud slide like this? (there is cursing in it):

This happened North of me a couple of years back. They have to clear tracks a least a couple times a year from slides like this.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

It also helps during the life of the aircraft as well.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman
Looks like plastic film

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Weird salmon, looks like they are beaching themselves!

Re the color, this is the standard shipping color before they are painted, they come this way from Kansas(?) into and out of the Renton 737 assembly plant. I(I work nearby and see the trains going in)

I'll be waiting to see what Boeing does with these. Hopefully scrap but ....

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman
a reply to: weirdguy

Heck with a few rafts and a few beers...anythings possible.

ahh, yes, the power of beer. It's how they built the pyramids you know.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=18113199]dmfsb

Such a harsh and arrogant reply, I am very pleased to have read that you have been proven wrong and I eagerly await your apology to the person who you spoke to in such a disrespectful and rude fashion.

Here is a neck winder in device for the white knight of internetshire, dmfsb.

Exactly how I have been proven wrong - anyway, this is as much off topic as the post about the train de-railment in Norn Ireland.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: wasobservingquietly
Hmmm...
Does anyone know if that color is primer,
or belongs to a specific airline?
I've never seen that color before!

Funny how the way they landed,
you can see the cockpits of all three,
but not the tail ends!
What are the odds?
And don't say 1 in 3!

The second pic reminds me of a hatched Robin's egg!
Does that metal look awful dang thin to anyone else???
WOQ

that's the corrosion coating on all airplanes.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
They're looking at about a two day gap in production with the loss of these parts.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
They're looking at about a two day gap in production with the loss of these parts.

If all six is assumed scrap then it's three days of production work by Spirit who assembles the 737 fuselages in Kansas. Since the rate right now is 42 planes per month it should be a small hiccup in production and Spirit will have a bit of OT this month available to build replacements.

As of now, three have been recovered but the others are just hard to get to but looks like the next day or two it all should be finished.

I'm looking forward to more parts to build but with what we have to assemble now we likely won't notice much more work on the shelf for our stuff.

A couple years ago a big tornado hit spirit and damage buildings and cut off power to the place, but production came back very quick and there wasn't very much catching up that needed to be done.

reference

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: wasobservingquietly
Hmmm...
Does anyone know if that color is primer,
or belongs to a specific airline?
I've never seen that color before!

Pretty sure the blu-ish green of the fuselages is plastic film over bare metal - I've seen it on spare parts before. You can see that the window and exit blanks are the "normal" green primer.

IIRC 737 fuselages were mostly 0.036" or 0.040" alloy way back in my day - with a "web" of the same thickness inside as crack stopper.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Shaker

I'm assuming just the three that actually derailed will be written off. Either way, it'll hurt, but not a lot.

I remember when Spirit was hit. I about cried over all those getting wiped out. I wanted one for a house then too.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Not necessarily. Even if one wheel on one of those rail cars carrying them hits the ground they will scrap the whole thing.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

Oh I know it could be all of them, but currently it sounds like just the three.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
If, as someone said, the fuselages are placed at the head end of the train, then this was probably a wash out or "soft spot" caused by water running off downhill toward the river. Locomotives made it over, airplane bodies not so much.

<< 1    3 >>

join