It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bushcraft 101: Part 2 - The Five C's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This installment is all about the essentials of what you need to succeed in the wilderness.
For you Greenhorns, I present the 5 C's.

Cutting tool- Take a step off the beaten path with an experienced outdoorsman and you will quickly see the affection they have for their trusted sidekicks, whether it be the knife on their side or the axe in their kits, a good cutting tool may be the most important of the 5 C's.

Combustion- Never leave home without the means to make fire and the practice it takes to light one. Many people carry matches,lighters and ferrocerium rods in their kits and supplement those with the knowledge and practice of primitive fire starting methods such as flint striking, bow drill, and fire piston.

Cordage- It should be good quality, strong stuff and enough for you to build a shelter and then some. Learning to make cordage from what is around would be a great skill to learn as well.

Container-These are always needed and should be strong enough to withstand constant exposure to heat because you will be using them to boil. I would advise against anything made of aluminum.

Cover- the first layer of cover is what you are wearing, make sure its weather appropriate. Pack some form of emergency shelter tarp,tent,emergency blanket. Anything you can use in a pinch to get out of the elements.

There they are, the 5 C's. remember, practice makes perfect.
As always, questions and additions are welcome.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
6 C's.

Cuts - first aid kit.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astr0
6 C's.

Cuts - first aid kit.

I knew i was forgetting something, Thank you

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
I knew i was forgetting something, Thank you

Not a problem at all. C6 is how I wrote it down many, many years ago when setting out on my first great wilderness adventure.

Great times, and highly recommended to all whilst they are still able to go seek a great wide wilderness.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
My way then of remembering my C6.

Cordage out to get the Cover up, then get the Cutter and Combustion working to make it warm enough for me to deal with Cuts after having a Container of hot sweet tea for morale.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Astr0

Also, if anyone is anything like me they carry an excessive amount of first aid items to patch up their accident prone a##es

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut

Also, if anyone is anything like me they carry an excessive amount of first aid items to patch up their accident prone a##es

....and some super glue.

Oh yes, always travel with the best superglue you can buy.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

i like to call it liquid stitches

new topics

top topics

join