Are Royal Enfield motorcycles any good?

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

There's this guy out of Denver who posted his 2014 Royal Enfield C5 Bullet with sidecar, as seen above...for sale

And I got to thinking this bike, while a new version of the old military bikes was pretty cool and might be worth going out there to talk with the guy...

thing is I know nothing about Royal Enfield motorcycles--- didn't even know new ones were offered for sale here in Colorado until just today???

So does anyone know anything about them---good, bad worth taking a look at or not? help me out here guys

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps
I was actually looking at them a while back, a friend who served in WWII loved them nostagically, and he loved the one he rode, but he was in the military at the time, so it was easier to get parts.

I had only decided on a different company due to the ease of getting replacement parts. I may be mistaken, but the newer models might be fuel injection for emission standards, and they still use drum breaks; this might have changed since I last looked at them.
This doesn't mean I still don't love them, i'd still love to own one, but not as a workaday bike. I love the look of them. It's more of a cafe bike compared to say, Harley Davidson.

Look around your area for a RE dealer, and check him out to see if he can bring in parts.
edit on 5-7-2014 by TheCounselor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

The " Real " Royal Enfield bikes went out of production 1n 1971. They where built a few miles from where i live. Royal Enfield was one of the great British bikes, along with Triumph, BSA, Norton, Ariel, Velocette, Vincent and many more. Sadly all now long gone, but Triumph do still manufacture.

The Royal Enfield bike you are asking about are now built in India, so i know nothing about them. It's called Royal Enfield but it's not a true Royal Enfield.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong
Aha! Learn something new everyday- I had always associated the bike with India, but it was originally British!
My friend would have had a British model then, that long ago.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheCounselor
Aha! Learn something new everyday- I had always associated the bike with India, but it was originally British!
My friend would have had a British model then, that long ago.

Yes, British indeed. Here is a little of their History:-

en.wikipedia.org...

Britain use to have the greatest motorcycle industry in the world.
Mainly all gone now.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I knew about the old bikes being made in the UK...
read a story about a doctor who crossed all of Africa north to south on one...

just didn't know anything about these new made in India bikes???

Given that Jag's are now owned by a Indian company there's a chance they could pretty good, right?

edit on 5-7-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

I knew about the old bikes being made in the UK...
read a story about a doctor who crossed all of Africa north to south on one...

just didn't know anything about these new made in India bikes???

Given that Jag's are now owned by a Indian company there's a change they could pretty good, right?

Yes, Jag is now owned by Tata Ltd, but the vehicles are still built in The U.K. Quality is A1
However the Royal Enfield bikes that are built in India, i have no idea what the quality would be like.

If you can afford or are interested in purchasing a bike, i would suggest a vintage British bike from the names i listed in my first post.

I had a BSA Goldie similar to the one in the video below. I chopped it in a few years ago and now have a 1964 Triumph TR4 classic car.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Ural also makes bikes with cargo side cars. Some models even have two wheel drive! The brits made great bikes back in the day, but I am not sure at all about modern bikes from India. Buyer beware, i suppose.

Ural Motorcycles

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Boy Howdy, that's a beauty!

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheCounselor

Boy Howdy, that's a beauty!

Yes they are a fantastic bike.

My dream was to own a " Cafe Racer", but they are very expensive. If you are into bikes, then this may interest you:-

www.classic-british-motorcycles.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Royal Enfields...the Brit ones are soooooo cooooool.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Agh! With my budget, you show me these things!

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I've owned a few British MC and autos. I love the designs but they need constant maintenance and every single one of them has leaked oil. Jags, Cotton's, MGs,

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I've owned a few British MC and autos. I love the designs but they need constant maintenance and every single one of them has leaked oil. Jags, Cotton's, MGs,

Fixing oil leaks is all part of the fun when owning a British Classic

I am 100% certain that the Austin " A Series" engine was designed purposely to have an in-built oil leaking system.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Uh,....India?
I doont think so.......sounds like a knock off made with the old dies or something.....
Imagine ordering parts......from India.....too long a supply line for an uncertain quality product....stick with what ya know and can get easy....MHO....
edit on 5-7-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I traveled through India about 15 years ago, the Enfield was the bike of choice. There was lots of them with good power compared to other models and fairly easy to fix. The was a lot about India in terms of its technology and architecture that just got stuck in a time warp as the British lost power in the 1960's or 1970's. Not necessarily a bad thing and progress does continue.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
I traveled through India about 15 years ago, the Enfield was the bike of choice. There was lots of them with good power compared to other models and fairly easy to fix. The was a lot about India in terms of its technology and architecture that just got stuck in a time warp as the British lost power in the 1960's or 1970's. Not necessarily a bad thing and progress does continue.

Erm....1940's actually old chap

Independence Day, observed annually on 15 August, is a national holiday in India commemorating the nation's independence from Kingdom of Great Britain [Commonly known as United Kingdom] on 15 August 1947.

Indian Independence

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Wow, that long ago. I was not there when it happened, it was in the time of Gandhi.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Thanks for the advice you guys...
In the end I had to pass on the bike...

this guy was totally stuck on having to have $12,000 bucks for his toy.

So then the question became, why spend that much money on something I know nothing about from a company I never heard of... or save my money for something I know... Like an old BMW R100...

Sooo --- I'm still looking but it is a cool looking bike.

top topics

join