One simple 4th of July request from combat veteran with PTSD

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
[align=center]
[/align]

Jon Dykes is a combat veteran with 10 years of service in the U.S. Army. He’s also one of thousands of American veterans living with post-traumatic stress disorder.

After struggling with PTSD symptoms that lasted for hours during last year’s 4th of July fireworks, Dykes made a sign to let his neighbors in Georgia know he’s a combat veteran, requesting them to “please be courteous with fireworks.”

I saw this Story here on our local news yesterday right before I took the wife and our girls to the city fireworks display.

Anyway as a combat vet myself I too have touch of PTSD... though in my case I'm not bothered by big firework displays like the one put on by the city--- what really gets me is those unexpected loud--- {BOOMS}---

Even when part of my brain registers that it's just some dumb kid with a pocket full of bottle rockets--- training and experience makes me want to grab my gear and race outside to repel attackers! This past new years I had my hands on my pistol before I snapped it was just the neighbors setting off skyrockets.

Now I say that so you all know what I'm like and when it comes to jumpy vets, I'm pretty darn good in my reactions to it...

But there are vets who have it far worse than I... I know a few vets who, come the 4th will pick up a bottle and start drinking until they pass out--- just to avoid all the loud booms. I knew one guy back in Kansas who'll close his drapes, lock his doors and spend the forth huddled up in a corner reliving one his horrible flash backs.

I know this post is a bit late in coming as the 4th is over now but I'd just like everyone to keep this story in mind... there are a lot of Veterans who suffer from PTSD... And loud unexpected noises set us off big time... Now I know there will be mean spirited folks who'll think if great fun to torment someone like my Kansas Friend... But remember too there are vets like me who grab for our guns first and you may not like the way we flash back...

“Please, be courteous with fireworks.”

edit on 5-7-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

that's kinda interesting, never really considered that until now?

i've been hearing about dogs & bats continually spooked by fireworks & hearing lots of idiots people claim they have more empathy for animals than their fellow man (yet those fireworks keep going off and after every new years celebration i keep seeing 'missing dog' posters) i wonder how all this is going to turn out for that guy?

i got a newfound respect for PTSD after someone tried to do me in and some time later someone tried walking behind me in the supermarket /whistles

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: UNIT76

All of us who have PTSD have our little coping mechanisms to deal---

I'll put on a set of headphones and blast the music so loud I don't hear the pops...
But it doesn't help with the big booms that you feel as well as hear...

If I had it real bad like this guy apparently does---I think I'd have to take an annual trip as far away from people and fireworks as I could get...

Just saying...

edit on 5-7-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

First of all, thank you for your service. ... When I was younger, I had a friend next door and her dad was a VietNam Vet. She and her siblings kind of tried to explain the 4th of July to the rest of us kids in the neighborhood, but because we were young and I'm sure they were worried about being different, they only were able to say that their dad "didn't like fireworks" and then some stuff about he was a Vet.

My husband's parents' survived WW2 bombings in Europe. They try to hide their trauma about fireworks, but you can see the stress they feel even now when they hear them (New Year, soccer games, etc.). I personally just don't like the noise so it's maybe easier for me to sympathize. I don't know. But I do know this....hearing those sounds bothers me and I was never in a war. I'm sorry that you and those you served with had to live through that and then have to hear sounds that take you right back there. I have no idea what that must be like.

Again, thank you for your service. And thank you for your post.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
My brother is a Viet Nam vet and he has the same problem. He cannot stand to go the fireworks shows and at home, he jumps every time they go off in the neighborhood. Even his wife has a hard time understanding what it does to him but she doesn't insist on going to the shows. If she wants to go she goes with her daughter and their family and he can stay home.

Its not easy on these vets and I would venture to say that most people don't really think about Viet Nam vets when thinking about PTSD.
edit on 7/5/2014 by TXTriker because: typo

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ChouChou

Thank you...

Just so you know---we all have different triggers...
My trigger is smell...

My wife works in a hospital and she knows how I react to the smell of blood... so there are places there where she works she keeps me well away from...

that's another thing most folks don't know about PTSD... we all have different triggers... most of us will tell you what they are if you ask... and they can be most anything sight sound smell.

Just so ya know.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TXTriker

You don't have to be a Vet to suffer from this kind of PTSD...

I have a friend who used to be the sales director of Panasonic South America.

Basically a big shot salesmen but because of where he lived he spent a good deal of his youth surrounded by drug gangs and everyday shoot outs.

I've seen him dive into a rose bush when his own kid popped a balloon behind him...accidently of course.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
You don't have to be a Vet to suffer from this kind of PTSD...

True.

Spring/Summer 2010 I had a very bad experience with the healthcare system and with illness. Before that, I was rock solid and didn't get flustered. I could have been described as stoic in the face of health problems. But after 6 months of being in an undiagnosed autoimmune cascade as well as being misdiagnosed and the bad and unnecessary drugs (including chemo that crossed the blood brain barrier) that I was forced to take .... I am now a freak'n mess of anxiety and depression when it comes to anything medical happening with me. Even a damn toothache. It seriously messed with my brain.

Total panic. And the only thing that even remotely helps .. and I do mean REMOTELY ... is that I have to drag to the front of my mind patriotic things like the Pioneers who settled the west, and the Revolutionary war troops who were teenagers but willing to go off and fight. I try to keep in the front of my mind ... 'do them proud .. be an American'.

That's all that I can pull up to get through anything medical now. And that may seem really absurd to most people, but anyone with any kind of PTSD can understand, I'm sure.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Last year i was chased, tasered, and arrested because i was executing combat maneuvers, unarmed through the town i used to live in. this year i had moved to a more rural location and had gone to each of my neighbors to explain my situation in hopes they would consider my condition during this years celebration. Apparently they didn't give a # because the fireworks in the immediate vicinity continued well into the late night. Luckily, i had anticipated that and had a case of beer. blaring tv, and had my wife hide my firearms. It just goes to show that even though you're nice about it and try to explain your condition, people generally don't care even when they say they do. Next year im going camping a few miles away from civilization.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

About a year ago I was being evaluated and they thought I had PSTD (not associated with being in combat) and although I am doing a lot better now, I know about triggers and what they can do mentally/emotionally/physically.

I can't imagine what it is to go through anything that causes the smell of blood to be a trigger, but it's important that you are able to express that and have a good support system.

If you hadn't made this post, I never would have thought about the fireworks connection to PTSD and Vets again, even though I should have. And I certainly never would have thought about other triggers. Hopefully people who read this post will gain an understanding of what many of our service men and women are going through.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

S&F for keeping my heart alive
May light go out to all the poor souls who have to live with this kind of thing i cannot help but feel sadness for them.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Sometimes I whistle "We're off to see the wizard"
that little tune from the wizard of Oz.

To my wife and close friends they know it as a warning I'm getting stressed to the point where I might have a panic attack or worse, flash back...

Odd thing is I don't know why that song?
why not something more bad-A like "Bat out of Hell" I'd even settle for something like 'Sweet child of mine' by Guns N' Roses ...

But no, I do a tune the munchkins made famous---- sighs...

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

My code phrase is "S# is about to get F*ing stupid around here.."
no idea why that phrase comes out, it just does when the nerves and shakes get to the breaking point

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

True. I'm not a veteran, but I do have PTSD. My trigger is doors opening and closing.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Heres an idea, maybe us veterans with PTSD could get together and petition/request for free use of a state/national forest campground area during the July 4th weekend with a strict "Fireworks Prohibited" rule as a sanctuary

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

Here in Colorado we already have a strict fireworks ban in place...

one of those, always been that way deals prob because this is wildfire country.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I cannot convey the amount of envy i have at this very moment

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I would be much more likely to respond to this mans polite request than I would to any laws. Probably, because I respect someone who laid his butt on the line for his country rather than someone who sits on his butt making craptastic laws.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I don't think this guy is asking for a law to be passed...

sounds to me like he's just saying... fireworks really freak me out... so could you not set them off next to me place...

at least that's what I came away with after ready the story?

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I was saying a polite request from a vet is more powerful to me than any laws that could be passed. I wasn't suggesting he wanted any laws made on his behalf. It is easier for me to give respect to my neighbor than fealty to some lawmaker.
edit on 2014/7/5 by Metallicus because: sp

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join